Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,852,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Finally, I will ask you some questions. Define Christian and Christianity. Tell me exactly why your particular brand of religion qualifies as Christian. Don’t tell me what you think; show me specifically in the Bible why your religion is Christian.
This reminds me of a thread I started back when I was just a baby CDer.

I never said why I started it, but it might be just about time to let the 'cat out of the bag'.....

Christians, What does it take to be 'saved'??

Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,517,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Well, based on what I read in the above thread, I have bad news for those who claim Mormons are not Christian. We qualify.

Last edited by SergeantL; 12-07-2007 at 11:19 AM..

Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,045,992 times
I have to admit I was kind of interested when I saw this thread posted last night. I for one feel I need to be educated on the subject. I still have my thoughts but SergeantL has certainly been on the up and up when it concerns the history and teachings of the church.

I was kind of hoping this didn't turn into a hate fest but more of a "what do mormons really believe.." kinda of post.

Finally.. in my opinion the LDS church needs a good PR firm.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I have to admit I was kind of interested when I saw this thread posted last night. I for one feel I need to be educated on the subject. I still have my thoughts but SergeantL has certainly been on the up and up when it concerns the history and teachings of the church.

I was kind of hoping this didn't turn into a hate fest but more of a "what do mormons really believe.." kinda of post.

bigthirsty, I don't know if you were around for this thread, but it's been one of my all time favs.

It's where I first met Sarge and the other LDSers here at CD.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-answered.html

Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,045,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
bigthirsty, I don't know if you were around for this thread, but it's been one of my all time favs.

It's where I first met Sarge and the other LDSers here at CD.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-answered.html

Thanks Alpha for the thread. I'll spend some time there.

Since the thread you linked to is already out there maybe a good thread would be:

"What do members of the LDS church feel others are most confused about"

Thanks again.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:31 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,492,401 times
Quote:

Since the thread you linked to is already out there maybe a good thread would be:

Thanks again.
I think that's a great idea.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks again.

Start it up if you'd like.

I'm sure the more Romney is in the news, the more Mormons and Mormonism is going to be on CD.

Now we have: Homosexuality, Evolution, biblical contradictions, Harry Potter/Golden Compass, and now Mormonism.

It's the CD top 5. Congratulations Mormons! I have a feeling you're heading for #1

Old 12-07-2007, 11:33 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,517,642 times
Quote:

Big, you bring up something very interesting, so I have to ask this question:
Why would I or any member of the LDS faith be anything less than "up and up" regarding our religion? Are you under the impression we are trying to hide something? If so, do you know how you came about this belief or feeling?

I understand people who just hate us or can't stand our doctrine. I can actually deal with them quite easily, but I am concerned about the general public, who have somehow formed the belief we are keeping some dark secret.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,116,353 times
Thanks Alpha for that link. I must have come after that thread got started. I haven't read all of it, but I have already seen that their idea of "hell" is more like what I think.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
Default History

The Mormon church - as the mormon church - as I understand traces its history to founder, Prophet Joseph Smith, who reports of a vision he had of God.

He states that his purpose was to ask this God which of the (Christian) churches was right and which he should join.

He was told that he should join none of them; they were all wrong, their members were all corrupt; their creeds (which Christians today still affirm) were all corrupt.

So: the God who, according to Prophet Joseph, led him to establish the LDS church, began by urging Prophet Joseph to distance himself from "Christians".

Because of this I find it strange that modern LDS people want to do the opposite of their founding prophet and the God who appeared to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity