Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 03:02 PM

318 posts, read 262,779 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me interpret a sentence from a book I'm reading? The book is Allegros "the End of a Road", and it is talk about the massive wealth of the Catholic and Anglican church. Here is the sentence: «It's easy enough to draw stark contrast between this kind of wealth and the dabbling in the money market that it's manipulation entails, and the professed pauperism of the early Christians, but a massive organization like the church requires massive administrative facilities.» The part i don't get is «dabbling in the money market that it's manipulation entails» Someone please? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Don't worry about sentences like that. If the writer has something worthwhile to say, they will take the time to express their thoughts in a simple way.

It looks like this writer just likes to babble.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:10 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
The line drawn between the poverty of an administration and honest poverty is the clothes-lines of the poor.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:19 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,027,691 times
They're saying if you have a lot of money to manage, you eventually end up doing stuff with it that everyone else with lots of money does; taking part in buying, selling and using money as the resource itself, I.e. not buying and selling other things with it. The Vatican's bank is probably a good example.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans12 View Post
Can anyone help me interpret a sentence from a book I'm reading? The book is Allegros "the End of a Road", and it is talk about the massive wealth of the Catholic and Anglican church. Here is the sentence: «It's easy enough to draw stark contrast between this kind of wealth and the dabbling in the money market that it's manipulation entails, and the professed pauperism of the early Christians, but a massive organization like the church requires massive administrative facilities.» The part i don't get is «dabbling in the money market that it's manipulation entails» Someone please? Thanks
What I get when I read that, is the author saying that in order for the church to have that sort of wealth, that it probably gained it in manipulative ways- and in comparison with the early Christians, well, there's no comparison, lol.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default Savanarola

The story is told that the great Italian Dominican friar Savanarola, who campaigned against clerical corruption and championed the poor, was once invited to tour one of the large churches in 15th century Rome. At the conclusion of the tour of the great, ornate facility, the parrish priest said to Savanarola, "You can see that we are no longer the church of old where Peter and John had to say, 'Silver and gold have we none.'"

"No," replied Savanarola, "but neither can you say, like them, 'Rise up and walk.'"

Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM

114 posts, read 79,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
They're saying if you have a lot of money to manage, you eventually end up doing stuff with it that everyone else with lots of money does; taking part in buying, selling and using money as the resource itself, I.e. not buying and selling other things with it. The Vatican's bank is probably a good example.
While they were robbing the Vatican, you were out front watching for the cops.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias_who_has_come View Post
While they were robbing the Vatican, you were out front watching for the cops.
Explain, please, how you got that out of Age-enduring's post.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans12 View Post
To me, "the End of a Road " is the coming end when the political will surprisingly turn on the religious world.
Perhaps a bad economy could make the 'wealth' the churches have amassed look easy for the political taking.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:09 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
The author is just trying to say that these churches have large amounts of wealth. Enough to invest over time, as opposed to just giving immediately to those in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity