Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:37 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,279,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have studied it. I remain a non-Roman Catholic.

Having said that, you didn't answer the question.
Are you talking about conversion?

You are welcomed home! Everybody wants to go back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 PM

296 posts, read 237,332 times
For me, to follow, worship and love God the way HE taught us to, instead of the way we want to, means all the difference to me and obviously for Him!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:33 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,426,140 times
Why Should I be A Catholic?

Because it is the church Christ founded and it has the fullness of the truth.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,098,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why Should I be A Catholic?

Because it is the church Christ founded and it has the fullness of the truth.
Assuming that to be true (and it isn't).....what does that benefit us? Why is that something I should want? Can you tell me in practical terms?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:04 AM

296 posts, read 237,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Assuming that to be true (and it isn't).....what does that benefit us? Why is that something I should want? Can you tell me in practical terms?
I just did.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,033,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Most commonly because of your ancestry. If your ancestors were Catholic you will likely be a Catholic.

Conversion is something else. You would do this is you seek the original Christian Church established by Jesus.

Watch this video:

Dr. Peter Kreeft's conversion to Catholicism from Protestantism (Full) - YouTube

Those that study Christian history in great detail are at risk of conversion.
i studied Christian history in great detail and, no, I am not Catholic ("universal") nor any other denomination of Christianity. I found it, Christianity, to be one religion like any other, aside from the Western heritage (other than the nonWestern Orthodox, i suppose).

Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,033,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
I just did.
i think he means why does Jesus expect "the full truth" of Roman Popery from dirty rags? why would it be fine to be a Catholic layperson, but not a Protestant Preacher? wouldnt a Protestant still be saved by Jesus for believing in Jesus ("and trying")? that excuse would aplly to all denominations though, i suspect, if it applies to layCatholics.

plus, Vizio was asking someone else, so perhaps he diidnt read whatever you posted.

Last time I checked, Gabriel, Jesus hasnt brought himself around lately to teach you anything about this supposed "fullness" from the Roman Bishop and Emperor of Vatican city.

the secular academies must be recently forgetting to teach about the inconsistencies of the claims of liniage and special status from Roman Bishops. Its no wonder that the Roman Hellenic Syncretic Polythiests would persecute a rival political group if the case was that Christians were factioning under singular foreign/rival leaders in efforts to wipeout their Hellenic religious heritage. What I remember learning is that Christians were killing pagans and eachother alike, competing for religious dues and offerings. These Christians here would attempt to burn down the Temple of Zeus, these others would vandalize the statue of Caesar, these other would flay Philosophers alive, these others would disrupt Jewish festivals, these others would deny being a part of them. Who knew what was what until Constantine stepped in to have a great deal of the main Bishops decide what "universal" Christian doctrine aught to be (by musing and casting vallots over scripture and dogma). Then harshly and violently suppressing the original minority views and subsequent opposition with Government support. Yes, I dont remember any of that turning me into a Christian vassal of the Bishop at Rome.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-15-2014 at 12:43 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 825,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Are you talking about conversion?

You are welcomed home! Everybody wants to go back home.
You have the name, that is all. Your claims do not become truth if you proclaim it again and again. There is no true church institution. Even the Apostle Peter rebuked the Lord and denied Him three times. If you built a church on the foundation of a man, it is built on sand. Christ is the foundation and the rock (Dan 2:34,35+45). It is true, the Apostles and prophets founded the first church and so should it be also today.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 AM

1,382 posts, read 761,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamACatholic View Post
Rather than "altar calls" God seeks what God Himself calls.

Here I will supply the short and precise answer to what is a GREAT question.

God choose Abram about 4,000 + years ago to be the father of a New nation founded by God; guided by God and proteced by God. Then and forever more God continued to choose One Man to Lead "HIS CHOSEN people.

Moses, the Judges, Kings like Davis and Soloman [with a covenant promise that that line would contnue], then the Prophets like Isaiah, and the final Prophet being John the Baptist, who led to the Long awaited and promised Mwessiah; Jesus the Christ.

All the while teaching a Faith of One God; with just One set of faith beliefs and for reasons ONLY God fully understands; Only One chosen people.

Then Christ following His own OT traditions, picked up where He had left of. He instituted a New Covenant; which BTW, does not void or invalidiate the prior ones; BUT does SUPERCEDE All previous Covenants because of its fullness and perfection.

Christ then choose one man; Simon, whom He named Peter. It's notable that God also changed "Abram" to "Abraham." And that any time God gives a new name it is highly signifiant and one should expect great things from susch a person.

Christ then choose 11 other men, whom He called His Apostles [Mt. 10: 1-5], led by Peter [Mt. 16:15-19]. He gave His very Powers and authority to them. Mt. 10: 1-2; John 17: 18; Jn.20:21 and Mt. 28: 18:20.

Christ also following once again what He had Ordained in the OT taught and mandated a New Faith based on One God [Triune], One set of Faith beliefs, and now with the mandate being chnaged from Cf. "just the Jewish nation" to the "ENTIRE World" Mt. 10:6-8 & Mt. 28:16-20. Also see Eph. 4: 1-7

So this then is the brief answer you seek.

From the very time of Abraham, through Christ and Peter GOD; both Yahweh and Christ with utter consistancy,and no deveations accepted insisted on a Favolive people; Only Himself as their God and now only One Church. This is both historically and biblically provable.

The fable that the CC HAD such authority at one time, but somehow :lost it" is at best a myth statred to
enable mere men to found competiting faiths, thinking that they knew n=more; or perhaps knew better than God, & His Catholic Church. Such an event not only NEVER took place; but CAN"T take place or the bible is wrong and or God is a liar/

Matthew 16: 13-19
"And Jesus came into the quarters of Caesarea Philippi: [caps for empjasis not shouting] [WHERE THE AREAS LARGEST PAGAN TEMPLE WAS LOCATED] and he asked his disciples, [APOSTLES] saying: Whom do men say that the Son of man is? But they said: Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets. Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am?

Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. [And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon[YOU PETER] this rock I will build my church,[SINGULAR] and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee [ALL OF ] the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven. " THIS LAST PART REFERS TO THE BPOWERS OF UNLIMITED GOVERNANCE AS WAS COMMON FOR WALLED IN CITES AT THE TIME; INCLUDING JERUSALEM, WHICH DOES HAVE GATES, DOORS AND LOCKS. This is precisely what Christ confired upon Peter, answerable ONLY to the king: Himslf; God.

Please let me know if you'd like me to expand upon this?

God Bless you and thanks for asking

IamACatholic
Patrick
Dear Patrick,
This explains how with the simple misinterpretation, a whole perverse set of men's traditions can be set up as to hold the seat of God, but it doesn't answer the question as to why anyone should follow this wrong path. The "rock", petra, that the church is built on is not Petros, but the revelation of the Spirit of God, that Yeshua was an anointed son of God, to Simon bar Jonas. The "Rock" of the church is the Spirit of God, which was was the foundation for the testimony of Yeshua (Rev 19:10)

Mt 16:16-19," Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. "I also say to you that you are Petros, and upon this petraI will build My church ; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

Petros means small rock, whereas petra would refer to a large foundational stone. Peter was chosen to be a shepherd, to fulfill Scripture. That Scripture was the selection of the "worthless shepherd" who would not seek the scattered, heal the broken, or sustain the one standing, but devour the flesh of the fat sheep. (Ze 11:16-17 & John 21:16)

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-15-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 AM

225 posts, read 161,016 times
Quote:
=Vizio;34370092]I have studied it. I remain a non-Roman Catholic.

Having said that, you didn't answer the question.
Duh

If you mean "why should You [and everyone else too] be a Catholic. I did address that.

There is but One true God

Who with total consistancy never waivered from Only one set of TRUE Faith beliefs.

In the OT God freely Choose One Chosen people
In the NT following the traditons He Himself set; Christ founded ONLY todays Catholic Church

Thus todays CC remains the ONLY access to heaven as holder of "all of the Keys"

ONLY those who God has not given the opportunity to Know of God; to Know of Christ AND His Catholic Church, have even the slighest possibility of attaing heaven without being associated with Her.

If the evidence I presented is insufficient or in your mind inconclusive, THEN I will certainly be happy to
expain and provide further evidence of this position.

God WILL pass Jusdment; NOT on what we choose to know or acceptl RATHER heven or Hell rest on what God MAKES possible for us to know and our response to that opportunity.

God Bless you,
Patrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity