Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 04:29 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,288,707 times

Advertisements

I would remain a Christian?

How about you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 PM

I fully expect this thread to go down quickly.

I understand it would be difficult for many to be a Christian if there was no payoff.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:12 PM

368 posts, read 389,076 times
It has nothing to do with a "payoff", but rather with the logic of the question.

If there were no salvation, and no eternal life, that would mean either that
1) Jesus Christ did not die for our sins, or rise from the dead, OR
2) If he did die for our sins and rise from the dead, it had no effect as far as we are concerned -- which would mean that Jesus Christ was not God.

In either case, what you are asking is "Would you be a Christiain if Christ were not Christ, or if there were no Christ at all?"

The question is therefore a totally illogical contradiction in terms, much along the same line as "If God were not God, would you worship him as God?"

Last edited by GreenWhiteBlue; 05-02-2014 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 05:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,278,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I would remain a Christian?

How about you guys?
I would, because I have found that following the Bibles guidance in life, leads to the best life possible.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
It has nothing to do with a "payoff", but rather with the logic of the question.

If there were no salvation, and no eternal life, that would mean either that
1) Jesus Christ did not die for our sins, or rise from the dead, OR
2) If he did die for our sins and rise from the dead, it had no effect as far as we are concerned -- which would that Jesus Christ was not God.

In either case, what you are asking is "Would you be a Christiain if Christ were not Christ, or if there were no Christ at all?"

The question is therefore a totally illogical contradiction in terms, much along the same line as "If God were not God, would you worship him as God?"
Excellent response!

But, for the sake of argument, lets just say there is no eternal life. Would you still be a Christian? There is another side to Christianity that has to do with the Sermon on The Mount.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I would, because I have found that following the Bibles guidance in life, leads to the best life possible.
I agree with you. There is a lot of positivity by trying to live like Jesus did. Nothing wring with that!

Was salvation and eternal life Mother Theresa's motivation? Or was Mother Theresa simply interested in helping others?

Old 05-02-2014, 05:56 PM

7,708 posts, read 12,558,763 times
But there is salvation and eternal life.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:01 PM

368 posts, read 389,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Was salvation and eternal life Mother Theresa's motivation? Or was Mother Theresa simply interested in helping others?
Mother Teresa's motivation was love for Christ. As has been noted of her,
Quote:
To a man who once saw her cleaning the wounds of a leper and said, "I wouldn't do that for a million dollars," Mother Teresa replied, "Neither would I. But I would gladly do it for Christ."

As Mother Teresa said on more than one occasion, her work and the work of her sisters was "not social work, but religious work." She was never simply interested in helping others; she was focused on expressing her love for Christ by seeing Christ in other people, and then treating them as she would treat Christ.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,278,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
Mother Teresa's motivation was love for Christ. As has been noted of her,

As Mother Teresa said on more than one occasion, her work and the work of her sisters was "not social work, but religious work." She was never simply interested in helping others; she was focused on expressing her love for Christ by seeing Christ in other people, and then treating them as she would treat Christ.
And that is an example of living by the standards of the Bible, as Christ is our exemplar. Best life possible.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,224,358 times
If death equates to a sleep without dreams?
I would continue to love, and help others:

"What is mine is yours, if you have need of it."

It's called compassion, which comes from the heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity