Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You -all are beginning to interest me... Rather than an attempt by Creationism to fund Bible-propaganda through popular media it begins to sound like an OT companion to 'Life of Brian'. We goddless bastards may have to admit that we had this film all wrong...
Lets put it this way, it is the most exaggerated story i have ever witnessed. Anyway i am dealing with my own flood, i have a foot of water in the basement and my wellies are down there floating around. I'm off to build myself a little ark, like Shem did in the movie(something else i never read in the bible).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 01:04 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
There is zero evidence for Noah's Ark. This is a story, and not intended to be taken as an actual historical event.

IF there was ever a worldwide flood, there would be geological evidence of that. There is none. Zero. Please ignore references to sources such as Answers in Genesis. These are the same looney-tunes who think the earth is only 6000 years old.

I'm not saying throw out your Bible. Most of what is in Genesis should be considered a parable. Just like the parables of Jesus, these are allegorical stories. What is important is not the events depicted in the story but the meaning behind them.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:13 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
There is zero evidence for Noah's Ark. This is a story, and not intended to be taken as an actual historical event.

IF there was ever a worldwide flood, there would be geological evidence of that. There is none. Zero. Please ignore references to sources such as Answers in Genesis. These are the same looney-tunes who think the earth is only 6000 years old.

I'm not saying throw out your Bible. Most of what is in Genesis should be considered a parable. Just like the parables of Jesus, these are allegorical stories. What is important is not the events depicted in the story but the meaning behind them.
If only more people understood this. That is what the spiritual import of the content in the Bible is all about . . . the spiritual meaning (within our consciousness) that is evoked by them. The carnal mind of the natural man simply cannot transcend its carnality to grasp it.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 03-30-2014 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 01:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

It really doesn't matter to me whether it is true or not too. It is the meaning behind it like you say.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:05 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Noah's flood was real and is acknowledged as a literal event by the writers of the New Testament. Peter states that Jesus made a proclamation to the spirits who were involved in the Genesis 6 incident which prompted the flood. These spirits are now imprisoned in Tartarus.
1 Peter 3:19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20] who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.
Jesus probably told Peter of this after His resurrection and before He ascended into heaven.

2 Peter 2:4-5 speaks of these angels who are now imprisoned.
2 Peter2:4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into Tartarus and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment. 5] and did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;

And Jude 6;
Jude 1:6 And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,

Old 03-30-2014, 02:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I suppose it's comforting to convince oneself s/he has all the answers in a handy guidebook that someone else wrote.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 PM

155 posts, read 163,760 times
Quote:

Well now,

Hold on tight Leo,

Ibe

Old 03-30-2014, 04:39 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I'm not sure if some of you noticed that this forum is not called the "bash Christians", or "mocking the Bible" forum, its a discussion forum for people who actually believe. If you don't believe, fine, its your funeral. Some posters in this forum remind me of the Pharisees. Even seeing Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead would not convince them that Jesus was the Messiah. Since Jesus refers to Abraham several times, and the creation story, I guess that is good enough for me to say that the Bible is actual history.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
mike555
You should have continued to verse 21
"This prefigured baptism, which saves you now".

Throughout the scriptures there are several stories in which water is used symbolically. the flood story is an example.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:43 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
mike555
You should have continued to verse 21
"This prefigured baptism, which saves you now".

Throughout the scriptures there are several stories in which water is used symbolically. the flood story is an example.
1 Peter 3:21 is not pertinent to the fact that Jesus is said to have made a proclamation to the spirits that are now in prison (due to their involvement in the Genesis 6 affair in the days of Noah) as stated in 1 Peter 3:19-20 thus showing that Peter recognized the reality of Noah's flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity