Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Can you tell me which "doctrine" is not false. After reading so many of your posts, it's obviously yours, but I'm unclear as to which one that is.
Quote:
A simple one word answer would have led us less off topic than the dance you just did.
Quote:
Have no desire to watch it. Can you answer a simple question with a simple answer? Doubtful.
Yes.

Happy now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"You're not making Christianity better. You're just making rock and roll worse!" -- Hank Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLJ3rLvtKIU

Ha, ha, that was real funny!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Yes.

Happy now?
Not really. You didn't answer the question. But I never expected you would so my suspicions are confirmed.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
...have you or would you ever think of attending and possibly converting to a Protestant religion that is similar to Catholicism?...
My father was a very devout Catholic, (rest his soul). My mother was not. Us six kids were raised Catholic and I attended the local Catholic parochial school from the first through eight grade, and was even an alter boy for a year.

When I was fourteen years old, one of my neighborhood playmates invited me to one of his church socials, then shortly thereafter, to one of his Sunday services. I can specifically remember, "Wow, these people really care about each other." As a child and young teen, I didn't get much out of Mass and remember leaving right after Mass and not socializing much at all. The people in the protestant church socialized for quite awhile after services.

The thing that really was an eye-opener for me is that the protestant church actually read the Bible and talked about what was in it during their services. Up to that time, and even in eight years of parochial school, we never read from the Bible or studied it. Sure, as young kids, we got the standard Bible stories. But, how could we go through eight years in a Catholic school without ever having to refer to a Bible or study it? There was catechism, but not any Bible study, or study straight out of a Bible.

That is the main reason that I no longer attend Mass, but attend a non-Catholic Christian church. I am not anti-Catholic in any way and always make it a point to visit the Vatican whenever I am in Rome, one year attending the Wednesday morning Papal audience. The Mass I attended in Buenos Aires was a bit strange/different. It was at the church where some the first people were hauled away, (and disappeared), during Argentina's "Dirty War" in the late 70s and early 80s. The priest was a guitar-strumming song leader while conducting the Mass. It was actually a very nice Mass.

I most closely identify myself as a member of the Church of Christ. It's sort of come full-circle because my great-great grandfather was a Church of Christ missionary to Australia and was a preacher for many years in the Boise area. I don't have any idea what his son, (my great grandfather), believed, but I do know that my grandmother was agnostic, maybe even an atheist. I don't know, and never will as she is long gone, as are my parents. I'm curious to know what happened to cause my grandmother to not believe. Her husband, (my paternal grandfather), must have been a Catholic and raised his son, (my dad), to be one. My dad went to a Catholic high school in the Los Angeles area.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My father was a very devout Catholic, (rest his soul). My mother was not. Us six kids were raised Catholic and I attended the local Catholic parochial school from the first through eight grade, and was even an alter boy for a year.

When I was fourteen years old, one of my neighborhood playmates invited me to one of his church socials, then shortly thereafter, to one of his Sunday services. I can specifically remember, "Wow, these people really care about each other." As a child and young teen, I didn't get much out of Mass and remember leaving right after Mass and not socializing much at all. The people in the protestant church socialized for quite awhile after services.

The thing that really was an eye-opener for me is that the protestant church actually read the Bible and talked about what was in it during their services. Up to that time, and even in eight years of parochial school, we never read from the Bible or studied it. Sure, as young kids, we got the standard Bible stories. But, how could we go through eight years in a Catholic school without ever having to refer to a Bible or study it? There was catechism, but not any Bible study, or study straight out of a Bible.

That is the main reason that I no longer attend Mass, but attend a non-Catholic Christian church. I am not anti-Catholic in any way and always make it a point to visit the Vatican whenever I am in Rome, one year attending the Wednesday morning Papal audience. The Mass I attended in Buenos Aires was a bit strange/different. It was at the church where some the first people were hauled away, (and disappeared), during Argentina's "Dirty War" in the late 70s and early 80s. The priest was a guitar-strumming song leader while conducting the Mass. It was actually a very nice Mass.

I most closely identify myself as a member of the Church of Christ. It's sort of come full-circle because my great-great grandfather was a Church of Christ missionary to Australia and was a preacher for many years in the Boise area. I don't have any idea what his son, (my great grandfather), believed, but I do know that my grandmother was agnostic, maybe even an atheist. I don't know, and never will as she is long gone, as are my parents. I'm curious to know what happened to cause my grandmother to not believe. Her husband, (my paternal grandfather), must have been a Catholic and raised his son, (my dad), to be one. My dad went to a Catholic high school in the Los Angeles area.
I respect your stance and in no way will try to persuade you any differently. But you said that we never read from the Bible as Catholics? Were you aware that at every Mass there are at least 2 readings (3 on Sunday) directly from the Bible? And it is normal for the Pastor to give a homily regarding those readings?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:03 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I have been to many Protestant churches many times. I see nothing wrong with their worship which is mostly copied form the Catholic mass. I see no fault with what they do because no religion is better than another.

My only beef is that some Protestant churches look sterile with just four walls and little or no art. Some don't even have a cross. When I go to a church I want to feel I am in church and I don't get that sensation because of the sparse or non-existent decor in some Sola Scriptura Churches. Anglican and Lutheran churches are fine.
I feel the same way. I'm now Presbyterian, but our church feels like a church. You know, pews, stained glass, an actual altar, candles, cross, etc. But the non-denominational churches feel more like a warehouse to me. But it that's what works for some people, then good for them.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I sympathize.

I attend Mass at least once a week. More if I can. And more often than not the music is ... well, I don't have the words. Disappointing to say the least. There are times I actually want to throw the hymnal at the guitarist. I told my wife a week or two ago that I'm very afraid we're only one evening Mass away from the choir leader unpacking a banjo and singing, "Get Down Moses."

Which is a shame, considering that some of the most beautiful music ever written (Beethoeven, Mozart, Bach, Palestrina) was written specifically for the Mass. I don't understand why we've been cursed with kumbaya campfire tunes at Mass.
lol! (at the banjo statement). I know what you mean. My Presbyterian church is very into traditional music and litergy, with a choir and pipe organ, occassional brass intruments added. They often have music in Latin, and pieces by Clasical artists. This is what I enjoy, and what works for me.

But I've heard from friends who are on the opposite end of the spectrum (meaning the rock band/praise music evangelicals) that they can't stand the very traditional churches and classical music or liturgy. I wouldn't say "their way" is irrelevant or wrong, it just shows that different styles work for different people.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

I agree that most evangelicals tend to be more social with their fellow parishioners. If you were in need of this sort of thing this church is right for you. If you go to a large Catholic Church and you are NEW no one will notice you. No one will come looking for you.

As a Catholic I am not interested in being that close to fellow parishioners, so the detachment works fine for me.

If you are bible oriented, then a Sola Scriptura Church is best for you. As a Catholic I prefer the milenary traditions over the Sola Scriptura philosophy. Your story is not unusual!

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I respect your stance and in no way will try to persuade you any differently. But you said that we never read from the Bible as Catholics? Were you aware that at every Mass there are at least 2 readings (3 on Sunday) directly from the Bible? And it is normal for the Pastor to give a homily regarding those readings?

I missed that part. There is always a reading from the OT, a singing psalm, NT, and the gospel. That is four reading from the bible in the mass. I suspect, he was asleep during mass.

But, mostly I think he was impressed by the attention evangelical parishioners pay to those that visit the church.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:28 AM

My in-laws go to a very progressive Baptist church. They have an entire band on stage. I call it a stage because it's nothing like an altar. Multi level with lots of microphones and the drummer is right in the middle. No cross anywhere to be found. Put any local band up there and serve beer in the back and it's a concert hall. And they have 2 huge projection screens that have the words to their songs like karaoke. Nobody knows the words. They are all just staring at the screens singing these pesudo-rock songs.

To each his own. But it's certainly not for me. I've NEVER left there with any feeling of spirituality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity