Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 AM

8 posts, read 6,598 times

Advertisements

I got these questions from reading the bible. Can someone please try to answer them? They are from Luke 3 & 4.

7 Then said he to the multitude who came forth to be baptized by him, “O generation of vipers! Who hath warned you to flee

from the wrath to come? Why does John ask who warned them to flee from the wrath to come?

8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say among yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For

I say unto you, that God is able from these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. What does it mean to bring forth fruits

worthy of repentance? Why would they say that they have Abraham as their father? What does it mean that God is able to raise

children unto Abraham from stones?

9 And now also the ax is laid unto the root of the trees. Every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down

and cast into the fire.” What is that every tree that doesn't bring good fruit is hewn down and cast into the fire an allegory for?

12 Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, “Master, what shall we do?”
Is publican a tax collecter?
15 And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their hearts whether John was the Christ or not,
What does it mean that the people were in expactation?
17 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly purge His floor and will gather the wheat into His garner; but the

chaff He will burn with fire unquenchable.”
What is a winnowin fan? What is chaff? What is it an allegory of that he will burn with fire the chaff?
4 And Jesus answered him, saying, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’”
Chapter 4.

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me to preach the Gospel to the poor. He hath sent Me to heal

the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are

bruised,
What does it mean that he has annointed him to preach ?

22 And all bore Him witness and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, “Is not this

Joseph’s son?”
What does it mean that all bore Him wintess?
23 And He said unto them, “Ye will surely say unto Me this proverb: ‘Physician, heal thyself! Whatsoever we have heard done in

Capernaum, do also here in thy country.’” What does it mean that they will say unto Him? What does "Physician, heal thyself"

mean?

25 But I tell you in truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six

months, when great famine was throughout all the land.
Does this tell about a drought?

24 And He said, “Verily I say unto you, no prophet is accepted in his own country.

25 But I tell you in truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six

26 But unto none of them was Elijah sent, save unto Zarephath, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow.

27 And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet, and none of them was cleansed, except Naaman the Syrian.”

What is the connection between the passages 24,25,26 and 27?

36 And they were all amazed, and spoke among themselves, saying, “What a word is this! For with authority and power he

commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.”
What is meant by "what a word is this" ?

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum-member View Post
I got these questions from reading the bible. Can someone please try to answer them? They are from Luke 3 & 4.

7 Then said he to the multitude who came forth to be baptized by him, “O generation of vipers! Who hath warned you to flee

from the wrath to come? Why does John ask who warned them to flee from the wrath to come?

8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say among yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For

I say unto you, that God is able from these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. What does it mean to bring forth fruits

worthy of repentance? Why would they say that they have Abraham as their father? What does it mean that God is able to raise

children unto Abraham from stones?

9 And now also the ax is laid unto the root of the trees. Every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down

and cast into the fire.” What is that every tree that doesn't bring good fruit is hewn down and cast into the fire an allegory for?

12 Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, “Master, what shall we do?”
Is publican a tax collecter?
15 And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their hearts whether John was the Christ or not,
What does it mean that the people were in expactation?
17 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly purge His floor and will gather the wheat into His garner; but the

chaff He will burn with fire unquenchable.”
What is a winnowin fan? What is chaff? What is it an allegory of that he will burn with fire the chaff?
4 And Jesus answered him, saying, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’”
Chapter 4.

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me to preach the Gospel to the poor. He hath sent Me to heal

the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are

bruised,
What does it mean that he has annointed him to preach ?

22 And all bore Him witness and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, “Is not this

Joseph’s son?”
What does it mean that all bore Him wintess?
23 And He said unto them, “Ye will surely say unto Me this proverb: ‘Physician, heal thyself! Whatsoever we have heard done in

Capernaum, do also here in thy country.’” What does it mean that they will say unto Him? What does "Physician, heal thyself"

mean?

Does this tell about a drought?

24 And He said, “Verily I say unto you, no prophet is accepted in his own country.

26 But unto none of them was Elijah sent, save unto Zarephath, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow.

27 And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet, and none of them was cleansed, except Naaman the Syrian.”

36 And they were all amazed, and spoke among themselves, saying, “What a word is this! For with authority and power he

commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.”
What is meant by "what a word is this" ?

Thanks a lot.
GINOLJC, first off, please don't take this the wrong way. most of your questions can be answered in general bible study. if you're NOT presently attending a bible study, I suggest you do. Now I will answer your questions as simply as possible, without in-depth explanation. but please get under a competent pastor for your guidance, ok.

#1. flee from unrighteousness, meaning turn from it. for example in the apostle Paul writings, 1 Corinthians 6:18 "Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body". or 1 Corinthians 10:14 "Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry". avoid sin period.

#2. bring forth fruits of righteousness. all these simply means a changed behavior, (to learn). Read Galatians 5, it will give you the fruits, either of God, or not.

#3. Raise up, to learn, and understand. see #2.

#4. expectation?. just what it means, Looking for someone. here, the CHRIST.

#5. What is a winnowin fan? What is chaff?. simply meaning he will separate. a fan here is like a fork, just as chaff is separate from wheat, or as in the parable, the wheat and the tars. he will separate them. and the chaff, or the tares is burned, or suffer loss.

#6. anointed him to preach?. I'll make it simple, chosen to bare witness to the truth.

#7. What does it mean that all bore Him wintess?. simply put, They confirmed his report. read Isaiah 53.

#8. What does "Physician, heal thyself" mean?. this was a counter proverb to those who did not believe. so why not take your own medicine, but I'm not sick, you are.

#9. Does this tell about a drought?. NO, it about trust and belief in God. read 1 Kings 17. and I know this is also in #10, but read 1 Kings chapter 5. it's also dealing with unbelief.

#10. What is the connection between the passages 24,25,26 and 27? one word, "BELIEF" in God.

#11. What is meant by "what a word is this" ?. simple, (IN THE "NAME" OF JESUS). he just separate the truth from fiction, or the true power of God from the occult, (the false Power of deception). no wigi boards, or spell casting, or crystal balls here. no, none of the occult. trust in God’s Power, or rather have God, (the Holy Spirit), dwelling in you. abide in him and he will abide in you, if not. example Matthew 7:22 "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity". NOTICE THE KEY WORD THERE?. "THY NAME".

hope this help. be blessed.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:37 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Great text showing the end times were in the first century.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
5 A winnowing fan is used to blow away chaff in separating wheat or grain from the inedible covering (called chaff)

9 yes, the reference is to the time of a drought when a prophet of God found shelter wit a particular woman named.

The connection with the citations is that people from your hometown don't think it possible that you could be great, but outsiders are able to see what homeys don't

last question: NIV translation: All the people were amazed and said to each other, "What words these are! With authority and power he gives orders to impure spirits and they come out!"
The point is that Jesus spoie with authority commanding the demons

Old 04-24-2014, 04:33 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Yes all Christians should pray for others and yourself the prayer from Ephesians 1:16-18....``Cease not to give thanks for you making mention of you in my prayers ..........That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ , the Father of Glory may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him ........The eyes of your understanding being enlightened , that you may know what is the hope of His calling , and what the riches of the Glory of His inheritance in the saints ``.... I heard believers who prayed that pray for a time and Jesus opened the door and gave them the understanding from heaven ``

Old 04-24-2014, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 6,598 times
So:
7 Then said he to the multitude who came forth to be baptized by him, “O generation of vipers! Who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Why does John ask who warned them to flee from the wrath to come? I didn't get an answer to this question.

8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say among yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say unto you, that God is able from these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. What does it mean to bring forth fruits ? It means to have changed behavior.

Why would they say that they have Abraham as their father? No answer to this either. What does it mean that God is able to raise children unto Abraham from stones? No answer.

and cast into the fire.” What is that every tree that doesn't bring good fruit is hewn down and cast into the fire an allegory for? No answer to this.

Is publican a tax collecter? You didn't answer this.

What does it mean that the people were in expactation? They waited for Christ.
17 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly purge His floor and will gather the wheat into His garner; but the chaff He will burn with fire unquenchable.”
What is a winnowin fan? What is chaff? What is it an allegory of that he will burn with fire the chaff? He will separate them?

4 And Jesus answered him, saying, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’” What does it say that they live by the word of God? Does it mean that they follows God's commands?
Chapter 4.

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me to preach the Gospel to the poor. He hath sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,What does it mean that he has annointed him to preach ? chosen Him to bare witness to the truth.

22 And all bore Him witness and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, “Is not this Joseph’s son?”
What does it mean that all bore Him wintess? They confirmed it?
23 And He said unto them, “Ye will surely say unto Me this proverb: ‘Physician, heal thyself! Whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.’” What does it mean that they will say unto Him? What does "Physician, heal thyself" mean? It is a proverb used by the non Christians meaning do it to yourself, not me.

25 But I tell you in truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land.
Does this tell about a drought? 101c says no. Nateswift says Yes.

25 But I tell you in truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land.

36 And they were all amazed, and spoke among themselves, saying, “What a word is this! For with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.”
What is meant by "what a word is this" ??

Can you give it a try, Nateswift? I didn't get answer to all the questions, but thanks anyways 101c.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
5 A winnowing fan is used to blow away chaff in separating wheat or grain from the inedible covering (called chaff)

9 yes, the reference is to the time of a drought when a prophet of God found shelter wit a particular woman named.

The connection with the citations is that people from your hometown don't think it possible that you could be great, but outsiders are able to see what homeys don't

last question: NIV translation: All the people were amazed and said to each other, "What words these are! With authority and power he gives orders to impure spirits and they come out!"
The point is that Jesus spoie with authority commanding the demons
I would just add this, nate. Back in the day 'teachers' always referred to, what a past rabbis; or a well known rabbi said/taught. Or in other words they would say something such as, "According to rabbi so and so...." And Christ didn't do that He just spoke which His own authority, and the ppl obviously recognized it as such.

Last edited by mshipmate; 04-24-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
So:
7 Then said he to the multitude who came forth to be baptized by him, “O generation of vipers! Who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Why does John ask who warned them to flee from the wrath to come? I didn't get an answer to this question.
Because many of the multitude was Pharisees and Sadducees!

Matt 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,697 times
Quote:
Why would they say that they have Abraham as their father? No answer to this either. What does it mean that God is able to raise children unto Abraham from stones? No answer.
The people back then thought they had, for lack of a better way to put it, a 'free' ticket to heaven beause they were descendants of Abraham.

Quote:

and cast into the fire.” What is that every tree that doesn't bring good fruit is hewn down and cast into the fire an allegory for? No answer to this.
Tree is a metaphor for men.

Quote:
Is publican a tax collecter? You didn't answer this.
Yes

Quote:
Chapter 4.

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me to preach the Gospel to the poor. He hath sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,What does it mean that he has annointed him to preach ? chosen Him to bare witness to the truth.
In this passage Christ stood up to read from the scroll of Isa. 61. Look it up and you will see He left off v. 2 because it was yet future.

Quote:
22 And all bore Him witness and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, “Is not this Joseph’s son?”
What does it mean that all bore Him wintess? They confirmed it?
When Christ said, "Today this Scripture is fullfilled in you midst," they understood He meant the prophecy of Isa. 61 was about Him.

Quote:
Read about the story in 1 Kings 17

It takes a lot of time to answer your very long list of questions. That is all I have time for right now.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say among yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say unto you, that God is able from these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. What does it mean to bring forth fruits ? It means to have changed behavior.

To bring forth fruits is answered in the text, it means to do what is right. Examples ....

10 And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then?
11 He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.
12 Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do?
13 And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.
14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

That is bringing forth fruits of repentance, to love.

Abraham is considered the father of the Jews, that is why they would say that. The stones, in my mind, John was calling them all small stones. The word is used for; a stone, of small stones, of building stones, metaph. of Christ.

Later Christ would call Peter a stone, but using a different word which was mostly translated Peter. The word here in Luke 3 could be seen as smaller stones. Since Christians are the true sons of Abraham, I believe John was saying God could raise some of them up to be sons also. This view cannot be proved 100% and is only my opinion. But if one thinks about it, it is a very interesting opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity