Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 01:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Only those who have found and are entering in and out the kingdom show forth good works.

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also

I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:12 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
No, you must have my post mixed up with another. I never posted what you said. My post, quoting Jesus, is below:

Your question is answered. Too bad you choose to ignore that. It looks like you're the one ignoring what Jesus taught.
Well, I researched and you are correct. I was quoting some else. My apologies.

However, you quote John and ignore Matthew. Why? Because one suits you better than the other? Because Matthew is wrong and Jesus did NOT say that He was sending people to unending punishment because they failed to do good works, and people to paradise because they did perform good works?

Are you saying there is contradiction in the New Testament, even the the Gospels, which are supposed to be the Word of God?

I still wonder why so many cling to the faith along argument. Is it because it allows some to take the easy way out, and not take responsibility for living a Christian life, as the early Christians demanded of eachother?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

I still wonder why so many cling to the faith along argument. Is it because it allows some to take the easy way out, and not take responsibility for living a Christian life, as the early Christians demanded of eachother?
Yes, plus hating to admit to being wrong.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:20 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Well, I researched and you are correct. I was quoting some else. My apologies.

However, you quote John and ignore Matthew. Why? Because one suits you better than the other? Because Matthew is wrong and Jesus did NOT say that He was sending people to unending punishment because they failed to do good works, and people to paradise because they did perform good works?

Are you saying there is contradiction in the New Testament, even the the Gospels, which are supposed to be the Word of God?

I'm not sure I understand your first paragraph. Are you saying that Jesus said that he was sending people to unending punishment if they failed to do good works?

Did you ever think the cross changed things? Forgiveness for example. Before the cross, Jesus said you must forgive to be forgiven. After the cross, the epistles say that we forgive BECAUSE we are forgiven. The purpose of the law was to show us the need of a savior. We cannot keep it.

I said it once and I'll say it again. I'm all for good works. However, it's not a condition of salvation. It's a fruit of salvation. You do good works because your saved, not to get saved.

If you disagree with that, then we part ways. Jesus work is a finished work.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:27 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Good works alone will not save us Jesus addresses this it's good works plus grace
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes
NO!!! Not being saved in the sense of being saved or delivered from the penalty of sin which by grace through faith alone in Christ Jesus.

Romans 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Our good works are like filthy rags....

Jesus didn't have to earn salvation.

If you are saved, you will serve in obedience to Him if you're able. There are people physically incapable of anything and they can accept the Lord and be saved but they can't serve. I'm feeling a twinge of legalism here....

Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Quote:

I said it once and I'll say it again. I'm all for good works. However, it's not a condition of salvation. It's a fruit of salvation. You do good works because your saved, not to get saved.

If you disagree with that, then we part ways. Jesus work is a finished work.
No, Jesus said;" All those who do good to the resurrection of life", this may not agree with Pauls teaching but it is the teaching the Father sent with Jesus.

You are correct that Jesus work was finished but He sent His followers to continue it. You choose to reject it.

Scripture says;"My chosen one's shall inherit my holy mountain, my servants shall dwell there."

Jesus said; "Worship God alone, Him alone shall you serve."

"If anyone would serve me he must follow me."

"Anyone who is not willing to take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

Old 05-20-2014, 10:52 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
No, Jesus said;" All those who do good to the resurrection of life", this may not agree with Pauls teaching but it is the teaching the Father sent with Jesus.

You are correct that Jesus work was finished but He sent His followers to continue it. You choose to reject it.

Scripture says;"My chosen one's shall inherit my holy mountain, my servants shall dwell there."

Jesus said; "Worship God alone, Him alone shall you serve."

"If anyone would serve me he must follow me."

"Anyone who is not willing to take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

Paul's teachings ARE Jesus' teachings since they were inspired by the Holy Spirit. You choose to ignore and reject the cross.

A finished work doesn't need anything added to it. That you think you can do anything to earn salvation is the height of pride and arrogance.

Repent! And here we part ways. I pray that someday you know the Truth.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:34 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
That is a completely ignorant understanding of God's Word. Is it not ourselves that earn that salvation. But JESUS Christ DID earn it BY HIS WORKS!!!! Wake up people! Jesus CHRIST EARNED SALVATION! Read that again. JESUS EARNED SALVATION!!!!! They are HIS WORKS!!!. He owns them. They are NOT ours. They are His.. We are saved by His EARNED WORKS!!!!!

He overcame sin by His works. If we have Chist, HIS works will overcome out fleshy nature and save us by putting down sin in our own flesh.
trettep has it right. It's good works done in the name of Jesus and by the will of God + belief in Him as Savior that saves a man .

The ironic thing is that the one verse that started all this false theology about saved by faith alone was not even written by Paul:
Quote:
"For by grace are you saved through faith...not of works..."

are not even Paul's words. They are from Ephesians, a pseudepigraphical epistle that all scholars recognize as a forgery.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
So you're ignoring 3/4 of the NT. Hebrews said He took away the first (law) and implemented the second (grace). But of course you have to ignore that too. And since you only consider what Jesus said, consider this:

John 6:28-29:
28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?" 29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Works flow out of salvation. Not the other way around. And then you have that pesky John 3:16 verse...

Probably one of the most ridiculous things I've read here, which is saying a lot. Since Jesus said the thief would be Him, where did Jesus go?

Your argument eliminates the need for the cross. I don't understand why people think they are still living under the OT.

If you look at Romans and Galatians, then.....oh, wait. We have to ignore that since they say that we are under grace and not the law.

Forget Paul the heretic, for a second, and look at Jesus' words. All through the gospels He says "works" 100 times for every time He says "faith" in Him. In fact, He never says "believe on Me" until the last gospel.

Read the parable of the talents and then tell me that was solely about salvation by grace through faith alone. In fact it was all about putting to work to talents (abilities) God had given to each of the servants; putting them to use (actions) to show their Master a return (profit--works) on His investment in them.

Pure works. No faith involved at all.

Get real. Get with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity