Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
At least I tried, Finn.
I just returned your compliments back to you. I already made my points, and your comments do not prove them wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 02:34 PM

225 posts, read 161,972 times
Quote:
=Mike555;34232313]The term 'Holy Spirit' always refers to the third Person of the Trinity - God the Holy Spirit.

That the Holy Spirit is God is seen in Acts 5:3-4 where Peter tells Ananias that in lying to the Holy Spirit he did not lie to men, but to God.

That the Holy Spirit is distinct from the Father is seen in Romans 8:27 where it is said that God (the Father) knows the mind of the Spirit.
Rom. 8:27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
The Holy Spirit has a mind which the Father knows. And the Holy Spirit intercedes for the saints. Intercession is between two parties. The Holy Spirit intercedes between God the Father and man with groanings too deep for words as per Rom. 8:26.

So it is seen that the Holy Spirit is God, but that He is distinct from the Father.

And that He is distinct from Jesus Christ who is the Second Person of the Trinity is seen in passages such as John 14:16-17 and John 16:7-15.
Hi Mike,

The topic here it SEEMS to me is the Blessed Trinity; spoken of numerous times individually through out the NT.

But dear freind, God is "ONE"; with three Persons; ALL have the totality of their One Divine Nature.

Mt. 3: 13-17
"Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to the Jordan, unto John, to be baptized by him. [14] But John stayed him, saying: I ought to be baptized by thee, and comest thou to me? [15] And Jesus answering, said to him: Suffer it to be so now. For so it becometh us to fulfill all justice. Then he suffered him. [PERMITTED HIM]
[16] And Jesus being baptized, forthwith came out of the water:[GOD THE SON] and lo, the heavens were opened to him: and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, [GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT] and coming upon him. [17] And behold a voice from heaven, saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
[GOD THE FATHER]

Mt. 28:16-20
And the eleven disciples [APOSTLES] went into Galilee, unto the mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. [19] Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have [TAUGHT &] commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world."

God Bless you!

IamACatholic
Patrick

Old 04-20-2014, 03:45 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamACatholic View Post
Hi Mike,

The topic here it SEEMS to me is the Blessed Trinity; spoken of numerous times individually through out the NT.

But dear freind, God is "ONE"; with three Persons; ALL have the totality of their One Divine Nature.

Mt. 3: 13-17
"Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to the Jordan, unto John, to be baptized by him. [14] But John stayed him, saying: I ought to be baptized by thee, and comest thou to me? [15] And Jesus answering, said to him: Suffer it to be so now. For so it becometh us to fulfill all justice. Then he suffered him. [PERMITTED HIM]
[16] And Jesus being baptized, forthwith came out of the water:[GOD THE SON] and lo, the heavens were opened to him: and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, [GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT] and coming upon him. [17] And behold a voice from heaven, saying: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
[GOD THE FATHER]

Mt. 28:16-20
And the eleven disciples [APOSTLES] went into Galilee, unto the mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. [19] Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have [TAUGHT &] commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world."

God Bless you!

IamACatholic
Patrick
Well, actually the OP asked specifically about the Holy Spirit and so that's the question I addressed. But absolutely God is one God in three Persons. There are three 'Persons' who are so united in their essence that they are one Being. The three 'Persons' of the Godhead while distinct from each other do not have separate existence. The one true God is the triune God. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Holy, Holy, Holy - Hillsong United - YouTube

Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Question: "Is the Holy Spirit a "He," "She," or “It,” male, female, or neuter?"

Answer: A common mistake made with regard to the Holy Spirit is referring to the Spirit as "it," something most translations of the Bible are careful to avoid. The Holy Spirit is a person. He has the attributes of personhood, performs the actions of persons, and has personal relationships. He has insight (1 Corinthians 2:10-11). He knows things, which requires an intellect (Romans 8:27). He has a will (1 Corinthians 12:11). He convicts of sin (John 16:8). He performs miracles (Acts 8:39). He guides (John 16:13). He intercedes between persons (Romans 8:26). He is to be obeyed (Acts 10:19-20). He can be lied to (Acts 5:3), resisted (Acts 7:51), grieved (Ephesians 4:30), blasphemed (Matthew 12:31), even insulted (Hebrews 10:29). He relates to the apostles (Acts 15:28) and to each member of the Trinity (John 16:14; Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14). The personhood of the Holy Spirit is presented without question in the Bible, but what about gender?

Read more: Is the Holy Spirit a "He," "She," or “It,” male, female, or neuter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There are too many mistaken and/or misrepresented interpretations in your list to address them all. But I will address the first few IN CONTEXT (something you always seem to promote but seldom do).

1 Corinthians 2:10-12 King James Version (KJV)

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

This clearly refers to the consciousness (Spirit/Mind) of God and makes reference to our own human consciousness (spirit/mind) . . . but our ancestors had no conception of consciousness.

Romans 8:26-27 King James Version (KJV)

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

This is clearly referring to Christ as the "intercessor" and the one who knows the "mind of God" (Spirit) . . . NOT some separate entity. The Comforter IS the human consciousness of Christ reborn as Spirit (Holy Spirit) accessible to our consciousness.

John 16:7-15 King James Version (KJV)

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
<snip>
13 Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for He shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that He shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
The first thing to recognize is that the there is NO "him. he, she, it" . . . the word is "autos" and it merely refers back to itself without any such designations. Second The Comforter is the human consciousness of Christ reborn as Spirit . . . that is why the Spirit glorifies Christ because it is His human consciousness that "is shown unto us." It is the same as it was for Christ with the Father's consciousness (Holy Spirit).

1 Corinthians 12:6-11 King James Version (KJV)

6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will.

Again there is no "he" . . . it is "autos" just a reference to what came before. This is entire verse is referring to God's Spirit . . . i.e., His consciousness as manifested in the human consciousness of Jesus and reborn as Spirit to be made accessible to all human consciousness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are too many mistaken and/or misrepresented interpretations in your list to address them
I simply posted YOUR citations IN CONTEXT . . . something you seldom do. Re-read and see if it rings any bells. Remember " there is NO "him. he, she, it" . . . the word is "autos" and it merely refers back to itself without any such designations." You are misunderstanding because of the English use of pronouns that do not exist in the Greek.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaWithTheBaloon View Post
Someone wrote that spirit in the context of The holy spirit means personality/being. Is this right? Where in the bible does The holy spirit mean personality/being, and where does it mean something else? Thanks
For starters Jesus' baptism:

The Father spoke

The Son (Jesus) was being baptized

The Holy Spirit descended

As post #14 reads in part:
  • He has insight (1 Corinthians 2:10-11).
  • He knows things, which requires an intellect (Romans 8:27).
  • He has a will (1 Corinthians 12:11).
  • He convicts of sin (John 16:8).
  • He performs miracles (Acts 8:39).
  • He guides (John 16:13).
  • He intercedes between persons (Romans 8:26).
  • He is to be obeyed (Acts 10:19-20).
  • He can be lied to (Acts 5:3)
  • He can be resisted (Acts 7:51)
  • He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30)
  • He is blasphemed (Matthew 12:31)
  • He is insulted (Hebrews 10:29)
  • He relates to the apostles (Acts 15:28)
and also
  • He is the origin of the written Scripture and true prophecy (2 Peter 1:20-21)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity