Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
Uh, no. God's Word is Jesus. No other subject.
That is your opinion, to which many, including the Apostle Paul, disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:13 AM

697 posts, read 1,071,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That is your opinion, to which many, including the Apostle Paul, disagree.
I think you may have misunderstood me. You questioned "whether the written word is God's Word..." Because the Bible is made up of words (I guess) many people assume it is correct to say the Bible is "God's Word." I might go so far as to say the words written by the various authors of the Bible were inspired by God, but the Word of God is not the collection of laws, stories, household advice, and letters written by men that make up what we know as the Bible. What does Paul say on the topic that makes you think that? The Word of God is Jesus. I'm not sure what Paul might have said to discount that. I'll be interested in what you point out.

Paul does speak of scripture being inspired and useful - but I've always wondered if Paul ever had any idea his own letters would also one day be held up as scripture? I don't know - he was a pretty arrogant guy, he might have expected it!

So it may help to explain that I am offended by Bible worship. To me, it is idolatry. Worship Jesus. Read the Bible. One is an infallible savior and worthy of my worship. The other is a book. An important book, but still a book. It is inspired by God, of course, and I find inspiration there as well as from many sources - the hymns I heard on Sunday, sage advice from a friend, the prayers in my book of daily readings. All of these can be interpreted as God inspired words of hope or guidance provided to me through human conduits, but none of those things are God's Word.

Does that help?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
I think you may have misunderstood me. You questioned "whether the written word is God's Word..." Because the Bible is made up of words (I guess) many people assume it is correct to say the Bible is "God's Word." I might go so far as to say the words written by the various authors of the Bible were inspired by God, but the Word of God is not the collection of laws, stories, household advice, and letters written by men that make up what we know as the Bible. What does Paul say on the topic that makes you think that? The Word of God is Jesus. I'm not sure what Paul might have said to discount that. I'll be interested in what you point out.

Paul does speak of scripture being inspired and useful - but I've always wondered if Paul ever had any idea his own letters would also one day be held up as scripture? I don't know - he was a pretty arrogant guy, he might have expected it!

So it may help to explain that I am offended by Bible worship. To me, it is idolatry. Worship Jesus. Read the Bible. One is an infallible savior and worthy of my worship. The other is a book. An important book, but still a book. It is inspired by God, of course, and I find inspiration there as well as from many sources - the hymns I heard on Sunday, sage advice from a friend, the prayers in my book of daily readings. All of these can be interpreted as God inspired words of hope or guidance provided to me through human conduits, but none of those things are God's Word.

Does that help?
I understood you the first time. Jesus is the living Word- the Bible is the written Word.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
Quote:
I understood you the first time. Jesus is the living Word- the Bible is the written Word.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 AM

555 posts, read 456,721 times
Quote:
i understood you the first time. Jesus is the living word- the bible is the written word.
+1

Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
In addition, the Vedas, Book of Mormon, Koran, Egyptian Book of the Dead, Torah, and a host of other "holy" books.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:57 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,825 times
Quote:
I understood you the first time. Jesus is the living Word- the Bible is the written word.
I asked you before: What does Paul say on the topic that makes you think that?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
I understood you the first time. Jesus is the living Word - the Bible is the written Word.
The Bible is the written word of men, according to their perceptions.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Bible is the written word of men, according to their perceptions.
Amen!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:47 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
If it is perceptions then it cannot be God breathed. If it is God breathed then it cannot be perceptions.

2 Tim 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

I choose to believe God and can only do that by what he has breathed out in His Holy Scriptures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity