Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This points up a common misunderstanding about inspiration (God-breathed). It ALWAYS occurs within our human consciousness. The question, obviously . . . is which of the products of human consciousness are the result of God's inspiration. Prior to Christ . . . this was a big problem because there was no reliable way to tell the difference. But after Christ's rebirth as Spirit (resurrection/ascension) . . . He abides with us within our consciousness as the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" under the New Covenant. We can test the Spirit of anything against the Comforter to determine if it is of God or not. We have the "mind of Christ" as our guide to what in the Bible is inspired and what is not. We can do the same with any purported inspirations from God. WWJT is our guide to what is relevant to our sanctification under His love. Anything that does not directly or indirectly affect our sanctification and spiritual development under Christ's love is irrelevant and unlikely to be inspired by God.
I'm tired of not being able to rep any of your posts so...

Old 05-05-2014, 12:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 835,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
I think the Christians who bag on Mormonism are funny, because the emergence of Christianity from Judaism, and the authoring of the Christian scriptures, are exactly like the emergence of Mormonism from Christianity and the authoring of the Mormon scriptures.

Major case of pot-kettle-black.
Really? I think most Mormons would disagree with you on that.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:39 PM

Let me post the Mormon verse I asked Katz about this morning.

1 Nephi 4:9 And I beheld his asword, and I drew it forth from the sheath thereof; and the hilt thereof was of gold, and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, and I saw that the blade thereof was of the most precious steel.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/4?lang=eng

This is supposed to be an event that occurred and was written about 600BC according to the Mormons. Do you see anything in that verse that seems a bit wrong?

Old 05-05-2014, 12:44 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Let me post the Mormon verse I asked Katz about this morning.

1 Nephi 4:9 And I beheld his asword, and I drew it forth from the sheath thereof; and the hilt thereof was of gold, and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, and I saw that the blade thereof was of the most precious steel.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/4?lang=eng

This is supposed to be an event that occurred and was written about 600BC according to the Mormons. Do you see anything in that verse that seems a bit wrong?
Steel did not exist.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-05-2014 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Steel did not exist.
So how could that be inspired of God?

Also the reason I asked for original or copies in the original language so we could see if it's an accurate translation into English from the original. I just want to be fair and honest in this.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,875,624 times
Quote:
Steel did not exist.
Exactly.

Ooopppps Mr. Joesph Smith.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
So how could that be inspired of God?

Also the reason I asked for original or copies in the original language so we could see if it's an accurate translation into English from the original. I just want to be fair and honest in this.
Are you intimating that God didn't know about steel?

Was his knowledge as limited as the people of the time period?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,434,996 times
KJV 2 Sam.22:35
35 He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

World Steel Association - About steel
<snippet>Since 200 BC, many cultures have produced steel in one form or another.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:04 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
KJV 2 Sam.22:35
35 He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.
World Steel Association - About steel
<snippet>Since 200 BC, many cultures have produced steel in one form or another.
Sorry Miss Blue . . . they only made wrought iron . . . not steel.

A Brief History of Iron and Steel Production by Professor Joseph S. Spoerl Saint Anselm College

The production of iron by humans began probably sometime after 2000 BCE in south-west or south-central Asia, perhaps in the Caucasus region. Thus began the Iron Age, when iron replaced bronze in implements and weapons. This shift occurred because iron, when alloyed with a bit of carbon, is harder, more durable, and holds a sharper edge than bronze. For over three thousand years, until replaced by steel after CE 1870, iron formed the material basis of human civilization in Europe, Asia, and Africa.
Smelting is the process by which iron is extracted from iron ore. When iron ore is heated in a charcoal fire, the iron ore begins to release some of its oxygen, which combines with carbon monoxide to form carbon dioxide. In this way, a spongy, porous mass of relatively pure iron is formed, intermixed with bits of charcoal and extraneous matter liberated from the ore, known as slag. (The separation of slag from the iron is facilitated by the addition of flux, that is, crushed seashells or limestone.) The formation of this bloom of iron was as far as the primitive blacksmith got: he would remove this pasty mass from the furnace and hammer it on an anvil to drive out the cinders and slag and to compact the metallic particles. This was wrought iron (“wrought” means “worked,” that is, hammered) and contained generally from .02 to .08 percent of carbon (absorbed from the charcoal), just enough to make the metal both tough and malleable. Wrought iron was the most commonly produced metal through most of the Iron Age.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Are you intimating that God didn't know about steel?

Was his knowledge as limited as the people of the time period?
No I am saying a man living 600BC would not write about steel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity