Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is a belief system that states Scriptures is all that is needed to know the Lord.
If this is Sola scriptura, I do not believe that scripture can give us a relationship with the Lord to know Him, but scripture tell us who God is and who we are. We need both the Holy Spirit and the written word, that is the balance.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
In a debate the person losing the argument often tries to make a joke to somehow look better. Nice try!

Here is a Protestant copy-kat minister:
Actually, that's kinda my point. Protestant ministers and Catholic priests both have the collar thing. If you recall, Nate mentioned both. I used to think is was more of a Protestant thing than a Catholic thing ... and I'm not really sure to tell the truth. Might have been a Protestant thing for all I know.

And I'm not entirely joking. It's kind of a cool look.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
You are a mean person and very un-Christlike.
Why do you choose to be that way? Is that a Roman thing?
Although we do not always agree, he does not have a mean Spirit.
Just because you do not see eye to eye is no reason to lash out.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
Amen. I believe in confession one to another and have practiced it for years.
I have always heard it taught.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:48 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Really! I thought most believed there was a personal aspect to knowing the Lord.
OK, so you believe in God by using a personal aspect. What is that personal aspect?

BTW, I am very glad you are not Sola Scriptura. I want to know what is the personal aspect you use.

Quote:
I do wonder why you think you have the right to call people names when you do not know them or their faith? You seem to like calling people things you think is putting them down and below you somehow. You are a mean person and very un-Christlike. Why do you choose to be that way? Is that a Roman thing?
I believe you also think the term protestant is offensive. I am not sure what is your issue. I certainly don't get offended if someone calls me a Catholic.

AND YOU have often called Catholics as "Those that bow down to the Pope". I read that many times and I knew what was your intent, however I ignored the the acrimony in your words. And now you have taken completely innocent terms and want to make it look like they are insulting remarks. There is nothing insulting about Sola Scriptura or being a part of the reformation.

I suggest you look up the concept of projection.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,411 times
Quote:
OK, so you believe in God by using a personal aspect. What is that personal aspect?

BTW, I am very glad you are not Sola Scriptura. I want to know what is the personal aspect you use.

I believe you also think the term protestant is offensive. I am not sure what is your issue. I certainly don't get offended if someone calls me a Catholic.

AND YOU have often called Catholics as "Those that bow down to the Pope". I read that many times and I knew what was your intent, however I ignored the the acrimony in your words. And now you have taken completely innocent terms and want to make it look like they are insulting remarks. There is nothing insulting about Sola Scriptura or being a part of the reformation.

I suggest you look up the concept of projection.
What I find offensive is your insistence that I broke from the Roman church somehow. I find that very insulting. I would never have anything to do with a cult like that. You just did it again with the term of "reformation". We know you mean some that broke from Rome. And that ain't me. Get it. Just as calling me a Protestant is insulting because it is just you claiming your church is the only one and everyone else broke from you. That is a lie and I will reject it at every turn.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:47 PM

225 posts, read 161,972 times
Quote:
=Julian658;34548872]I congratulate you. It must have been a HUGE step to go forward and admit the benefits of confession. I will rep you.
So allow me to ask; does God have the exclusive RIGHT to determine just HOW He will [or will not] forgive our sins. Or can mere men deside this for GOD?

1John.1 Verses 8 to 10: "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [B ]If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."[/b]

1John.5 Verses 16 to 17"If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

John.20 Verses 20 to 23]" When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. [SIZE="5"]If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained[/SIZE]."

God Bless you friend,

IamACatholic
Patrick

Old 04-27-2014, 06:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It is a blind spot for anyone devoted any one religion ... but why would you assume that the RCC has exclusive ownership of holy sacraments? I can and have been baptized, receive the bread and wine weekly, was married before God in the name of Christ, etc. I don't need the Roman Catholic Church for any of these things.
I didn't say you did but wondered how some say we don't need any.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
What I find offensive is your insistence that I broke from the Roman church somehow. I find that very insulting. I would never have anything to do with a cult like that. You just did it again with the term of "reformation". We know you mean some that broke from Rome. And that ain't me. Get it. Just as calling me a Protestant is insulting because it is just you claiming your church is the only one and everyone else broke from you. That is a lie and I will reject it at every turn.
So what church do you belong to? I never read it if you posted that.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Actually, that's kinda my point. Protestant ministers and Catholic priests both have the collar thing. If you recall, Nate mentioned both. I used to think is was more of a Protestant thing than a Catholic thing ... and I'm not really sure to tell the truth. Might have been a Protestant thing for all I know.

And I'm not entirely joking. It's kind of a cool look.
I can't tell you the history on the collar unless I do a search but I do know when people see it they are more likely to go up to the person and ask questions about God and that is a very good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity