U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,538,491 times
Reputation: 967

Advertisements

There is a very important aspect of our relationship to God that often appears misunderstood, trampled upon, or ignored. I don’t claim to even scratch the surface in comprehending it in its fullness, but…

What can save this sinner?

We hear about God’s great love… how He wants each one to be saved. Are we saved by His love? No…. No matter how much He loves us, His great love cannot save us! It’s impossible. God is so holy, so righteous, that He cannot accept sin.



How then can we be saved?
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Ephesians 2:8)
...By being covered by the blanket of grace, thereby being righteous in God’s eyes, making our "sinfulness" invisible to Him. And it’s nothing we can earn by being “good”. It is a gift, accepted through faith, made available by the death of His Son, our sacrifice.

(That’s why the statement “God loves everyone so much, that no one will be lost” is faulty thinking. His love cannot save us. This is a statement born of pride… saying “I’m good enough.. I don’t need to accept this “blanket” which covers my sins.”)

Some would teach that once you have accepted God’s grace, it is strong enough that you can never leave it, or come out from beneath this covering… I disagree with this, rather believing that God’s grace is stronger than this! It is strong enough, abundant enough, and available enough to keep us from sin, in this sinful world! However, one thing I believe we would both agree on is the following most important point:

We can only produce good fruit by God’s grace, so the evidence of being under God’s grace will be the fruit we are producing. Likewise, a lack of good fruit will show a lack of grace.

Am I covered?

Last edited by cg81; 12-06-2007 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,191,317 times
Reputation: 3440
In Christ and Christ alone....

and yes, I think you are covered....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
 
7,099 posts, read 23,769,043 times
Reputation: 7240
..."We hear about Godís great loveÖ how He wants each one to be saved. Are we saved by His love? NoÖ. No matter how much He loves us, His great love cannot save us! Itís impossible. God is so holy, so righteous, that He cannot accept sin...."

When someone makes a statement such as this, "His great love cannont save us. It's Impossible." I think it's laying down rules and regulations for God. He can do whatever he wants to. If He wants to save anyone, He can. We can't put Him in a box and say for sure what He will and will not do.

"He cannot accept sin." Really??? no matter what the sin is?

Maybe one day when I get very, very wise, I will also be able to say what God will do. However, for now, I will just say that I don't really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,538,491 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
"He cannot accept sin." Really??? no matter what the sin is?
If not covered by grace, no.

Hab 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,454,149 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by cg81
Quote:
We can only produce ďfruitĒ by Godís grace, so the evidence of being under Godís grace will be the fruit we are producing. Likewise, a lack of fruit will show a lack of grace.
I think you got it wrong here: We all produce fruit, the fruit of our labour.
The question is how will these fruits taste?
They will taste good if you are good and they will taste evil when you are evil. Simply because a good man cannot produce evil and an evil man cannot produce good.
This is how God judges us.
Even God is known by his fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 10:07 AM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,538,491 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I think you got it wrong here: We all produce fruit, the fruit of our labour.
The question is how will these fruits taste?
They will taste good if you are good and they will taste evil when you are evil. Simply because a good man cannot produce evil and an evil man cannot produce good.
This is how God judges us.
Even God is known by his fruit.
Good point! (edited my OP) I meant "good fruit". Our fruit will show what we are. The reason I just said "fruit" is that fruit produced under grace is the only valid fruit in God's eyes. All our works done "on our own steam" will count as nothing.

Last edited by cg81; 12-06-2007 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 AM
 
Location: ARK-KIN-SAW
3,434 posts, read 8,761,824 times
Reputation: 1574
all this talk of fruit makes me hungry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 AM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,538,491 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
all this talk of fruit makes me hungry
It should!

When I'm hungry for the Living Water, my good fruit will grow. Hunger is a good sign!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 10:20 AM
 
Location: ARK-KIN-SAW
3,434 posts, read 8,761,824 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
It should!

When I'm hungry for the Living Water, my good fruit will grow. Hunger is a good sign!
glad you caught my meaning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,454,149 times
Reputation: 1573
Hunger is also the beginning of choice.
When we eat as much as we want, we sin.
Only when we eat as much as we need do we not sin.
It is my experience that knowing the difference between want and need is the first step to salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top