Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM

555 posts, read 456,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
But another question about confessing sins: Is it required to confess specific sins, or can you just ask forgiveness for all sins? I mean, it's possible that there would sins that you had committed that you had forgotten about, so you never ended up confessing them. I try to ask God's forgiveness for any sins I do know I have committed, but I also ask God to forgive all my sins. Does it make a difference if it's a mortal sin? What if for some reason, you had forgotten about a mortal sin you had committed many years ago, especially if it was during a time before your conversion?
Be as specific as possible. However, if you have forgotten a sin, the absolution covers ALL sins, not just those confessed that day. Finally, if you remember a sin that you forgot to confess, you ARE forgiven, but it's a good idea to mention it next time.

Regular (monthly? weekly?) is good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:30 PM

555 posts, read 456,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Please, Francis, please.

Continue to preach and embrace social justice. I can't wait to watch the Catholics obey you. Yay!
The media is under-reporting that Francis continues to affirm traditional Catholic teaching.

Or do you have an example to show otherwise?

Old 04-24-2014, 03:32 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You are kidding, right?
I've never heard my pastor stand up and talk about Protestants' errs at all. He is too busy preaching on Jesus and the bible.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:34 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCarson View Post
And yet, Jesus upholds their authority. So, despite any objections you may have to any pope (or all), because they sit the Chair of Peter, they must be obeyed.
I'm not under the chair of Peter and if and when you realize that NObody is you may figure out that being under Christ is enough for ANYbody. If the chair of Peter were a civil authority as the chair of Moses was, I would have to worry about it, but it no longer is anywhere but the Vatican.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I've never heard my pastor stand up and talk about Protestants' errs at all. He is too busy preaching on Jesus and the bible.
and if all the Catholics here did that there would be no problem, but just about all I hear is MY church is the right one and THAT is implicitly a criticism of "Protestants."

Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCarson View Post
Francis continues to affirm traditional Catholic teaching.
Actually he's taking it a step beyond "affirming" and "teaching". He's actually doing what Christ told us to do.

I'm hoping he gives everyone the proverbial good swift kick in the butt and tells Catholics to take to the streets to serve the poor. And to fix the problems caused by economic inequality. (Some do. Not enough.) Such exciting times to live in.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
This makes a lot of sense. God does know the demons we all deal with. I know person who struggles with severe bi-polar, and during her depressive episodes, she has been known to be extremely hateful and sometimes violent, to the point where with most people, what she did could probably be considered a mortal sin. But God knows her heart, and she is truly distraught over what she did when she gets out of her depressive episode. Yes, she gets help for her condition, but bi-polar really is a terrible thing to live with, especially from a spiritual perspective.

I guess all we really can do is try our best to please God, put our trust and faith completely in Him every day, and always confess our sins.

But another question about confessing sins: Is it required to confess specific sins, or can you just ask forgiveness for all sins? I mean, it's possible that there would sins that you had committed that you had forgotten about, so you never ended up confessing them. I try to ask God's forgiveness for any sins I do know I have committed, but I also ask God to forgive all my sins. Does it make a difference if it's a mortal sin? What if for some reason, you had forgotten about a mortal sin you had committed many years ago, especially if it was during a time before your conversion?
Have you talked to a priest about this? I usually say after I confess that I am sorry for these sins and all those I may have forgotten. It's the truth and covers it all but if you do remember a sin from the past you forgot about and you now remember it, it would be good to go confess it.

Plus, there are no rules on not confessing a sin again if it still bothers you. Tell the priest you are still bothered by it. Rest assured it was forgiven though but confessing it again will help your peace of mind.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I never claimed my religion is perfect. I only know I know nothing.

In reality, all I do is defend my cultural tradition and belief system. I would never say my religion is better than yours.
No, what you started out with is the claim that your cultural tradition is the "right" one. I will grant that you have backed off on that in the face of criticism of that message, but you blasted in here with the same message the current crop of proselytizers did. Thank you for backing off, but if you were just talking about how the Church helps you in living the Way Christ taught you would not feel like you had to defend that tradition.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
and if all the Catholics here did that there would be no problem, but just about all I hear is MY church is the right one and THAT is implicitly a criticism of "Protestants."

It's not meant to be a criticism of Protestants. If we didn't believe our church was the true one why would be still be going to it? When you say your church is the right one, are you criticizing Catholics? Maybe you are telling on yourself.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It's not meant to be a criticism of Protestants. If we didn't believe our church was the true one why would be still be going to it? When you say your church is the right one, are you criticizing Catholics? Maybe you are telling on yourself.
I could CARE if you believed your church was the right one. I just don;'t want it shoved in my face at every turn, can you understand that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity