Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 01:03 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Peter was martyred in the year 67 and Paul was martyred in the same year. These men could not have written the whole bible let alone compiled them.
Janelle- Did Peter die when he "supposedly" was "crucified upside down?"

Also, I asked an earlier question. Are popes under the authority of Apostles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 01:04 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
catholic doctrine is full of non-biblical teachings.
That is called called Sacred Oral Tradition Vizio.

How do you think Mark wrote the gospel? He got the info from Peter via Oral tradition.

How do you think Christianity operated until the Catholic Church put the canon of the NT together?

How do you think Rome spread Christianity to Germany, England, France, Spain, Portugal, etc before the printing press was invented in the 15th century.

It was ALL word of mouth and tradition Vizio.

The worship of the Bible (bibliolatry) is new, probably no more than a 100 years old.

The old mainstream Protestants kept many of the Catholic teachings and to this day have services similar to the mass.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:22 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
That is called called Sacred Oral Tradition Vizio.
Why is it sacred?
Quote:

How do you think Mark wrote the gospel? He got the info from Peter via Oral tradition.
So why doesn't your church follow the words of the apostles?
Quote:

How do you think Christianity operated until the Catholic Church put the canon of the NT together?
God used the apostles to lead the church.
Quote:

How do you think Rome spread Christianity to Germany, England, France, Spain, Portugal, etc before the printing press was invented in the 15th century.
I would argue that Rome didn't spread the Gospel. They spread the church, but don't confuse that with Christianity.
Quote:

It was ALL word of mouth and tradition Vizio.

The worship of the Bible (bibliolatry) is new, probably no more than a 100 years old.
This is offensive, Julian. I won't call you a Mary worshiper if you don't call us a Bible worshiper. We don't worship the Bible.
Quote:
The old mainstream Protestants kept many of the Catholic teachings and to this day have services similar to the mass.
I realize that. It's unfortunate in many cases.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Why is it sacred?

So why doesn't your church follow the words of the apostles?

God used the apostles to lead the church.

For the love of God the Catholic Church was founded by second generation church fathers which were disciples of the original apostles.

Quote:
I would argue that Rome didn't spread the Gospel. They spread the church, but don't confuse that with Christianity.
You need to travel ALL of Europe and see how Rome spread Christendom.

Quote:
This is offensive, Julian. I won't call you a Mary worshiper if you don't call us a Bible worshiper. We don't worship the Bible.
But, your knee jerk response is "not in the bible".

Old 03-15-2014, 01:35 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times
Quote:
There was no papacy at that time. Peter was simply the first leader of Christendom.
If Peter was the first leader of Christendom then why did Irenaeus write the Gospel of Mark was written "When Peter and Paul were preaching the gospel in Rome and founding the church there"; he adds, "After their departure, Mark, Peter's disciple, has himself delivered to us in writing the substance of Peter's preaching" (Adv. Haer. 3.1.1; H.E. 5.8.2-4).

Old 03-15-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
If Peter was the first leader of Christendom then why did Irenaeus write the Gospel of Mark was written "When Peter and Paul were preaching the gospel in Rome and founding the church there"; he adds, "After their departure, Mark, Peter's disciple, has himself delivered to us in writing the substance of Peter's preaching" (Adv. Haer. 3.1.1; H.E. 5.8.2-4).
Paul was also a formidable leader, but Jesus did not give Paul the keys. If Paul had gotten the keys I have no issues with Paul being first Pope.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
For the love of God the Catholic Church was founded by second generation church fathers which were disciples of the original apostles.

You tried to claim earlier that Jesus founded it. Now you say the 2nd generation church fathers did?

In any event, do you realize there was false teaching in the church during the 1st generation? Have you read Galatians? Colossians? 1 & 2 Corinthians? Why would you want to take the words of the 2nd, 3rd, etc generations over the first?
Quote:

You need to travel ALL of Europe and see how Rome spread Christendom.

But, your knee jerk response is "not in the bible".
We do a lot of things that aren't in the bible...and that's ok. The Bible doesn't tell me to use Powerpoint...but it doesn't forbid the use of it, either. Worship of Mary is not only "not in the Bible".....it goes against Biblical principles.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
You tried to claim earlier that Jesus founded it. Now you say the 2nd generation church fathers did?

In any event, do you realize there was false teaching in the church during the 1st generation? Have you read Galatians? Colossians? 1 & 2 Corinthians? Why would you want to take the words of the 2nd, 3rd, etc generations over the first?

We do a lot of things that aren't in the bible...and that's ok. The Bible doesn't tell me to use Powerpoint...but it doesn't forbid the use of it, either. Worship of Mary is not only "not in the Bible".....it goes against Biblical principles.

That is true but who worships Mary? Catholics sure don't. We venerate her. Do you know the difference? We also venerate many saints like Peter and Paul.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:52 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
Janelle- Did Peter die when he "supposedly" was "crucified upside down?"

Also, I asked an earlier question. Are popes under the authority of Apostles?
When someone is crucified I am sure they die. The upside down part can be questioned but not the crucified part.

Of course the Popes are under the authority of the Apostles, still are today.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

Explain the above if it was Paul who was chosen as Apostle to the Gentiles...
Peter was never called an Apostle of the Gentiles, that did not mean that he could not speak to Gentiles. But he should not go to their towns and villages. Paul called himself an Apostle of the Gentiles, he know Jesus send him, he had the office called Apostle to the Gentiles (Rom 11:13; 1. Tim2:7; Eph 3:1).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity