U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 4,390 times

Advertisements

I read that Ignatius of Antioch was a student of John the apostle. So if Jesus and the apostles never lived, did some early Christians make up that they were taught by apostles, or were there people falsely claiming to be the apostles? Thanks

Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM

20,291 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous-- View Post
I read that Ignatius of Antioch was a student of John the apostle. So if Jesus and the apostles never lived, did some early Christians make up that they were taught by apostles, or were there people falsely claiming to be the apostles? Thanks
Do you personally believe that Jesus and the apostles never lived?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 AM

8,825 posts, read 6,294,647 times
Quote:
If you don't believe in Apostolic Succession it simply means that the apostles did not attempt to teach or talk to anyone about Jesus.

In this instance Mark could not write his gospel and Timothy would not have a part in the NT.

An apostle is a messenger.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM

Oh. I was thinking about the disciples.. But was John one of Jesus' disciples? All of the disciples were apostles, and there were more of the apostles also? I don't believe Jesus lived, no.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM

20,291 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Quote:
Oh. I was thinking about the disciples.. But was John one of Jesus' disciples? All of the disciples were apostles, and there were more of the apostles also? I don't believe Jesus lived, no.
Then you are in disagreement with even secular historians who do not deny the existence of the historical Jesus though they do not believe that He is who He claimed to be.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Did you go to college?

How old are you?

Is this homework? Are you in mid school?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM

I'd rather not reveal my age or if i have gone to college. I am anonymous. This is not homework, no.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I'd rather not reveal my age or if i have gone to college. I am anonymous. This is not homework, no.
Get a church history book. Or check the Internet. WIKI usually has good reviews of this issues.

Quote:
Apostolic succession is the method whereby the ministry of the Christian Church is held to be derived from the apostles by a continuous succession, which has usually been associated with a claim that the succession is through a series of bishops.[1] This series was seen originally as that of the bishops of a particular see founded by one or more of the apostles, but it is generally understood today as meaning a series of bishops, regardless of see, each consecrated by other bishops themselves consecrated similarly in a succession going back to the apostles.[2] Christians of the Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Old Catholic, Anglican, Moravian, and Scandinavian Lutheran traditions maintain that "a bishop cannot have regular or valid orders unless he has been consecrated in this apostolic succession."[3]

For your info: Sola Scriptura folks lack Apostolic Succession. They simply rely on the bible and never used oral tradition.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 PM

What is oral tradition?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
What is oral tradition?
The things you do not learn form a textbook. For example, you learn French culture by living in France and associating with other Frenchmen. IN that manner you absorb the subtle details of French culture.

You could stay home and buy a book about France, but you would never get the French culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or