Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I believe the 1000 year reign is....
a literal 1000 year period of time to come. 44 68.75%
a literal 1000 year period of time which has already started. 2 3.13%
the spiritual reign of Christ with believers in the new dispensation in which we live. 8 12.50%
I'm not sure. 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:31 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times

Advertisements

First of all, wishing everybody a wonderful day!

I did some studying on Revelation 20 this weekend, and was curious which interpretation was more prevalent among Christians here on CD.

What is your interpretation? What is the basis for your belief?

I believe that it is a spiritual reign.. we are living and reigning with Christ now.

Now before we start hurling insults about deception and inform others that if they believe differently on this subject then we do that they are not saved, let's stop right here. I do believe that a literal 1000 year reign to come is an erroneous teaching; however not necessarily tied to our salvation. I believe that the spiritual reign of Christ ties in very closely with the rest of the Bible.

What do you believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 11:35 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,383 times
Well, cg81, I've always been taught that it is a literal reign and that it is in the future. It has never occured to me that it could be currently happening. Now that you mention it, it doesn't make any sense to me because I am wondering how we could be considered as "reigning" anything? No offense, I'm genuinely curious. I see a world that is increasingly hostile to Christians and their theology, so I'm not seeing how we are currently reigning with Christ.

Can you explain this?

Last edited by dojilynn; 10-29-2007 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-29-2007, 11:43 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
I take it to be literal..and has not happened yet.
The Millennial Kingdom

Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Well, cg81, I've always been taught that it is a literal reign and that it is in the future. It has never occured to me that it could be currently happening. Now that you mention it, it doesn't make any sense to me because I am wondering how we could be considered as "reigning" anything? No offense, I'm genuinely curious. I see a world that is increasingly hostile to Christians and their theology, so I'm not seeing how we are currently reigning with Christ.

Can you explain this?
I believe we are reigning over sin and the world in a spiritual sense. The disciples were expecting a physical kingdom, and Jesus replied "The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo, here! or lo, there! for, behold the kingdom of God is within you"(Luke 17:20,21) "Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there, believe it not"(Matt. 24:23) We as believers have the authority to reign over sin, declare what is sin.

You can actually break down these verses in Revelation to coincide with the spiritual era we are living in now.. I'll try to get that info together in a bit. As usual, I'm not very prepared!!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:53 AM

Baptists: rapture question

Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Quote:

Can you explain this?
Christ's Kingdom isn't of the world, though. It doesn't matter how hostile others are to us - He has already won and we're on the winning side.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I do believe that a literal 1000 year reign to come is an erroneous teaching; however not necessarily tied to our salvation. I believe that the spiritual reign of Christ ties in very closely with the rest of the Bible.

What do you believe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I believe we are reigning over sin and the world in a spiritual sense. The disciples were expecting a physical kingdom, and Jesus replied "The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo, here! or lo, there! for, behold the kingdom of God is within you"(Luke 17:20,21) "Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there, believe it not"(Matt. 24:23) We as believers have the authority to reign over sin, declare what is sin.

You can actually break down these verses in Revelation to coincide with the spiritual era we are living in now.. I'll try to get that info together in a bit. As usual, I'm not very prepared!!
Ok, I can see that we are victorious over sin through Christ.

What is the basis for claiming the literal 1000 year reign is erroneous?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Ok, I can see that we are victorious over sin through Christ.

What is the basis for claiming the literal 1000 year reign is erroneous?
good question..

Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
and what about the new Jerusalem and people outide wanting in but cannot come thru the gates? This is supposed to be the reign of Christ for the 1000 years.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Revelation 20:1 ¶ And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
I believe this angel is Jesus, who came down to save us from the curse of sin. His gift of salvation “stomped on Satan’s head” and overthrew the monopoly Satan had over our souls.. if Christ had not come, Satan would have “free reign”, with no hope for our souls.

Quote:
2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
Many prophecies, especially in Isaiah, in the Old Testament point to the coming of the Messiah as a time of blessing and peace for all nations! Isaiah 61:1 ¶ The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; Is this not the time we are living in? The authority of Satan was bound..”Deceive the nations no more” Now the gospel is for everyone..everyone has a chance. People still disregard the call, and become deceived… but God will hold them accountable for this. There is a way for everyone, and Satan no longer has the monopoly.

Quote:
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
The church has authority over sin. We are to have authority over sin also; “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal bodies.” 1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? We as Christians are to reign and overcome.. with God’s help! Not on our own strength. In this sense we are reigning with Him. The martyrs and true believers of the past are part of this reign.

Quote:
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
The “first resurrection” is the being made spiritually alive through accepting Jesus sacrifice.. being “born again”. If we take part in this first resurrection, the “second death” (being eternally lost) will have no power over us. Verse 5 refers to those who are spiritually dead by not accepting the first resurrection. After the thousand years are finished (when Christ returns) all will live again and be judged.

Quote:
7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
If we look at the world around us, it appears that Satan is being loosed. There is an anti-Christian undercurrent that is gaining strength.. “False teaching” is rampant in churches today, and sin is not being judged, not being called sin. “It’s all okay..” Society, as was mentioned in another thread, is becoming “hostile to biblical law”. “Men’s hearts are failing them for fear.” There is much unrest, turmoil, stress and insecurity. Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened. I believe that Jesus is referring to this time.. It will become very difficult to live a true Christian life.. with all the deception around already, many are losing the way. Matthew 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold, I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Isn’t this happening today? Evangelists doing “great signs and wonders”, yet where is the “real thing?” Promoting sin, saying “God loves everybody, you’ll be okay.” Deceptive thinking that has a way of affecting all of us.

Quote:
9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
As I mentioned, the world is growing more hostile to a self-denied, “bible-thumping” Christian. Even “Christians” are hostile to those who truly believe. Truly, the “camp of the saints” is being compassed about. But Christ will return, before “the very elect will be deceived”, and will judge the world and it’s wickedness.

Quote:
11 ¶ And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
I believe that all that is left as far as prophecy is Christ’s return to judge the world, and our subsequent eternal reward. We do not know how much time we have left, but it will undoubtedly get a lot worse. Our pastor this Sunday talked about this.. How committed am I? Am I prepared for the future spiritual battles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity