Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 08:09 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,931,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Okay I wll try to deciipher your questions.How exactly have you pointed out I was factually wrong? Did you use YOUR interpretation of the Bible words "written in ink?" Not everything in the Bible is fact or truth, period . . . only that which is compatible with Christ and agape love.
At this point I am not even referring to the Bible, I am talking about your behavior on here. On another thread, you interjected into a dialogue I had with Pleroo when I talked about her not being a Christian. You assumed that I assumed that of her, but you did not know that earlier in the thread that I had point blank asked her if she was a Christian and she point blank said she was not.

Why is this important? Because you are claiming to be influenced by the "Spirit of Agape", but you clear as day falsely accused me of being judgmental (if you have a hard time remembering this I can bring out the proof if needed). If you are truly influenced by that spirit then it's either the spirit allows you to make human error or you believe in something that doesn't exist. The point is, if you are influenced by this spirit then why would it allow you falsely accuse someone of something? If it allows you to have human error, then that opens the door for anyone who makes a mistake to still say they are influenced by this spirit and that their mistake has nothing to do with them being influenced?

Does that not make sense to you? You still aren't really addressing the point here. You deflected onto a point saying you don't believe in religion but that has nothing to do with what I am asking you. The question is clear: can you still make mistakes and still be influenced by this agape spirit, yes or no?

Quote:
NO . . . it contradicts what Christ lived, taught and died for. There is so much anti-Christ error in the mainstream Christian dogma and doctrine that the original Gospel is unrecognizable!
Depends on your answer to the previous question.

Quote:
I don't believe in any religion. I believe in Christ and His Father as HE unambiguously revealed Him to be.
Not relevant to what I am asking. I didn't ask you if you believe in religion. You are avoiding this question and for a reason. Why, I don't know.

Quote:
Huh??? No Christian contradicts agape love . . . because that is who God IS.
Again depends on your answer to the first question.

Quote:
Agape love ("love for God and each other") IS the standard and Christ epitomizes it. It is a clear standard and everyone in their heart of hearts KNOWS what is agape loving and what is NOT. They have to override what is in their hearts to impose the "precepts and doctrines of men" they have been indoctrinated with. We ALL know how to be kind, compassionate, loving etc. . . . EVERYTHING in 1 Cor 13, Galations 5 and the Sermon on the Mount. There is no mystery and no need to fabricate jargon and nonsense to pretend evil and "non-agape-love" is good because God supposedly ordered it or did it according to our ignorant ancient ancestors.
At this point we are trying to define what agape love is. You say you have it, but yet you again have displayed behavior on here that would be contrary to that.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,603,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
When I first started reading the Bible, I was convicted of the sin in my own life. So I don't blame others for discarding The Word of God/Bible in favor of more tepid versions of Christianity. It can be very intimidating to embark on a deeper relationship with the Lord because it requires you to change once you realize there is a standard of living.

As more people do this, the church is less of an influence. It loses it's saltiness and becomes watered down. The church has been "secularized" at this point. People who believe in the Word of God are marginalized. Right is wrong, and wrong is right.

So not only are we becoming less moral, but we are attacking the very standard of morality. The Word of God.
This is a very good post!

We live in very dark times.. The Word has been compromised so we can adhere to "Christianity" in a way that suits us. Wow how we can be self deceived.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:59 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,045,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
This is a very good post!

We live in very dark times.. The Word has been compromised so we can adhere to "Christianity" in a way that suits us. Wow how we can be self deceived.
Dark times indeed: Lifespans have increased greatly in only a hundred years. Many diseases which wiped out millions have been either eradicated or can now be cured. There are fewer wars than any previous time in recorded history. Women and minorities actually have rights! Lakes in my country, bereft of life because of acid rain in the 60s and 70s, now teem with it. We have the technology to communicate instantaneously with anyone anywhere on the planet, to virtually visit museums and browse libraries without leaving our home. And that technology is available, and affordable, to most of the people in the world.

Dark times, indeed.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,518,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
When I first started reading the Bible, I was convicted of the sin in my own life. So I don't blame others for discarding The Word of God/Bible in favor of more tepid versions of Christianity. It can be very intimidating to embark on a deeper relationship with the Lord because it requires you to change once you realize there is a standard of living.

As more people do this, the church is less of an influence. It loses it's saltiness and becomes watered down. The church has been "secularized" at this point. People who believe in the Word of God are marginalized. Right is wrong, and wrong is right.

So not only are we becoming less moral, but we are attacking the very standard of morality. The Word of God.
Daylux, you nailed it! I read in a survey the #3 most given reason people give for not reading the Bible is that "I might have to change."

You simply would not believe the hundreds of people who've come to our church, from all walks of life and past teachings that say how grateful it is to find a church that still uses the Bible. There is a definite need, want and thirst for the Word of God.

Too many churches, in their quest to be balanced have swung into a smooth, slick, sophisticated entertainment social hour.

I think it stems from our loss of fearing God. He's been turned into some guy who you'd play a round of golf with, go out for a few drinks, then forget about. He's been turned into a one-dimensional Care Bear stuffed toy for our pleasure. When I read the countless threads and posts saying there is no way God could do something that they would not approve of, I'm often at a loss for words.

Keep the faith Daylux.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:21 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,126,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
Daylux, you nailed it! I read in a survey the #3 most given reason people give for not reading the Bible is that "I might have to change."

You simply would not believe the hundreds of people who've come to our church, from all walks of life and past teachings that say how grateful it is to find a church that still uses the Bible. There is a definite need, want and thirst for the Word of God.

Too many churches, in their quest to be balanced have swung into a smooth, slick, sophisticated entertainment social hour.

I think it stems from our loss of fearing God. He's been turned into some guy who you'd play a round of golf with, go out for a few drinks, then forget about. He's been turned into a one-dimensional Care Bear stuffed toy for our pleasure. When I read the countless threads and posts saying there is no way God could do something that they would not approve of, I'm often at a loss for words.

Keep the faith Daylux.
Do you have a link to the survey?. What was # 1 & 2.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,278,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I'm honestly not trying to provoke you. I am just pointing out why I believe this conversation has become fruitless.
And that is what many want.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:44 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,278,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Dark times indeed: Lifespans have increased greatly in only a hundred years. Many diseases which wiped out millions have been either eradicated or can now be cured. There are fewer wars than any previous time in recorded history. Women and minorities actually have rights! Lakes in my country, bereft of life because of acid rain in the 60s and 70s, now teem with it. We have the technology to communicate instantaneously with anyone anywhere on the planet, to virtually visit museums and browse libraries without leaving our home. And that technology is available, and affordable, to most of the people in the world.

Dark times, indeed.

Lets see in Moses day normal lifespan was 70 to 80 years and they did not have the medical aid we do.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 AM

76,978 posts, read 47,311,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
You have certain posters like MysticPhd and DewDropInn, who avoid questions they do not like but then come back and cherrypick what they will respond to and expect you to respond to them in the same manner that they do not respond to you. I will give denverian a lot of credit. Even though we do not agree on some fundamental things, he/she has been gracious enough to at least continue a civil dialogue. That is what I thought forums were for. You don't really learn anything from each other, if you have people with the attitudes of MysticPhd and DewDropInn. It seems like their sole purpose on here is just to win an argument.

How can we have a real discussion about this topic without asking some hard heading questions about what they believe? I think it's impossible to have a real discussion about this topic no matter how much we disagree if people aren't willing to dialogue.
Practically every thread on this board is sidetracked by universalist posters into the same old "bible is nonsense" arguments, and I can see that happening here too.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-31-2014 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Lets see in Moses day normal lifespan was 70 to 80 years and they did not have the medical aid we do.
"Normal" is not average, but about what one could expect barring conditions that would cut it short. I don't know the figures now, but I'd bet a reasonable expectation under the same conditions would be about 90. Medical advances as well as nutrition and other such factors are part of the difference. I don't think hard figures are available for average in Moses' time, but I'd be surprised at 30 years.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:54 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,045,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nonsense.

In ancient Rome, the average lifespan was 35 years. Most people never knew their grandparents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity