Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 PM

45 posts, read 43,141 times

Advertisements

I guess the title pretty much explains itself. I though if would be interesting to see why people decide to become Christians? Why you believe in God? Why do you believe the Bible? How do you know God exists? How can you trust the Bible we have today is the one God intended for us to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,853,627 times
Wow, I guess I'm the wrong person to answer first because I believe in God because of the message of Jesus and that could only make sense when I DON'T believe the whole Bible is the word of God.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,291,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
I guess the title pretty much explains itself. I though if would be interesting to see why people decide to become Christians? Why you believe in God? Why do you believe the Bible? How do you know God exists? How can you trust the Bible we have today is the one God intended for us to have?
I did not decide anything. I was born into it.

You cannot apply logic to religion.

The natural progression for some is:

Believer
Disappointment
Doubt
Agnostic
Atheism

Most do not progress beyond atheism. Where are you?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Wow, I guess I'm the wrong person to answer first because I believe in God because of the message of Jesus and that could only make sense when I DON'T believe the whole Bible is the word of God.
That's an interesting view point. Would you care to elaborate?

Old 04-15-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I did not decide anything. I was born into it.

You cannot apply logic to religion.

The natural progression for some is:

Believer
Disappointment
Doubt
Agnostic
Atheism

Most do not progress beyond atheism. Where are you?
I was born into a Christian family. I have always believed in God. I became a christian when I was 13. Now that I'm in my 30's I am beginning to see my faith weaken. I need more solid evidence for God. I have been doing a lot of reading, looking at different points of view. I like to hear why others believe what they believe, and what drew them to that conclusion. I want my faith to be my own and not just because that's what my parents and grandparents believed. I also need it to be based on evidence.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,857,634 times
OP: I'll take it for granted that among all the books you read by all your so called "experts", you didn't bother to read and study the Bible. Start with the New Testament, with an open mind. Belief in God. Look around you. The world and all the life in it is a display of his creative power. As the Bible says: Every house has a builder.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
OP: I'll take it for granted that among all the books you read by all your so called "experts", you didn't bother to read and study the Bible. Start with the New Testament, with an open mind. Belief in God. Look around you. The world and all the life in it is a display of his creative power. As the Bible says: Every house has a builder.
Please don't take that for granted. Not only have I read the Bible but I have studied it my entire life. Even so I still find myself doubting its validity. I understand every house has a builder, and the heavens declare the glory of God. I also know that according to 1Peter 3:15 that we should always be ready yo give a defence to anyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is within you with meekness and fear. I can't do that at this point.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 AM

76,997 posts, read 47,342,336 times
I did not choose to believe, I just believe. No one can persuade me to not believe.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,664,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I did not choose to believe, I just believe. No one can persuade me to not believe.
Amen .... It's amazing how God keeps us from stumbling, falling prey to false teaching, false teachers, the worlds system, satan, and of course the flesh, amen !
I don't know how He does it, but it's amazing how it happens..... how the Holy Spirit is always in control of your life, instantly filling our minds, hearts with faith and giving the will to believe and obey, love it !!!

Blessings

Old 04-15-2014, 06:53 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,875,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
How do you know God exists?
Yakfish, you are a very welcome addition to this forum. You came here to learn something instead of trying to force your opinion on others.

Since I am a mathematician, I naturally try to solve problems in a logical, sequential manner.

If you want to know why a god exists, go outside and look at the world around you. Even on a rainy day like today, it is absolutely beautiful.

Do you believe there is a god behind everything you see or do you just see the natural forces of nature at work?

Don't hurry. It may take you years to answer my question, and your answer may change as the years go by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity