Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:10 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times

Advertisements

I am not sure I understand what you are asking, Tricky D. I don't believe that God wants us to avoid mistakes. I believe that He planned for everything to happen just as it happened to teach us about good and evil, for example, to teach us about Himself and to develop us into His image. Jesus died on the cross for our sins. God is showing us the nature of His love for us in that He gave Jesus for us and His intention is to reconcile us to Himself. It looks as if everything is ruined by humanity but Romans 8 says:

"For the creation was subjected to futiliy not of its own will, but because of Him who subjected it in expectation that the creation itself also will be set free from the slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God."

I believe that God intended for us to learn about the destructiveness of sin by causing things to unfold as they did and in the end, He will "fix" it. All will realize that it is God to whom all things belong and He alone is Savior, Deliverer, Healer. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
The problem is that you try to explain reality through the Bible, which would be the same as trying to explain the Bible through English.
The stories in the Bible are experiences of reality (POV of the storyteller) but they are not the same as reality.
Trying to explain reality through the Bible is the same as saying that a computer cannot exist because there is no mention of it in the Bible.
Or that heaven must exist because the Bible tells us so.

I am starting to believe that some Christians just cannot explain the world they live in without quoting the Bible.
Like Christians cannot write an essay in their own words, or only use their own interpretation of reality.

Last edited by Tricky D; 12-09-2007 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 AM

Hi Tricky D., I believe that the Christian scriptures are inspired by God and I do share my beliefs based on what the scriptures teach. I make no apologies for this. So, yes, whenever I share, this is where I am coming from. I pray to God for wisdom and guidance as I study and I trust that His Spirit is leading me. I believe that He has revealed His will to us in the scriptures. Take care and God bless

Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Hi Tricky D., I believe that the Christian scriptures are inspired by God and I do share my beliefs based on what the scriptures teach.
Shana I understand where you are coming from, but can you explain reality to me without only quoting scripture.
Do you have an own interpretation of the Bible?

I mean to me you are like a painter who is heavily into Vincent van Gogh (a famous Dutch painter). And all your paintings are influenced by van Gogh in some form or other. I am only questioning if you have your own style?
Do you have a painting style of your own?
I mean if you can’t you can’t.
But that means that in the future we’d only talk in circles.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Shana I understand where you are coming from, but can you explain reality to me without only quoting scripture.
Do you have an own interpretation of the Bible?

I mean to me you are like a painter who is heavily into Vincent van Gogh (a famous Dutch painter). And all your paintings are influenced by van Gogh in some form or other. I am only questioning if you have your own style?
Do you have a painting style of your own?
I mean if you can’t you can’t.
But that means that in the future we’d only talk in circles.

Tricky D., I would hope that my painting style comes from God, is His style, not my style. I want to be heavily into His style, not mine. It's not about me, Tricky D. and my goal is not to have my own interpretation. I don't know if you can hear what I'm saying, but anyway, I cannot say that I will not share scriptures when I post. I don't only quote scripture but I do share scripture when explaining my beliefs. I know many don't like it but that's the way it is. Guess we'll be going around in circles then my friend if we share with one another. God bless you.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-09-2007 at 09:36 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 09:42 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I mean to me you are like a painter who is heavily into Vincent van Gogh (a famous Dutch painter). And all your paintings are influenced by van Gogh in some form or other. I am only questioning if you have your own style? Do you have a painting style of your own?
I mean if you can’t you can’t. But that means that in the future we’d only talk in circles.
To me that sound ridiculous. Why not be "influenced" by the Bible? It's always just another attack against the Bible and those that believe. Look, people are influenced by other people and things all the time When your in college are you not influenced by your professors, others who have gone before, and the material you need to learn to graduate? Does a plumber or electrician go it on their own instead of apprenticeship to journeyman to master? Are atheists not influenced by so-called science for their non-belief? Of course.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
To me that sound ridiculous. Why not be "influenced" by the Bible? It's always just another attack against the Bible and those that believe.
I am not attacking any one. Being influenced and being brainwashed are to different things. Now, if I claimed that a Christian is being brainwashed then I'd say you would be right for accusing me of attacking.
The problem with Christians is that they cannot see that I am influenced by Jesus also. The thing is that because my opinions differ from other Christians you will probably not see this.
Or deny that outright.

The way I see it is that God has no style.
So people who claim that they only want God’s style are saying that they believe that their style is the same as God’s style.
But even the Jews already came to the conclusion that every Jew would see God differently; this is the main reason they chose never to depict God.
Depicting God can only be through a personal interpretation, and God is too grand for a personal interpretation.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
The problem with Christians is that they cannot see that I am influenced by Jesus also.
In what way?

Quote:
The thing is that because my opinions differ from other Christians you will probably not see this.
Opinions opinions change. A Christian cannot have an opinion that is diametrically opposed to that of traditional Christianity and the core doctrines of the Bible. That's why we are called Bible believers. When one removes absolute truth (God and His word) one is left with anarchy and destruction.

Quote:
The way I see it is that God has no style.
It's easy to insult God when one does not understand Him.

Quote:
So people who claim that they only want God’s style are saying that they believe that their style is the same as God’s style. But even the Jews already came to the conclusion that every Jew would see God differently; this is the main reason they chose never to depict God. Depicting God can only be through a personal interpretation, and God is too grand for a personal interpretation.
God is God and has chosen to reveal Himself in creation, in Jesus Christ, and in the pages of the Bible. He is not a God that changes. And He is not revealed in every faith, religion, or cult but only in Christianity and the Bible. Plain and simple if ones "view" of God is not what God has allowed us to know of Him and what has been revealed in the Bible then that view if flawed.

I'm trying to understand where your coming from. I think your sincere in what you state. Maybe misinformed but sincere.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
A Christian cannot have an opinion that is diametrically opposed to that of traditional Christianity and the core doctrines of the Bible.
Well for one I do not consider myself a Christian, because I do not believe Jesus to be God.

Quote:
Plain and simple if ones "view" of God is not what God has allowed us to know of Him and what has been revealed in the Bible then that view if flawed.
Just because millions of people claim that a circle has 4 corners does not make it true.
The truth has nothing to do with numbers.

Quote:
Maybe misinformed but sincere.
This is exactly how I view most Christians.
If you truly wish to understand me just read the threads I've started.
That will give you a good insight of my philosophy.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
If you truly wish to understand me just read the threads I've started. That will give you a good insight of my philosophy.
Yes, I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity