Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:59 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

I know there are many unchurched Christians (C and E Christians, referencing church attendance on Christmas and Easter only) and there are others with a regular place of worship.

Will you be attending church on Palm Sunday? I think Palm Sunday is one of my most favorite Sunday services.

We will be attending Living Lord Lutheran Church in Howland, OH tomorrow, and during holy week services. Of course, on Easter.

How about you? Is there anything special that you do on the week that precedes Easter?

Favor - if you do not ascribe to Holy Week or Easter and think all of this is Pagan voodoo, then I am guessing that this post is not for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 04:12 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I know there are many unchurched Christians (C and E Christians, referencing church attendance on Christmas and Easter only) and there are others with a regular place of worship.

Will you be attending church on Palm Sunday? I think Palm Sunday is one of my most favorite Sunday services.

We will be attending Living Lord Lutheran Church in Howland, OH tomorrow, and during holy week services. Of course, on Easter.

How about you? Is there anything special that you do on the week that precedes Easter?

Favor - if you do not ascribe to Holy Week or Easter and think all of this is Pagan voodoo, then I am guessing that this post is not for you.
I and my family will be gathering together with other local Christians as we do a couple of times each week on both Palm and Easter Sunday. Plan to eat ham for Passover and even going to have some shrimp gumbo. I will also be gathering with my Mother, sister and brother and their families during this time of year. Not to mention my mother will be 80 on Easter Sunday.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Work. I have two folks in the hospital, a couple of Bible studies, a newspaper article, 4 services in the next 8 days, a sermon to write, and who knows what else will come up.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I will attend Palm Sunday services.

We have a Maundy Thursday service, but I probably won't make that one this year. The altar is stripped and the bread and wine is consecrated for Good Friday. Then we have an overnight vigil from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. that you can sign up to take an hour for. ("Could you not watch with me one hour?") You come in for an hour (or longer if you wish) and sit in the chapel with the candles lit and pray/meditate/reflect. I will participate in that.

On Good Friday, I am a reader at our noon-time service.

A neighboring church holds an overnight Easter Vigil. I've been to a late-night Easter Vigil, but never an overnight one. Trinity Wall Street in lower Manhattan holds an Easter Vigil, as well.

Easter morning we have one church service (there are usually two) followed by a pot-luck brunch in the parish hall.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I will attend Palm Sunday services.

We have a Maundy Thursday service, but I probably won't make that one this year. The altar is stripped and the bread and wine is consecrated for Good Friday. Then we have an overnight vigil from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. that you can sign up to take an hour for. ("Could you not watch with me one hour?") You come in for an hour (or longer if you wish) and sit in the chapel with the candles lit and pray/meditate/reflect. I will participate in that.

On Good Friday, I am a reader at our noon-time service.

A neighboring church holds an overnight Easter Vigil. I've been to a late-night Easter Vigil, but never an overnight one. Trinity Wall Street in lower Manhattan holds an Easter Vigil, as well.

Easter morning we have one church service (there are usually two) followed by a pot-luck brunch in the parish hall.
I try to do all four, but sometimes my work schedule doesn't permit.

But I've always felt that Maundy Thursday and Good Friday are the two most moving and transcendent services in the entire liturgical tradition. I wish that more people would go to understand the cumulative power of all the Holy Week services.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

But I've always felt that Maundy Thursday and Good Friday are the two most moving and transcendent services in the entire liturgical tradition. I wish that more people would go to understand the cumulative power of all the Holy Week services.
Our "sister" parish also holds a Tenebrae service on Wednesday. (Just a historical note--that church is pre-Revolution. My church was built in the 1870s because it was difficult to travel with carts and horses in the winter and inclement weather up what's now a state highway. Now you can drive from one church to the other in about five minutes!)

Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Went to Palm Sunday service today at Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church in Boulder, CO; Boulder's oldest Lutheran church. We got our palms, and I put them in the wreath on my door, which has been decorated for Easter for a few weeks now. (Yeah, I know, it's not real "liturgical" to do that, but I love the Easter decorations!)

I'm working on Thurs, may not get off on time to attend the Maundy Thursday service. I may go on Good Friday. Our church is having an Easter vigil Saturday night on the church patio, regardless of weather. (It's snowing here today.) It sounds neat. I'd love to go, don't know if I can convince the DH to go with.

Sunday we're having a roast beef dinner with our daughter and some extended family. The extendeds are bring some Passover food as they are Jewish. I got the "kids" (13, then late 20s-30s) some Easter treats that I will put in gift bags.

I'm looking forward to all of it!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I didn't address this earlier, but I brought up your thought about the cumulative power of the Holy Week services in a conversation with a friend today at coffee hour. She agrees.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:33 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't address this earlier, but I brought up your thought about the cumulative power of the Holy Week services in a conversation with a friend today at coffee hour. She agrees.

I agree. There is a building and a spiritual experience in churches that observe Holy Week. There is something transformational about it.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^I agree as well. Now my friend who was brought up in a more fundamentalist Christian church, and still goes to a different fundamentalist church said she had never heard of anyone but the Catholics observing Good Friday as a kid. Even to this day, many of the "Non-Doms" around here do not observe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity