Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,896,911 times

Advertisements

What do you folks make of this?
Joshua 10:12-14 Then speaks Joshua to Yahweh in the day of Yahweh's giving up the Amorites before the
sons of Israel, and he said, before the eyes of Israel, `Sun--in Gibeon stand still; and moon--in the valley
of Ajalon;. (13) and the sun stands still, and the moon has stood--till the nation takes vengeance [on] its
enemies; is it not written on the Book of the Upright, `and the sun stands in the midst of the heavens, and
has not hasted to go in--as a perfect day?. (14) And there has not been like that day before it or after it,
for Yahweh's hearkening to the voice of a man; for Yahweh is fighting for Israel.

This is from John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible:

until the people had avenged themselves on their enemies: until the nation and people of Israel had
taken vengeance on and destroyed the live kings and their forces: how this is to be reconciled to the
Copernican system, or that with this, I shall not inquire. It was a most wonderful and surprising
phenomenon, to see both luminaries standing still in the midst of heaven; it is pretended by some historians
(f), that a like miracle was wrought at the battle of Mulberg, won by the Emperor Charles the Fifth, on April
24, 1547. In the Chinese history (g) it is reported, that in the time of their seventh, emperor, Yao, the sun
did not set for ten days, and that men were afraid the world would be burnt, and there were great fires at
that time; and though the time of the sun's standing still is enlarged beyond the bounds of truth, yet it
seems to refer to this fact, and was manifestly about the same time; for this miracle was wrought in the
year of the world 2554, which fell in the seventy fifth, or, as some say, the sixty seventh year of that
emperor's reign, who reigned ninety years:

What I'd like to know is, Is it possible that when Paul met the Lord on the road to Damascus and His glory was above that of the noon day sun, that the Lord appeared in the sky above the battle Joshua was fighting and so he necessarily thought it was the sun?

Now I don't doubt God has the power to suspend the very laws of physics He invented if He wanted the earth to stop rotating, without doing damage, even if the naysayers say such an event would kill everyone.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:47 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,275,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Joshua 10:12-14 Then speaks Joshua to Yahweh in the day of Yahweh's giving up the Amorites before the
sons of Israel, and he said, before the eyes of Israel, `Sun--in Gibeon stand still; and moon--in the valley
of Ajalon;. (13) and the sun stands still, and the moon has stood--till the nation takes vengeance [on] its
enemies; is it not written on the Book of the Upright, `and the sun stands in the midst of the heavens, and
has not hasted to go in--as a perfect day?. (14) And there has not been like that day before it or after it,
for Yahweh's hearkening to the voice of a man; for Yahweh is fighting for Israel.

This is from John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible:

until the people had avenged themselves on their enemies: until the nation and people of Israel had
taken vengeance on and destroyed the live kings and their forces: how this is to be reconciled to the
Copernican system, or that with this, I shall not inquire. It was a most wonderful and surprising
phenomenon, to see both luminaries standing still in the midst of heaven; it is pretended by some historians
(f), that a like miracle was wrought at the battle of Mulberg, won by the Emperor Charles the Fifth, on April
24, 1547. In the Chinese history (g) it is reported, that in the time of their seventh, emperor, Yao, the sun
did not set for ten days, and that men were afraid the world would be burnt, and there were great fires at
that time; and though the time of the sun's standing still is enlarged beyond the bounds of truth, yet it
seems to refer to this fact, and was manifestly about the same time; for this miracle was wrought in the
year of the world 2554, which fell in the seventy fifth, or, as some say, the sixty seventh year of that
emperor's reign, who reigned ninety years:

What I'd like to know is, Is it possible that when Paul met the Lord on the road to Damascus and His glory was above that of the noon day sun, that the Lord appeared in the sky above the battle Joshua was fighting and so he necessarily thought it was the sun?

Now I don't doubt God has the power to suspend the very laws of physics He invented if He wanted the earth to stop rotating, without doing damage, even if the naysayers say such an event would kill everyone.

What do you think?
Does it matter?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,523,846 times
Since you have a swipe at the naysayers, then yes. Such an event would need a miracle from God. So would the Flood and ark scenario, the red sea crossing and the calling down of Fire by Elijah, wasn't it?

As you know it strikes me as contributing to my doubts that we have so many apparent events that you make efforts to explain in natural terms - the prolonged debates about Ark - feasibility being the principle one. But there again an occasional divine tweak is needed such as mountains rearing up in a few months in order to shift the goalposts of where the water went. And of course Pangaea splitting up to go hydroplaning to their present positions with a population of animals carefully selected to look they had evolved from a pool of continent - isolated animals- just to fool those godless evolutionists, the creationists knowing from the Bible that they all had to super-evolve from the basic 'Kinds' of a number that could feasibly be fitted on the Ark.

Since then, there have been rather less in the way of miracles. Jesus walking away from an immobilized assassination crowd in Luke, turinng water into wine and creating a meal for thousands out of a single packed lunch and more recently getting an aircraft down in one piece and one or two survivors out of a disaster. Pretty small beer compared to freezing the solar system just so the players didn't have to finish the next day.

Of course, if the Bible -writers had known about floodlight sports the miracle might not have had to be such a reality - defiant one. A dozen or so Bethlehem stars with a bit more candlepower and the sun could have been left to come up the next day, without having to be halted to let a couple of parochial armies fight it out before bad light stopped play.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Does it matter?
Yes.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Since you have a swipe at the naysayers, then yes. Such an event would need a miracle from God. So would the Flood and ark scenario, the red sea crossing and the calling down of Fire by Elijah, wasn't it?

As you know it strikes me as contributing to my doubts that we have so many apparent events that you make efforts to explain in natural terms - the prolonged debates about Ark - feasibility being the principle one. But there again an occasional divine tweak is needed such as mountains rearing up in a few months in order to shift the goalposts of where the water went. And of course Pangaea splitting up to go hydroplaning to their present positions with a population of animals carefully selected to look they had evolved from a pool of continent - isolated animals- just to fool those godless evolutionists, the creationists knowing from the Bible that they all had to super-evolve from the basic 'Kinds' of a number that could feasibly be fitted on the Ark.

Since then, there have been rather less in the way of miracles. Jesus walking away from an immobilized assassination crowd in Luke, turinng water into wine and creating a meal for thousands out of a single packed lunch and more recently getting an aircraft down in one piece and one or two survivors out of a disaster. Pretty small beer compared to freezing the solar system just so the players didn't have to finish the next day.

Of course, if the Bible -writers had known about floodlight sports the miracle might not have had to be such a reality - defiant one. A dozen or so Bethlehem stars with a bit more candlepower and the sun could have been left to come up the next day, without having to be halted to let a couple of parochial armies fight it out before bad light stopped play.
The problem lies in the fact that you just don't realize how powerful our God truly is.

So when are you going to start worshipping those single celled amoebas who, according to the high priests of evolution tell us all animals and humans and all plant life was created by them. Now that's a miracle!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM

1,382 posts, read 762,808 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Dear Euse,
I would think that Paul already answered your question.

2 Cor 14 No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

The angel of light would probably be Lucifer, the "morning star". The same angel that appeared to Constantine, in the form of Sol Invictus, who Constantine was to later pay homage to by making his day, the "day of the Sun", the day of rest (decree of 321 A.D.), and in honoring Sol Invictus on Roman coinage.

Although Paul is a foundation of the church of Rome, he is not a foundation of the church that heeds the testimony of Yeshua and keeps the Commandments of God (Rev 12:17, & Mt 7:24). The authority of Rome comes from the dragon (Rev 13:4), and the dragon is one of the sons of God, who rebelled, and is also known as Lucifer. The Roman church sits on the beast, which includes the empires of Rome (Rev 17:3)

The religion of Sol Invictus continued to be part of the state religion until paganism was abolished by decree of Theodosius I on February 27, 390. Sol Invictus - Mythology Wiki

Constantine'slaw of…321 [C.E] uniting Christians and pagans in the observance of the"venerable day of the sun" It is to be noted that this official solarworship, the final form of paganism in the empire…, was not the traditionalRoman-Greek religion of Jupiter, Apollo, Venus, and the other Olympian deities.It was a product of the mingling Hellenistic-Oriental elements, exemplified inAurelian's establishment of Eastern Sun worship at Rome as the officialreligion of the empire, and in his new temple enshrining Syrian statutesstatues of Bel and the sun…. Thus at last Bel, the god of Babylon, came intothe official imperial temple of Rome, the center of the imperial religion. Itwas this late Roman-Oriental worship of one supreme god, symbolized by the sunand absorbing lesser divinities as subordinates or manifestations of theuniversal deity, that competed with young Christianity. This was the Romanreligion that went down in defeat but infiltrated and colored the victoriouschurch with its own elements, some of which can be seen to this day. (Cramer 4)
]
On March 7, 321, Sunday was declared the officialday of rest, on which markets were banned and public offices were closed,[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_the_Great_and_Christianity

Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,523,846 times
Quote:
The problem lies in the fact that you just don't realize how powerful our God truly is.

So when are you going to start worshipping those single celled amoebas who, according to the high priests of evolution tell us all animals and humans and all plant life was created by them. Now that's a miracle!
I must have made a pertinent point since your only reponse is a tuo quoue non sequitur. I know amoebas ere real, I see the evidence that life evolved from single cells as persuasive.

I do not know that a god exists. I do not see the evidence for divine miracles as persuasive. I see the idea of worshipping either for any reason as rather foolish.

Back to you,old pal for, one hopes,some pertinent and sensible observations.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 PM

AREQUIPA, why do you not believe in divine miracles but do believe in the miracles the single celled amoebas performed?

Come on AREQUIPA, do you really believe that those single celled amoebas had the intelligence to not only create all the male species but female at the same time so they could procreate?

I hope the weather is nice where you are. We had some snow today here in Michigan.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:03 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,287,479 times
If the sun stopped moving across the sky for several hours that would imply that the Earth stopped spinning. One would think that would be associated with a cataclism of major proportions. I think the story is clearly allegoric, very typical for the OT which is filled with savagery.

Some ignorant priests from the era of Galileo used this Bible passage to declare Galileo a heretic.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:08 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,275,987 times
Quote:
Yes.
No, because regardless of how God did it, it still happened. Our knowing how is not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity