Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 AM

3,642 posts, read 2,478,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post

Has anyone else felt this way? Has anyone's church addressed this issue?
SoulJourn,
I appreciate your post..
Personally, I'm not against a food chain that includes meat; I believe it's God's natural order. But I am in complete agreement, that mistreating animals in factory farms, is a crime against God's creation. And unfortunately I am complicit in that mistreatment bcuz I do willingly eat factory farmed meat. I'm working on finding and consuming alternately raised meats/eggs.. and I do support some of PETA's work. I understand they can be obnoxious, but they are bringing the abuses within factory farming to light.. Without PETA, I'm not sure the issues of fur & factory farming would be as well known, so I give 'em props for that.. they helped educate me.

How we treat animals does seem to be a blind spot within Chritianity (?) peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,138,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Is this your opinion or can you post a link to some study?
Look at this map... Generally speaking nations where one of the 3 Abrahamic religions dominate have the highest rates of obesity. Eastern nations dominated by Dharmic or Taoist religions lowest rates of obesity. (Christians being the worst offenders of the 3 Abrahamic's)

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4509149_f520.jpg

Fact of the matter is our reckless/without thought consumption of meats, is damaging our bodies and our environment.

To say one sanctify's the body, then one goes out to pound down a couple of factory farmed Big Mac's... Is..... Hypocritical.!

Here is more closer to home:
Mississippi has the highest church attendance in the nation. Mississippi is also the fattest state with the highest obesity rate.

Mississippians Go to Church the Most; Vermonters, Least

Mississippians Most Obese, Montanans Least Obese

This appears to give credence to the OP's remarks...

------------------
Richard1965..
Interesting read. For me personally it does not fully address the root of our modern crisis... Obesity. It would be nice to see church leaders take this problem head on, instead of dodging it.

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 03-18-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 AM

1,030 posts, read 835,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Look at this map... Generally speaking nations where one of the 3 Abrahamic religions dominate have the highest rates of obesity. Eastern nations dominated by Dharmic or Taoist religions lowest rates of obesity. (Christians being the worst offenders of the 3 Abrahamic's)

Fact of the matter is our reckless/without thought consumption of meats, is damaging our bodies and our environment.

To say one sanctify's the body, then one goes out to pound down a couple of factory farmed Big Mac's... Is..... Hypocritical.!

Mississippi has the highest church attendance in the nation. Mississippi is also the fattest state with the highest obesity rate.

------------------
Richard1965..
Interesting read. For me personally it does not fully address the root of our modern crisis... Obesity. It would be nice to see church leaders take this problem head on, instead of dodging it.
Yes it's clear that God is honoring those who are serving Him with an abundance of food!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,516,729 times
No link found between saturated fat and heart disease
Scientists have discovered that saturated fat does not cause heart disease while so-called ‘healthy’ polyunsaturated fats do not prevent cardiovascular problems.
In contrast with decades old nutritional advice, researchers at Cambridge University have found that giving up fatty meat, cream or butter is unlikely to improve health.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 AM

1,030 posts, read 835,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
No link found between saturated fat and heart disease
Scientists have discovered that saturated fat does not cause heart disease while so-called ‘healthy’ polyunsaturated fats do not prevent cardiovascular problems.
In contrast with decades old nutritional advice, researchers at Cambridge University have found that giving up fatty meat, cream or butter is unlikely to improve health.
I personally accept the gift of God of animals for food. I eat very little red meat. Mostly Chicken and fish. It's like anything else. It's actually very good for you and useful to your body in the right proportions. I grew up in a meat market as my father was a butcher and managed the meat department of a grocery store for years. We did not slaughter the animals but in those day's most of the butchering was done in the store. We would receive animals in half's or quarters or whole chickens by the box. I have had occasion to visit the slaughter houses and never saw any suffering or torture to any animals. Animals I have killed for food I have always tried to put down as quickly and painlessly as possible. Of course living in the south most of us grew up eating meat that was hunted or raised at home. It's just the way God made things.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,516,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
I personally accept the gift of God of animals for food. I eat very little red meat. Mostly Chicken and fish. It's like anything else. It's actually very good for you and useful to your body in the right proportions. I grew up in a meat market as my father was a butcher and managed the meat department of a grocery store for years. We did not slaughter the animals but in those day's most of the butchering was done in the store. We would receive animals in half's or quarters or whole chickens by the box. I have had occasion to visit the slaughter houses and never saw any suffering or torture to any animals. Animals I have killed for food I have always tried to put down as quickly and painlessly as possible. Of course living in the south most of us grew up eating meat that was hunted or raised at home. It's just the way God made things.
One summer when I was in High School I worked for a small Christian family owned and run hog/pig slaughter operation. All the hogs they processed were someone's 4-H project that they sold as piglets then bought back or hogs their own kids had raised. The way they handled things was nothing like those horrendous Youtube videos.

You're right about moderation. That is a biblical principle I can stand behind. I would guess too, that the obesity problem in this country is due more too eating too much of everything than simply animals.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,020,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
[/b] He also said to avoid dairy, eggs, oils, and meats and your favorite, FISH-which he said is no better than beef.
A cardiologist told you to avoid fish? There are heart-beneficial fish oils. You might want to read The Mayo Clinic Diet, or check their website, and discuss their findings with him.

Personally, I eat pretty much what Christ ate. Beneficial fish, honey, fruit, whole grain breads dipped in olive oil, and do what he did: walk a lot. (There are all kinds of answers in the Bible. And some very practical advice. Which seems to get lost in all the lofty sermonizing and verse quoting. My cholesterol numbers are excellent.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-18-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 05:20 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A cardiologist told you to avoid fish? There are heart-beneficial fish oils. You might want to read The Mayo Clinic Diet, or check their website, and discuss their findings with him.

Personally, I eat pretty much what Christ ate. Beneficial fish, honey, fruit, whole grain breads dipped in olive oil, and do what he did: walk a lot. (There are all kinds of answers in the Bible. And some very practical advice. Which seems to get lost in all the lofty sermonizing and verse quoting. My cholesterol numbers are excellent.)

Agreeing with you here The Mediterranean Diet was the one enjoyed by Jesus and other middle easterners and Mediterraneans. Large quantities of fruits, vegetables and legumes. Whole grains Olive oil.
Wild beneficial fish in small quantities Humanely raised and slaughtered meat as flavoring or on special occasions. A little red wine. (I know some Christians will take issue with this, but most doctors agree) Lots of exercise

I personally do not eat meat, but I'm sure that there is a way to eat it that is more humane than most meat sold in Supermarkets.

I grew up Jewish (Orthodox) and later changed to Reform. In the last two years I've decided to be a Christ Follower. I was baptized last Spring.

I grew up thinking Kosher meats were killed in a more humane way. When my grandparents were children, that was probably true. Now some say Kosher slaughter is worse than secular slaughter.

Hunting for sport has always disgusted me. I enjoy the wilderness, hiking and walking. Killing something would ruin it for me.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 PM

7,708 posts, read 12,554,847 times
I eat whatever the heck I want. Animals eat other. So bon appétit.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,241,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

------------------
Richard1965..
Thanks for the links. However. I think it's a stretch to assume that Christians a sicker and fatter than their "counterparts" based on these two studies. It's trying to link two unrelated things.

I don't eat a lot of red meat, but as I said before, I enjoy a good steak. I mainly eat poultry when I eat meat (which is often).

DewDropInn is correct, fish oil is supposed to be very good for you. My wife has me taking fish oil supplements and my cholesterol is very good. Bison is better than beef and, in some areas, better than poultry when it comes to cholesterol, fat, etc.

I don't see a problem eating meat and will continue to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity