Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 02:25 AM

4 posts, read 3,519 times

Advertisements

Jesus tells us not to fear death

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

But the Bible also teaches that death is an enemy, not a friend.

1 Corinthians 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

I do believe in consciousness between death and the resurrection. However, I also feel that modern day Christians put far more emphasis on the intermediate state than the Bible ever does. The Bible emphasis the resurrection, not the intermediate state, and I believe that is our true hope, not death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 02:32 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The first thing a Christian does if someone is dying (or in danger of dying, as on a battlefield) is to pray that their life be spared.

Why would you do that if you really believe they are saved and going to heaven, a much better place? Shouldn't you pray for them to die instead, if it be God's will?

Not everyone says that in prayer. Some actually give them to God and his will.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:54 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Yes the will of God is that you pray for life , where is if you pray for death than that is a curse which the authority of devil will honor .....

Old 05-03-2014, 02:29 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not everyone says that in prayer. Some actually give them to God and his will.
agreed there is an assumption in the question.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
What if it's someone without young children?

Of course I know you would pray ....... but I'm stirring the pot a little, trying to get people to think about their faith. ."
What are you putting your faith in? Everyone is putting their faith in something. For the atheist, they've put their faith in the concept that they will not face their Creator. For the agnostic, they've put their faith in that Man can be indecisive on the issue.

In the end, however, there is a truth. So the question is what we are putting our faith in...

Only a question you can answer for yourself.. but the end result is independent of our opinion. Truth is truth regardless of what we think it is.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Because god does grant miracles.humans want their loved one to stay alive because they are human.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
The first thing a Christian does if someone is dying (or in danger of dying, as on a battlefield) is to pray that their life be spared.

Why would you do that if you really believe they are saved and going to heaven, a much better place? Shouldn't you pray for them to die instead, if it be God's will?
Paul thought it was a good idea.

(Colossians 1:3) 3 We thank God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ always when we pray for YOU. . .

Old 05-03-2014, 09:30 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
What are you putting your faith in? Everyone is putting their faith in something. For the atheist, they've put their faith in the concept that they will not face their Creator. For the agnostic, they've put their faith in that Man can be indecisive on the issue.

In the end, however, there is a truth. So the question is what we are putting our faith in...

Only a question you can answer for yourself.. but the end result is independent of our opinion. Truth is truth regardless of what we think it is.
I have a certain amount of faith in science - not as Revealed Truth, but as a way to steadily reveal truths.

To a much lesser extent I have faith in the existence of God, and the possibility of an afterlife.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:18 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Funny - I was wondering something very similar this evening. I was thinking about how much people do not want to die and do not want to leave this world. I have actually wished I was not in this world and wished I was dead on a number of occasions and yet people frown on "feeling that way" or admitting that you feel that way. For me it usually has to do with being tired of chronic illness and tired of having to see so much injustice and corruption. I don't feel that way all the time - but sometimes I do wish I could just be "done with this life".

Old 05-04-2014, 05:15 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:

A Christian praying for the person dying in their life to be healed, spared for the very same reason a non-believer hopes that the person in their life would not die, it's called love !
It is not about because their saved anyway or whatever .

It's about knowing they will be gone out of their life especially when there is a close relationship and knowing not being able to see that person again is very painful mentally so our human nature kicks in, we end up reacting in our emotions and we usually end up praying in a state of selfishness in our emotional pain and not really understanding God's will and that death being the ultimate healing for our loved one and fulfilling their longing to be with their God, amen !

Yet, I believe God knowing our hearts when we are in the deep emotional pain of losing a loved one, having to watch that loved one going through the pain of death, forgives us of our unconsciousness of such selfishness at the time. The human mind is a very fragile part of life and death is one of the most difficult emotions we as humans have to deal with this side of eternity, Christian or non-Christian !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity