U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 AM

3,086 posts, read 3,932,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I only try to be like Jesus (= before his resurrection) and not like Christ (=after his resurrection).
Why stop there? Jesus' purpose did not end with His death... it actually began with His resurrection!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,210,285 times
Quote:
Why stop there? Jesus' purpose did not end with His death... it actually began with His resurrection!
I simply do not believe that Jesus is resurrected.
And this way I also do not have to believe in the dogma of the triune God.
To me God is the holy spirit (love), Jesus a philosophy to understand love so that my actions become love.
I have no need to believe in an eternal life or afterlife, I am content with what I know now.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I simply do not believe that Jesus is resurrected.
And this way I also do not have to believe in the dogma of the triune God.
To me God is the holy spirit (love), Jesus a philosophy to understand love so that my actions become love.
I have no need to believe in an eternal life or afterlife, I am content with what I know now.
Well, then that is where we differ... I do believe that Jesus resurrected, and thus it is important to me to realize what His purpose was. By His resurrection, we don't have to "imitate" an earthly Jesus, but we can be "transformed" by the resurrected Christ.

(does this satisfy your rep remark? )

Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
(does this satisfy your rep remark? )
Nah, that had nothing to do with you.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Nah, that had nothing to do with you.
OK!

Whew! Wipes brow. (j/k!)

Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 PM

11,048 posts, read 8,622,975 times
Quote:
Quote:
And if you believe that one has free will, no one can force that person to accept an opinion or belief.
Only if you are a grown-up.
Many children are 'forced' to follow their parents so they do not get another option.
To me this is downright indoctrination.

So you do not believe that we are born with free will, Tricky D.? I agree that some children are forced to follow their parents and many adults are also forced to follow others. I don't believe that any person here, though, is forcing themselves on anyone. We are free to read or not read. I also believe that none of us truly have free will because for one thing there is something that always influences the choices that we are able to make. Our choices may be limited according to the situation that we are in.

Quote:

Quote:
Your statement was a generalization indicating that you believe that all Christians are forcing their opinions upon people, which isn't what is happening.
Many Christian parents force their beliefs upon their children.
Or are you suggesting that children got a free choice in this matter?
Remember, I said that your statement was a generalization of all Christians or maybe I misunderstood you, Tricky D. Some Christian parents may do this, but many don't. My parents never forced me to become a Christian. I did go to church services with them and I was encouraged to learn about Jesus, when I was young, but I was never threatened with anything if I did not believe and neither did they say that I had to become a Christian. I felt more pressure to do well in school and to drink all of my milk. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-10-2007 at 06:33 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
So you do not believe that we are born with free will, Tricky D.?
Hi Shana, we are born with free will, but a baby totally depends on her parents now doesn't she? Only in her teens when she starts to rebel does she experiment with the concept of free will (autonomy).
A small child won't know the difference between indoctrination, psychological abuse or the freedom of choice.
Children always idealise their parents in order to feel safe. The stronger they believe their parents are, the safer they'll feel.

Quote:
Some Christian parents may do this, but many don't. My parents never forced me to become a Christian. I did go to church services with them and I was encouraged to learn about Jesus, when I was young, but I was never threatened with anything if I did not believe and neither did they say that I had to become a Christian. I felt more pressure to do well in school and to drink all of my milk.
I only state that it happens, this is how culture works. The problem is that Christians do not view themselves a culture, they mostly believe that their choices in life were individual choices, which in most cases is not the case. Everyone is influenced by his/her culture, only when you are aware of the affect of cultural influences can you claim to have made your choice in individual freedom.
Most modern homosexuals for example experience how intolerant Christianity is towards them and yet they embrace their homosexuality. Many homosexuals of the past were forced to hide it, because they didn't want to be ostracized. Nowadays there is life outside of Christianity, so they won't feel as pressured to stay a Christian. They most probably will still lose the majority of their Christian family, but when you are a homosexual life stops to be cage if you chose to abandon Christianity.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 AM

Free will was not really the topic of the thread... would you mind starting another one on it, Shana? Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM

11,048 posts, read 8,622,975 times
Okay, Cg81, but I thought it was related in relation to this statement:

Quote:
We hear about God’s great love… how He wants each one to be saved. Are we saved by His love? No…. No matter how much He loves us, His great love cannot save us! It’s impossible. God is so holy, so righteous, that He cannot accept sin.
and other posts about God having mercy on whomever He wills and God's reference as the Potter and we as clay in the scriptures.

I believe that His great love can save us because I believe that what He has purposed to do will be done as opposed to man's free will. But I don't mind starting another thread. Thanks and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-11-2007 at 04:52 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Okay, Cg81, but I thought it was related in relation to this statement:

and other posts about God having mercy on whomeve He wills and God's reference as the Potter and we as clay in the scriptures.

I believe that His great love can save us because I believe that what He has purposed to do will be done as opposed to man's free will. But I don't mind starting another thread. Thanks and God bless.
OK, I can see how it does fit in the topic. It really is a vast subject..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity