Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
RD,

Yes these words mean un-ending when taken literally, but even in English people use them in a way which does not mean un-ending, but simply mean a long time.

There are many examples like point in #2. People say stuff like "this line is taking forever" all the time.

Regardless, the words aeon and olam have been mistranslated/misunderstood, as many bibles translate them as a "forever" when in fact it cannot be so. Hyperbole.

Was Jonah in the fish forever?
Does Jesus reign forever and ever? Why more than one 'ever'? Hyperbole?
Why does it then say Jesus gives up all rule and power if He reigns 'forever and ever'?
etc.
Let's agree what the English words mean and then move on. You seem to have an issue with the facts and want to divert the discussion away from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Let's agree what the English words mean and then move on. You seem to have an issue with the facts and want to divert the discussion away from it.
Was Jonas in the fish forever ?.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:12 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Hell or Lake of Fire? I always thought they were or part of the same thing, like the Lake of Fire is in hell.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
First, I'm not sure why you are trying to sleight me about "avoiding facts" and "diversion". Really? You are reading something that is not there. I am also very interested in the truth and the facts. This is a complex topic.

To answer your question, the English word 'forever' can be commonly used to mean two things:
1. literally forever, and
2. a seemingly long time

Examples:
1. God will be around forever (literal)
2a. It took forever to get into the movie theater or
2b. The mountains will last forever (not literally forever though)

Agree?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:44 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Hell or Lake of Fire? I always thought they were or part of the same thing, like the Lake of Fire is in hell.
Some translations of the bible improperly use the word "Hell" to cover several very different places, i.e, Sheol, Hades, Gehenna, Tartarus etc..

The lake of fire is said to be death, not hell.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided
Can anyone tell me when "eternal" ends?
Eternal ends when the eons end.

Quote:
Can you tell me when "everlasting" ends?
Everlasting end when the eons end.

Quote:
Can you tell me when "without end" ends?
World without end ends when the eons end.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Some translations of the bible improperly use the word "Hell" to cover several very different places, i.e, Sheol, Hades, Gehenna, Tartarus etc..

The lake of fire is said to be death, not hell.
Euse. Do you think this was intentional or just down right laziness? Don't take forever answering please

Old 05-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Euse. Do you think this was intentional or just down right laziness? Don't take forever answering please
I don't know if it was intentional. Most likely from ignorance but maybe both?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it was intentional. Most likely from ignorance but maybe both?
Well i lean towards it bring intentional, they really couldn't of thought it all means the same thing surely. The fact that something as simple as Jonah obviously not being in the belly of the whale forever is not being seen as a mistranslation of the word by those who believe in ET with undying faith, says a lot to me. All i can say when i was presented with similar facts it was the beginning of the end of me being a devout believer in ET, what was i to do ? Deny the truth ?. Keep up the good work you guys, i know there are many out there who are experiencing having to deal with the same thing, deny the truth or carry on believing something they know in their hearts is not true and never ever could have been.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Eternal ends when the eons end.

Everlasting end when the eons end.

World without end ends when the eons end.
Eusebius, you are going to confuse her by using English words which are debatably not the correct translation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity