Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Why?

I mean, why should anyone believe that God exists because the bible says so any more than that Voldemort exists because the Harry Potter books say so?

Because so many others do?

Can anyone answer this with out going into a circular reference by quoting the bible itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 PM

296 posts, read 238,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why?

I mean, why should anyone believe that God exists because the bible says so any more than that Voldemort exists because the Harry Potter books say so?

Can anyone answer this with out going into a circular reference by quoting the bible itself?
No I suspect you will get the circular argument treatment. I will happily post a link that is of "SPIRAL" reference rather than circular.

Please read it carefully and think logically. Be sure to finish. It's a great article.

Proving Inspiration | Catholic Answers

Old 03-24-2014, 11:24 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times
speaking in tongues is the sign that it is inspired by the Spirit of God.

This image bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but thou canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth for it speaketh in (multiple) tongues (at once)
So is every one that is born of the Spirit.

The bible paints us picture after picture but, like the parables of Jesus, it is left to the reader to decide for themselves what point is being made.
In truth there are many points being made but people tend to see only the one that agrees with their own point of view.
As a result everyone sees and hears something different. (sometimes completely different)
This is called 'speaking in (multiple) tongues (at once)'.
(Jesus was a genius at it. This is why there was so much confusion at the trial of Jesus)

Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
No I suspect you will get the circular argument treatment. I will happily post a link that is of "SPIRAL" reference rather than circular.

Please read it carefully and think logically. Be sure to finish. It's a great article.

Proving Inspiration | Catholic Answers
That was a good and well written article, although it suggesting that a spiral argument is not circular is being a bit cute with words.

Nevertheless, it was one of the better answers I've seen, and thanks for it.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:23 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
Yes, even the Catholic's bash the Bible.

A better question to ask is;

Why do so many people claim to be spiritual, or even Christians, yet the deny the Bible? That is the tough question.

1 Cor 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

I just proved that linked article wrong with one verse, and there are more verses that do the same.

Believing something found in the Bible is not circular reasoning, claiming so only shows the ignorance of our enemies.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:56 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Why?

-The vastness of our universe

-human consciousness

-cause/effect

-the existence of goodness/love

Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Yes, even the Catholic's bash the Bible.

A better question to ask is;

Why do so many people claim to be spiritual, or even Christians, yet the deny the Bible? That is the tough question.

1 Cor 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

I just proved that linked article wrong with one verse, and there are more verses that do the same.

Believing something found in the Bible is not circular reasoning, claiming so only shows the ignorance of our enemies.

Your using the bible to price itself by your quoting Corinthians. It doesn't give credibility to what was written in any way.

Now why would you say that it is ignorance? Non believe yes, but ignorance? Think about it this way, hide is non belief in what the bible says any different than non belief in say, Thor or Janus or Horus?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
-The vastness of our universe
The big bang explains that one rather well. Especially now that the echo that Einstein said should be there almost 100 years ago had been proven by current scientists.

Quote:
-human consciousness
That shows we have evolved and are able to communicate. There are indications some higher firms of mammals have rudimentary facilities that are similar.

Quote:
-cause/effect
No idea what you mean by this.

Quote:
-the existence of goodness/love
Emotions run the gambit from love to hate. Not sure how this shows any substantiation of biblical inerrancy over Harry Potter showing the triumph of God over evil.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Why?

Because its moral code for man is the best
Because its prophecies check out
Historically accurate
Because it is harmonious even though written by about 40 different people
Its explanation for why we exist and why the world is such a mess is believable based on objective observation.
Scientifically accurate where such can be tested
No blatant mythology as we find in so many other such religious books/writings from the past
Honesty as to the deficiencies and mistakes of it's authors

Just a few.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
The big bang explains that one rather well. Especially now that the echo that Einstein said should be there almost 100 years ago had been proven by current scientists.
That doesn't disprove God.

Quote:
That shows we have evolved and are able to communicate. There are indications some higher firms of mammals have rudimentary facilities that are similar.
So the first humans did not have consciousness?

Quote:
No idea what you mean by this.
Everything has a creator.

Quote:
Emotions run the gambit from love to hate. Not sure how this shows any substantiation of biblical inerrancy over Harry Potter showing the triumph of God over evil.
I never said anything about the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity