Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 AM

250 posts, read 503,496 times

Advertisements

Does anyone find the 7th article of faith controversial?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
Now onto the 7th Article of Faith:

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

The seventh article of Faith simply announces that we believe in the gifts of the spirit, which are given for the benefit of those that believe. The 46th section of the Doctrine and Covenants is an exellent treatise on this subject. I have included two verses from that section.

8 Wherefore, beware lest ye are deceived; and that ye may not be deceived seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given;
9 For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts.
Quote:
Does anyone find the 7th article of faith controversial?
Sorry it took me a bit to respond....it's a busy day today at work.

I don't find it controversial...it sounds like what we believe as well. However, it has prompted another question in my mind. Just for clarification, since you have mentioned that only LDS men are eligible for the priesthood, are the gifts of the Spirit only for the holders of the priesthood? Does this mean that women are not eligible to receive the gifts of the Spirit?

*I am not, in any way, trying to start a gender debate, I am only asking for clarification.

If this is the case, that would be where this article of faith differs from Protestantism (sp?). We believe the gifts of the Spirit are for any and all believers who are filled with the Spirit.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the question, Doji.

The gifts of the spirit are available to everyone, male and female. From the Doctrine and Covenants, section 46:

11 For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.

12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.

13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.

14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.

15 And again, to some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know the differences of administration, as it will be pleasing unto the same Lord, according as the Lord will, suiting his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men.

16 And again, it is given by the Holy Ghost to some to know the diversities of operations, whether they be of God, that the manifestations of the Spirit may be given to every man to profit withal.

17 And again, verily I say unto you, to some is given, by the Spirit of God, the word of wisdom.

18 To another is given the word of knowledge, that all may be taught to be wise and to have knowledge.

19 And again, to some it is given to have faith to be healed;

20 And to others it is given to have faith to heal.

21 And again, to some is given the working of miracles;

22 And to others it is given to prophesy;

23 And to others the discerning of spirits.

24 And again, it is given to some to speak with tongues;

25 And to another is given the interpretation of tongues.

26 And all these gifts come from God, for the benefit of the children of God.

27 And unto the bishop of the church, and unto such as God shall appoint and ordain to watch over the church and to be elders unto the church, are to have it given unto them to discern all those gifts lest there shall be any among you professing and yet be not of God.

As usual, when the scriptures use the word "men" it is written in a generic sense to denote men and women. In fact, one would have to wonder if women are not more commonly the recipients of these gifts than men. It should be noted, however, that the Bishop and others as God shall appoint are responsible to discern these gifts, whether they be of God. As you may know some "gifts" are not of God and can lead to confusion in the Church. Paul seems to be warning of such in his epistle to the Corinthians when he writes of the gift of tongues.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:48 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,711 times
Quote:
It should be noted, however, that the Bishop and others as God shall appoint are responsible to discern these gifts, whether they be of God.
I know this is somewhat different between us in that both men and women are able to discern, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, not only their gift(s) but how to use them on their own for the glory of God. As I read through these, I get the sense that men are used to stand in, so to speak, on behalf of others for a variety of reasons. Do you think that this impedes on our relationship with the Lord? Does it limit the intimacy we have with Him in regards to every aspect of our lives, having another person to do some of the interpreting for us?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I know this is somewhat different between us in that both men and women are able to discern, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, not only their gift(s) but how to use them on their own for the glory of God. As I read through these, I get the sense that men are used to stand in, so to speak, on behalf of others for a variety of reasons. Do you think that this impedes on our relationship with the Lord? Does it limit the intimacy we have with Him in regards to every aspect of our lives, having another person to do some of the interpreting for us?
I think I understand your question. In your church the gifts of the spirit are a very personal thing and individuals determine for themselves if the "gift" is from God and if so what it means? Is that what you are saying?

Read through the gifts of the spirit listed in that section of the Doctrine and Covenants. Most of those are very personal and would be between God and the recipient of that gift. However, Satan likes to mascarade as an angel of light with the intent to destroy the Church of God, and it is incumbent upon ecclesiastical leaders who have stewardship over the flock to discern between gifts from God and "gifts" from Satan when those so-called gifts cause confusion and contention in the Church. Does that answer your question?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:31 PM

Let me clarify. Throughout the protestant churches, followers develop a very personal and intimate relationship with the Lord, who we believe is closer than a brother, so to speak. We believe that He is able to guide and direct us in every aspect of our lives including the gifts imparted to us and on how to use them for His glory. It deepens our relationship because we are in such close communion with Him.

My question is, because you have leaders to discern and guide the people regarding gifts, do you/they feel as close to Christ in spite of another being the go-between? Does that help somewhat?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Let me clarify. Throughout the protestant churches, followers develop a very personal and intimate relationship with the Lord, who we believe is closer than a brother, so to speak. We believe that He is able to guide and direct us in every aspect of our lives including the gifts imparted to us and on how to use them for His glory. It deepens our relationship because we are in such close communion with Him.

My question is, because you have leaders to discern and guide the people regarding gifts, do you/they feel as close to Christ in spite of another being the go-between? Does that help somewhat?
I welcome others to opine on this subject. In short, no.

I personally have not seen such intervention--at least that I can remember right off the top of my head. Anybody else? Urban, your experience in the LDS church?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:42 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
I welcome others to opine on this subject.
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what Urban means. Urban, could you define what you mean by gifts?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 AM

The gifts I'm referring to are listed in 1 Cor. 12: 1-11 and 14:1-25. It can also mean the abilities and talents that are given to us by God that we use to glorify Him in this life. Does that explain ok?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
The gifts I'm referring to are listed in 1 Cor. 12: 1-11 and 14:1-25. It can also mean the abilities and talents that are given to us by God that we use to glorify Him in this life. Does that explain ok?

Yes, thanks.

In answer to your question, we are personally responsible for discovering, developing, and applying our abilities and talents in keeping with God's desires. The leadership of the Church can't do this for us. The time and logistics would be overwhelming.

The leadership guides the Church as a whole. Each man and woman has specific stewardships, and idividual gifts are part of that stewadrship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity