Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:23 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Unremarkable - your viewpoint...
Hrm, gotta say I agree with him. Perhaps our perch of sitting above "murica" gives us a view that you can't quite see, or refuse to see.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It's the ONLY way to get UPstream
Thanks, friend. I needed that.

It's like finding an eddy to rest for a spell.

(Too soon etc.)

Old 05-24-2014, 04:32 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,159 times
- Jesus said, "Lawlessness Will Abound" - Matt.24:12

He didn't say it would be the fault of God's people that Lawlessness Will Abound.
Not did He did say that God's people could stop Lawlessness From Abounding.

So don't listen to the clambering of Pastoral guilt trip band wagons to take you onto every battlefield of the world.

Listen to shepherds leading you to Pastures instead. For entering His Peace.

Jesus said, 'The meek shall inherit the earth.' Not conquer it.

- Prophecy prevails Politics comply.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post

He didn't say it would be the fault of God's people that Lawlessness Will Abound.

So don't listen to the clambering of Pastoral guilt trip band wagons to take you onto every battlefield of the world.

It abounds in those who profess to believe when they give attention to it, whether that be in themselves or others.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:05 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Amazing how one compilation of books (albeit in various editions) can inspire such inane and bizarre beliefs in some people.

But that's just me - swimming against the current.

Actually your are swimming with the current, when you include all of humanity.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:19 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Usually this is mentioned when the homosexual agenda advances in our culture... however is not not mentioned when the rich get away with breaking the law, or when the government let's crime slide without punishment to certain people.

But on occasion someone will remark about the moral decline and corruption of the country.

Here's my question. Will we know when God has had enough? And what will those signs be?

I remember when Hurricane Katrina was occurring - some would suggest God's punishment - people said they were crazy.

California has had numerous wildfires in their state - but to suggest it to be because of God's punishment would be insensitive to many.

You can even go back to 9/11 and the WTC - would anyone consider that as punishment from God?

How about the economy? Many people out of work... the government mismanages the money it gets and has the country in extreme debt... higher prices for necessities...

Deuteronomy 28 lists a bunch of curses that would occur if Israel did not follow the Lord. I know we are not Israel - but it would seem foolish to think that some of those predictions would not happen here upon us not following the Lord. And if the Lord did act, there are plenty of worldly excuses to overlook God's hand - global warming, the world hates us so they attacked, it's the Republicans fault or the Dems, etc.

I understand that the world won't understand - but will Christians see God's hand in these events? OR is it God removing His protection from us so that we self destruct on our own? OR do we simply echo the world's reasoning?
As a person who survived the attacks on the World Trade Center, no, I don't see that as a punishment from God. It was purely an act of humanity. It's a human trait to form an "us against them" mentality. Ironically, that day a perception of one group of people about another group of people culminated in an attack against a place where people of many faiths, backgrounds, and races got along and worked side by side in harmony. After that day, people of many faiths, backgrounds, and races worked side by side in harmony in response to what had happened.

Out of the horror of that day came heroism, charity, kindness, love.

As with other examples you gave, great and wonderful things often come out of the horror of man's inhumanity to his own species. So the question might be raised--could that also be the hand of God? That God shows his love through people as a response to the terrible things that occur.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Hrm, gotta say I agree with him. Perhaps our perch of sitting above "murica" gives us a view that you can't quite see, or refuse to see.
Do you know me? ..and where I sit? ...and where I have sat in the past?

Old 05-24-2014, 02:22 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Usually this is mentioned when the homosexual agenda advances in our culture... however is not not mentioned when the rich get away with breaking the law, or when the government let's crime slide without punishment to certain people.

But on occasion someone will remark about the moral decline and corruption of the country.

Here's my question. Will we know when God has had enough? And what will those signs be?

I remember when Hurricane Katrina was occurring - some would suggest God's punishment - people said they were crazy.

California has had numerous wildfires in their state - but to suggest it to be because of God's punishment would be insensitive to many.

You can even go back to 9/11 and the WTC - would anyone consider that as punishment from God?

How about the economy? Many people out of work... the government mismanages the money it gets and has the country in extreme debt... higher prices for necessities...

Deuteronomy 28 lists a bunch of curses that would occur if Israel did not follow the Lord. I know we are not Israel - but it would seem foolish to think that some of those predictions would not happen here upon us not following the Lord. And if the Lord did act, there are plenty of worldly excuses to overlook God's hand - global warming, the world hates us so they attacked, it's the Republicans fault or the Dems, etc.

I understand that the world won't understand - but will Christians see God's hand in these events? OR is it God removing His protection from us so that we self destruct on our own? OR do we simply echo the world's reasoning?
As a person who survived the attacks on the World Trade Center, no, I don't see that as a punishment from God. It was purely an act of humanity. It's a human trait to form and "us against them" mentality. Ironically, that day a perception of one group of people about another group of people culminated in an attack against a place where people of many faiths, backgrounds, and races got along and worked side by side in harmony.

As with other examples you gave, great and wonderful things often come out of the horror of man's inhumanity to his own species. So the question might be raised--is that also evidence of the hand of God? That God shows his love through people as a response to the terrible things that occur?

Old 05-24-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As a person who survived the attacks on the World Trade Center, no, I don't see that as a punishment from God. It was purely an act of humanity. It's a human trait to form an "us against them" mentality. Ironically, that day a perception of one group of people about another group of people culminated in an attack against a place where people of many faiths, backgrounds, and races got along and worked side by side in harmony. After that day, people of many faiths, backgrounds, and races worked side by side in harmony in response to what had happened.

As with other examples you gave, great and wonderful things often come out of the horror of man's inhumanity to his own species. So the question might be raised--could that also be the hand of God? That God shows his love through people as a response to the terrible things that occur.
Wasn't aware that you are a survivor from that... sorry you had to endure that, but glad you lived got thru.

Part of God's judgment to His people, Israel, was that they were attacked by other nations. Their captivity and ruin in the latter parts of the Old Testament was by another nation - and was a judgment from God.

My initial inquiry was if anyone would see instances such as those as a hint from God that he does not like the direction with which we are heading. Your answer is no. OK.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:57 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post

Dear writer,
Your response brings several verses to mind.

Isaiah 56:11,"and they are shepherds who have no understanding; they have all turned to their own way, each one to his unjust gain, to the last one."

Zechariah 11:7,"So I took the flock doomed to slaughter, ...I took for myself two staffs;the one I called Favor, and the other I called Union; so I pastured the flock."

Of course the staff "Favor" (Ze 11:10), is the church's beloved apostle Paul, and the staff "Union"is the church's beloved Peter, and the church itself is the "flock doomed to slaughter".

As for the church and "Lawlessness", it is built on Lawlessness. Romans 7:6, "But now we have been released from the Law," A parallel version would be messiah Obama, who now rules by way of a voice in his ear (Valerie Jarrett), and the written constitution is mute, and he now rules with pen and phone. Of course, many votes for our present day messiah came from church members, who of course, blame the devil, Bush, for the evil in their heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity