Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:16 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,997 times

Advertisements

All,

I'm not the most religious individual in the world. However recently I've been trying to go to church more often. The problem is that when I pray in church nothing happens. My mind just wanders off thinking about business, family and believe or not sex. I feel terrible why isn't prayer working for me.
I almost at a point of thinking that i'm just a doomed soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
All,

I'm not the most religious individual in the world. However recently I've been trying to go to church more often. The problem is that when I pray in church nothing happens. My mind just wanders off thinking about business, family and believe or not sex. I feel terrible why isn't prayer working for me.
Nah, you're normal. It happens to everyone I know that prays. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to read the Bible or listen to a sermon and fallen asleep. However, I can stay awake for a good movie.

It's not based on our works, but His finished work anyways.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
It depends on one's beliefs, but you can't expect prayers to be answered right away. I personally am of the belief that all prayers are answered in some form though.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:10 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
All,

There are three things that make war against God
  1. Satan and his demons
  2. the world
  3. our own sinful flesh
Despair (or feeling one is doomed) comes from one of these three.
Don't listen to it!

However, listen to the good news !
We aren't in this on our own:
John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Romans 8:26
"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness.
For we do not know what to pray for as we ought,
but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."

1 Peter 3:12
"For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
All,

If you have received Christ as Savior you have been eternally saved and can never lose your salvation.

In whatever you do, including concentrating in church, you must take the responsibility to motivate yourself to concentrate and not 'wander off.' As for prayer, and everything that is related to your spiritual life, always acknowledge directly to God the Father your known sins as per 1 John 1:9 so that you are in fellowship and filled with the Spirit as per Ephesians 5:18. You can't walk by means of the Spirit when you are out of fellowship and in a state of carnality. If you will notice, both 1 John 1:9 and Ephesians 5:18 are spoken of in the context of walking. You cannot walk by means of the Spirit as per Galatians 5:16 when you are out of fellowship.

1 John 1:9 If we confess (name, cite, identify, acknowledge) our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Ephesians 5:18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,

Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17] For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.

So before you pray always make sure that you have simply named all your known sins to God. And when you do, God also forgives the unknown and forgotten sins, because they were all judged at the cross. Naming your sins does not imply feeling sorry for your sins. You might or might not feel sorry for your sins, but that is not the issue. Nor does it mean that you have to promise never to commit the sin again. You probably are going to commit the sin again. Simply acknowledge having committed it, and in grace God forgives it because of the fact that Jesus was already judged in your place for that sin. When you are in fellowship you are in a position to learn and apply the Word of God and walk in your spiritual life. But you must motivate yourself in these matters.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
All,

You are normal.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:00 AM

910 posts, read 1,338,200 times
Quote:
All,

You are not a lost soul. You have just started your way through the narrow path. Just as a way of detail: Have you been baptised of the Holy Spirit? You need to start from Baptism.

Concentrate on doing good to all men. Listen to that small voice inside you and keep to the path of righteousness. Your prayer life will kick on with time. Gradually, you will drop certain habits that do not glorify God.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:11 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
On way in knowing how to pray which Jesus accepts is from the scripture from........ Matthew 8: 5-10......``And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum , there came a centurion, beseeching him ...And saying Lord , my servant lays at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented.........And Jesus said to him `I will come and heal him .........``.. The centurion answered and said ..Lord I am not worthy that you should come under my roof, but speak the word only and my servant will be healed ... For I am a man under authority , having soldiers under me , and I say to this man .Go and He goes and to another Come and he comes , and to my servant , Do this , and he does it .............When Jesus heard it He marveled , and said to them that followed ``Very truly I say to you I have not found so great faith , no not in Israel .............and Jesus said to the centurion ``Go your way and as you has believed , so be it done to you ``............ See do you beg God which would be like praying `twinkle twinkle little star ` or useless ... Or do you Command Jesus what you need based on His Word ?

Old 05-04-2014, 03:18 PM

331 posts, read 547,782 times
The likely reason why you don't feel anything different, and why prayed-for occurrences seem to happen at the same rate as they would if you didn't pray for them, is that there's no omniscient being listening to your prayers.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:31 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
I'm not recommending 'formula prayers', but, a boring prayer life comes from focusing on US, rather than on God, who is never boring. (Pray these things in the order listed, with your own needs and concerns last). Try this occasionally:

THANK GOD: Thank God from your heart for 5-10 ways in which God has personally blessed you and your family.

PRAISE GOD: Praise God from your heart for 5-10 things that you genuinely praise Him for. Think about it (make a list if you must; don't simply use phrases you have heard in church. Claim some of God's promises for yourself!

CONFESS: Specifically name 5-10 areas of your life where you have strayed from life in relationship with God.

INTERCEDE: Pray for 5-10 other people; that they would experience God's blessings and promises in their lives; that difficulties and trials would be overcome; that they would find peace and joy in Jesus Christ.

PETITION: Talk with God about the problems and needs in your life .... not simply 'asking for stuff', but, actually talking about what is going on and seeking His counsel and guidance

A way to remember some of these other prayer dynamics is with the phrase: The Perfect Communication Is Prayer (Thanksgiving, Praise, Confession, Intercession, Petition).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity