Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Uh, what makes you think I was talking about the 10 commandments or the balance of the Old Law?

I wasn't. It is real love VS just being good or bad. There are good atheists, but so what, they do not have God's love.
According to what was recorded of Jesus' words at the end of Matthew 5 they do.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: The "pets in obedience training" view of our relationship to God is such a strong stumbling block to understanding God and Jesus. It is not who is obedient . . . because obedience can be done in fear of retribution without regard to what is in your heart. It is an agape loving heart that God wants in His children (not pets) as they mature spiritually. Christ instructed us to "love God and each other". . . NOT follow a bunch of rules because you cannot sin if you follow agape love. It covers far more things than the ten commandments or the 613 mitzvot. It impacts every single interaction with others. The overarching Spirit of God is agape love and that is what we are to strive for daily and repent when we don't, period. THAT is the Gospel of Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Uh, what makes you think I was talking about the 10 commandments or the balance of the Old Law?
I wasn't. It is real love VS just being good or bad. There are good atheists, but so what, they do not have God's love.
This is preposterous. ANYONE who loves others as themselves is "born of God" because that is agape love and God IS agape love. Anyone who does not love others as themselves does NOT know God. There are no end-arounds using so-called "correct" belief systems, rituals or anything else. The test is simple . . . if you do NOT ever have agape love . . . you are NOT "born of God" and do not know God, period.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:17 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
This is preposterous. ANYONE who loves others as themselves is "born of God" because that is agape love and God IS agape love. Anyone who does not love others as themselves does NOT know God. There are no end-arounds using so-called "correct" belief systems, rituals or anything else. The test is simple . . . if you do NOT ever have agape love . . . you are NOT "born of God" and do not know God, period.
I praise God that He is no where near as judgemental as you are. You speak in absolutes and as you should very well know, there are no absolutes in the lives of the sons and daughters of Adam. AS much as I try to. I'm far off loving all people or any people for that matter, in anything close to the perfect love that God has for us.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I praise God that He is no where near as judgemental as you are. You speak in absolutes and as you should very well know, there are no absolutes in the lives of the sons and daughters of Adam. AS much as I try to. I'm far off loving all people or any people for that matter, in anything close to the perfect love that God has for us.
It has nothing to do with achieving perfect agape love. Whatever level we are able to muster and guide our lives and interactions with is sufficient to be "born of God" (meaning conceived from above) . . . but we are to develop it and mature as much as we can throughout our lives. Fortunately we have the ability to repent whenever we fail and gain the cover of Christ's perfection.
Edit to add: BTW Why do so many of you assume I am judging you??? I am only witnessing to my understanding of the importance of agape love as informed by the "mind of Christ" and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) guiding me to the truth God has "written in our hearts." Since God IS agape love . . . we as His children are supposed to develop it as much as possible as we mature.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Its really no different than Rome and other advanced society. From what I have seen tho it varies as to degree by region and even local population culture. much as crime can be high and 40 miles away low.i use to live in a city of 100K several time over my 66 years. It got worse and worse as it got more ghetto nearby. I moved and now where I live is more like the early 60's culturally. When I was in high school. Not sure now you stop cultural erosion that has taken places in so many places; mostly people as I did move away from it.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with achieving perfect agape love. Whatever level we are able to muster and guide our lives and interactions with is sufficient to be "born of God" (meaning conceived from above) . . . but we are to develop it and mature as much as we can throughout our lives. Fortunately we have the ability to repent whenever we fail and gain the cover of Christ's perfection.
Edit to add: BTW Why do so many of you assume I am judging you??? I am only witnessing to my understanding of the importance of agape love as informed by the "mind of Christ" and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) guiding me to the truth God has "written in our hearts." Since God IS agape love . . . we as His children are supposed to develop it as much as possible as we mature.
This post explains your position much much better then the post I commented on.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
if you want proof of America's moral collapse (though other countries are also guilty).. just look at the recent politics going on - the V.A. Scandals, the Benghazi scandals, now this president has totally done something totally horrible by letting that one soldier go in exchange for those 5 terrible killers.. Now, I dont want to get into a discussion about that here, however, it seems that this administration is turning up one scandal after another. it involves many people. That is just about as bad, however, there are people (voters and those in the Senate) who will stick up for this corruption and find some reason that they truly believe this president is next to a saint.

based on that, already we see morals collapsing. If the people who are in charge of these things had integrity and morals, a lot of this would not have happened. I'm not going to get into a discussion about whos right and whos wrong, but never would this have been allowed many years ago.

Already its starting to crumble. has been for many years. you dont believe it? just look around. at the corruption, - AND THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE IT AND TOLERATE IT AND DEFEND IT.

I do not know if this is in God's plan somehow, I have many thoughts about this, but what would Jesus do?

In His time on earth, there were the evil Romans who were so corrupt, they killed the citizens just because they wanted to. they crucified victims along the road and displayed them. so far America has not come to that. Jesus did not seem to deal with the powers that be, except to say that his kingdom was not of this world. so he seemed never to let the corrupt government bother him. I hope to find meaning in all this trash that is going on with scandals popping up every week/ every day just about.

I dont know whats going on with God's plan for this world. i really dont know what else can happen. the minute i think its bad enough, the next thing pops in to the news. sheesh.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
According to what was recorded of Jesus' words at the end of Matthew 5 they do.
Yes in that he makes it sunny and rainy etc. Not salvation. Context.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
The discussion is about "good" VS "bad".

Atheists do not have God's love in them or they would praise Him.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post

I dont know whats going on with God's plan for this world. i really dont know what else can happen. the minute i think its bad enough, the next thing pops in to the news. sheesh.
KJV 2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

It is going just as God said it would and is getting close to when he will end it. While what we see is disturbing it should also be reassuring.

KJV Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity