Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you go to a mega church?
Yes 3 14.29%
No 12 57.14%
I don't attend church. 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam01 View Post
When I was younger I attended one, but I have since learned the real truth about God. Very likely you are interested in getting answers to life’s big questions. No doubt you sometimes wonder: ‘What is the purpose of life? Is this life all there is? What is God really like?’ It is good to ask such questions, and it is important that you do not give up until you find satisfying, reliable answers. The famous teacher Jesus Christ said: “Keep on asking, and it will be given you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.”Matthew 7:7
If you “keep on seeking” for answers to the important questions, you will find that the search can be very rewarding. Proverbs 2:1-5 Despite what other people may have told you, there are answers, and you can find them—in the Bible. The answers are not too hard to understand. Better yet, they bring hope and joy. And they can help you to live a satisfying life right now. If you would like to know more please research the book. What Does The Bible Really Teach? its a yellow book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Define "mega". And does the number of attendies make it bad?
I posted this link in the OP, which has a list of mega churches in the USA.

Quote:
A megachurch typically is a term that refers to a church with more than 2,000 weekly attendees. Catholic churches are usually not considered mega churches. Mega churches have drawn a lot of criticism for their focus on entertainment and drawing people away from smaller churches and tax exempt status. The current largest megachurch in the world is South Korea’s Yoido Full Gospel Church, with more than 830,000 members.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I live in a smaller city and there really isn't a mega church. There are a few really big churches but not that I would call mega. My brother-in-law lived in Knoxville and went to a HUGE church and I just couldn't understand why. It was more like going to a concert. Probably 5 or 6 thousand people all milling around. He never personally met the pastor. Nor did he seem to have a desire to do so. They only go on Sunday and don't really know any other people at the church.

I want/need a more personal church experience.
Yeah, the local mega church that I went to had valet parking and during the offering, he said, "C'mon, y'all! We've got a five-million dollar mortgage to pay off."

I was like, "Does he mean the church or his OWN personal mortgage?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam01 View Post
When I was younger I attended one, but I have since learned the real truth about God. Very likely you are interested in getting answers to life’s big questions. No doubt you sometimes wonder: ‘What is the purpose of life? Is this life all there is? What is God really like?’ It is good to ask such questions, and it is important that you do not give up until you find satisfying, reliable answers. The famous teacher Jesus Christ said: “Keep on asking, and it will be given you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.”Matthew 7:7
If you “keep on seeking” for answers to the important questions, you will find that the search can be very rewarding. Proverbs 2:1-5 Despite what other people may have told you, there are answers, and you can find them—in the Bible. The answers are not too hard to understand. Better yet, they bring hope and joy. And they can help you to live a satisfying life right now. If you would like to know more please research the book. What Does The Bible Really Teach? its a yellow book.
The bolded is very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes. We have ~5,000 members. Multiple services. I love it! Lot's of opportunities to serve & learn.
Good to hear a more positive response on the mega church experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I wonder how many mega churches dont teach tithing or the truth about it. They wouldnt be mega for long afterwards.
Have you seen that show "Preachers of L.A."?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 6,394 times
well i have been to both. currently I am looking for a church where i live . I live in a tiny town now so church i went to would have to be considered a mega church for town this size they have 3 services a week. I met more people here.
My experiance in a mega church Church on the Rise, in Westlake Ohio

The church always said they were trying to save Cleveland. Financially they kept doing stupid stuff. Bragging in service that he saved an tv camera for 35000. that wasn't horrible just showed me he wanted to be on television. The singer Carmen came to church one sunday . the preacher tried to shame him into singing. Then for appearance sake he put two wooden posts on stage. they were white and did not reach roof so visual only. Then 2 weeks later he bragged he spent $60000 painting those posts to look like marble. At this point I almost quit.

My son who is 27 now has a type of migraine that mimics a stroke. We were at a service that stressed the importance of helping one another as christians. well after service as we were on our way out Adam had an attack . He collapsed. There were 3 exits from church everyone moved over to other exits. only after 10 minutes did an usher come up. During that whole time he was only one. In showing how bad this was let me paint another picture. We went to see a movie after movie Adam collapsed. The manager came up immediately. people that did not know me offered me help. About 6 people helped some shielding him so no passerby stomped him. others helped me get him into his wheel chair that i went and got.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 AM

7 posts, read 6,394 times
cant figure out how to edit let me just add that was last time i attended that church.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
No, I do not.

The only mega church I can think of in this area is the Calvary Chapel in Ft Lauderdale, which is all over the news now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity