Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:07 PM

88,581 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Wasn't aware that you are a survivor from that... sorry you had to endure that, but glad you lived got thru.
Thank you. From a personal viewpoint, I see my survival as meant to be and a reminder to continue to find out what I should be doing as long as I'm still here.

Quote:
Part of God's judgment to His people, Israel, was that they were attacked by other nations. Their captivity and ruin in the latter parts of the Old Testament was by another nation - and was a judgment from God.
We've been studying Jeremiah in the group to which I belong. I wonder if such a prophet arose now and here whether anyone would listen to him or her. Sometimes I think we have too many people who appoint themselves prophets, and any true voice could get lost in a cacophony of self-righteousness.

Quote:
My initial inquiry was if anyone would see instances such as those as a hint from God that he does not like the direction with which we are heading. Your answer is no. OK.
Yes, I understand what the question was. It's one of the better thread topics on the forum right now, IMO, of course. A rep point for you.

And correct, my answer is no. God doesn't hint. We already know what direction we're each heading in and which we should be heading in, and it's up to each of us to choose how we will react when things like tornadoes and terrorism come our way. I believe God puts each of us where we are for his own reasons. I don't believe he looks down at "our nation" as a collective blob that gets a whack whenever we cross a certain point on the Sin-O-Meter.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:05 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
I agree that one judgment could be an abandonment judgment of sorts.. abandoning us over to the lusts of the flesh described in Romans 1..

another is the lack of concern of the Word of God. Never before have we had His Word more readily available, but how many are actually reading it and applying it to their lives?

Wicked rulers over the people could be one example of God's judgment. Natural disasters could be another. Invading nations could be yet another.

All of these things have good potential to happen. This nation is in big trouble.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think America's moral collapse began in earnest with the rise of religious fundamentalism and televangelism - somewhere around the late 70s, early-ish 80s.

That spawned the advent of the Religious Right/Tea Party/Fox News/Sarah Palin and that was all she wrote - morality spiraled downhill.

Darn shame. The world used to look up to America.

Agreed. ^^^^^

Old 05-24-2014, 10:49 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
yup

Old 05-25-2014, 04:07 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as His divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with justice and it seems that I can hear God saying to America, 'You are too arrogant. If you don't change your ways I will rise up and break the back bone of your power.'"
- Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. (circa 1967)

T.
Well Martin Luther King Jr was right.

Examples of this is the Vietnam war. America did not win the Vietnam war. Vietnam the rest of Indochina were third world countries and no matter how many bombs or troops by the US had they could not defeat their enemy.

It like today and recently with Iraq and Afganistan. The terrorist groups the US were fighting against could not be defeated no matter how many bombs or the troops the US uses.

Yet I remember just prior to the start of the Iraq war most people that called themselves Christian in the US supported George W Bush decision to invade Iraq.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKJOwTWNOhw

Last edited by other99; 05-25-2014 at 04:15 AM..

Old 05-25-2014, 06:04 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you. From a personal viewpoint, I see my survival as meant to be and a reminder to continue to find out what I should be doing as long as I'm still here.

We've been studying Jeremiah in the group to which I belong. I wonder if such a prophet arose now and here whether anyone would listen to him or her. Sometimes I think we have too many people who appoint themselves prophets, and any true voice could get lost in a cacophony of self-righteousness.

Yes, I understand what the question was. It's one of the better thread topics on the forum right now, IMO, of course. A rep point for you.

And correct, my answer is no. God doesn't hint. We already know what direction we're each heading in and which we should be heading in, and it's up to each of us to choose how we will react when things like tornadoes and terrorism come our way. I believe God puts each of us where we are for his own reasons. I don't believe he looks down at "our nation" as a collective blob that gets a whack whenever we cross a certain point on the Sin-O-Meter.
MQ - thanks for the rep.

Regarding the blue above... I have wondered about that in the past. How would the mainstream respond to someone sent by God (not self-appointed) to warn them. My guess is that they ask that person their views on gay marriage, and then marginalize them as a homophobe. Or ask them about abortion and label that person as anti-women.

I also think if someone fills that role, they will not be self-appointed. God would make the country aware of this person.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:30 AM

546 posts, read 547,253 times
Quote:
MQ - thanks for the rep.

Regarding the blue above... I have wondered about that in the past. How would the mainstream respond to someone sent by God (not self-appointed) to warn them. My guess is that they ask that person their views on gay marriage, and then marginalize them as a homophobe. Or ask them about abortion and label that person as anti-women.

I also think if someone fills that role, they will not be self-appointed. God would make the country aware of this person.
Remembering the end of one of Jesus' parables, God said, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." People are generally blockheads, and are persuaded in many different ways, and a lack of information and understanding often heads the list of reasons why.

I try to look at things from a perspective that God gives in the Bible. God said, "And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever." He also said in Daniel 7, "I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed."

Without getting into detail, lest I be writing all day and cause a lot of debate off subject, the Kingdoms of this world are going to pass, and be replaced by the Kingdom of God. We sometimes fail to consider that there are 3 'church' ages. The one under the law of Moses, (from Moses to Jesus), the present time, (from Jesus' first coming to His Second coming), and the third church age of the Millennium. The second church age that we are presently under is only a forerunner of what is coming, and doesn't have the Godly power to complete the things necessary for bringing in the new Kingdom. The Kingdoms of this world are undergoing the necessary changes that are required to bring about the Kingdom of God. Believers have the Kingdom of God in their hearts, at present, but there is a greater manifestation of this Kingdom that will be overcoming the world, and part of that overcoming has to be done by convincing the people of the world that the present system is progressively getting more and more evil, and by exposing the contrast between good and evil, people that are not cognizant of evil will become more aware of it.

The nations of the world are basically interested in themselves, and the belief that any of them are acting in the interest of mankind is a delusion at best. They ALL have an agenda, and follow it. These are not Godly agendas, yet they color them to make them look moral. This includes the USA. Is God judging nations? I don't believe that God is someone in Heaven that is pronouncing direct judgments upon us, as if He were surprised and trying to convict criminals. No...I think that man's actions are already judged by former pronouncements of God. God said, "Don't do 'this', or it will cause 'this' to happen". An example would be; "Don't jump off of a 700 ft. high bridge, because you will probably die."

In today's governments, elite money controllers, and corporate greed, (to mention a few), we are witnessing the results of greed and agendas. God said that Mystery Babylon would be falling. I believe that this Mystery Babylon is the present day reality of the Babylon of old, (and is the tail end of the statue in Nebuchadnezzar's dream.), except that it has been tagged with the adjective "Mystery", because it can't be well defined. But that doesn't mean that it isn't evident and able to be described to a certain amount. One of the basic traits of Mystery Babylon is that she will sell herself for money. That basically describes what is going on today. The old Biblical verse comes true here, "The love of money is the root of all evil".

All of us have to realize that the glory of the United States of America has been tarnished by this effect, and she is dying a slow death. Not from direct condemnation by God, but as a result of consequences. It's people have been lazy in watching out for their own liberties, and have allowed men to come in, not to do the people's bidding, but to govern the people. This was NOT the original intent of the setting up of the government. And it is also to take into consideration the plan of God in destroying the kingdoms of this world that will not submit to the order of a Godly and moral world. We just happen to be living in the time when these things are taking place.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Interesting question, but scripturally there won't be. The last prophets were in the 1st century. If they won't listen to Jesus now, they won't listen to anyone. All Nations are doomed to destruction by God's express will and by His Son at the final war.

The nations exist now for a variety of reasons and one of the main ones is sow e cans ee that man is incapable of ruling himself. We NEED Christ rule, not man's, which originated with Adam and Eve

Remember the first rule over the earth was Theocratic or God's rule.

The next was Democratic as Adam and Eve chose their own rules.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
MQ - thanks for the rep.

I guess they'd respond like the people did in jeremiah's day or like the pharisee/Saducees did in the gospels. it's amazing how time changes but sinful Man is still the same.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
Remembering the end of one of Jesus' parables, God said, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." People are generally blockheads, and are persuaded in many different ways, and a lack of information and understanding often heads the list of reasons why.

I try to look at things from a perspective that God gives in the Bible. God said, "And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever." He also said in Daniel 7, "I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed."

Without getting into detail, lest I be writing all day and cause a lot of debate off subject, the Kingdoms of this world are going to pass, and be replaced by the Kingdom of God. We sometimes fail to consider that there are 3 'church' ages. The one under the law of Moses, (from Moses to Jesus), the present time, (from Jesus' first coming to His Second coming), and the third church age of the Millennium. The second church age that we are presently under is only a forerunner of what is coming, and doesn't have the Godly power to complete the things necessary for bringing in the new Kingdom. The Kingdoms of this world are undergoing the necessary changes that are required to bring about the Kingdom of God. Believers have the Kingdom of God in their hearts, at present, but there is a greater manifestation of this Kingdom that will be overcoming the world, and part of that overcoming has to be done by convincing the people of the world that the present system is progressively getting more and more evil, and by exposing the contrast between good and evil, people that are not cognizant of evil will become more aware of it.

The nations of the world are basically interested in themselves, and the belief that any of them are acting in the interest of mankind is a delusion at best. They ALL have an agenda, and follow it. These are not Godly agendas, yet they color them to make them look moral. This includes the USA. Is God judging nations? I don't believe that God is someone in Heaven that is pronouncing direct judgments upon us, as if He were surprised and trying to convict criminals. No...I think that man's actions are already judged by former pronouncements of God. God said, "Don't do 'this', or it will cause 'this' to happen". An example would be; "Don't jump off of a 700 ft. high bridge, because you will probably die."

In today's governments, elite money controllers, and corporate greed, (to mention a few), we are witnessing the results of greed and agendas. God said that Mystery Babylon would be falling. I believe that this Mystery Babylon is the present day reality of the Babylon of old, (and is the tail end of the statue in Nebuchadnezzar's dream.), except that it has been tagged with the adjective "Mystery", because it can't be well defined. But that doesn't mean that it isn't evident and able to be described to a certain amount. One of the basic traits of Mystery Babylon is that she will sell herself for money. That basically describes what is going on today. The old Biblical verse comes true here, "The love of money is the root of all evil".

All of us have to realize that the glory of the United States of America has been tarnished by this effect, and she is dying a slow death. Not from direct condemnation by God, but as a result of consequences. It's people have been lazy in watching out for their own liberties, and have allowed men to come in, not to do the people's bidding, but to govern the people. This was NOT the original intent of the setting up of the government. And it is also to take into consideration the plan of God in destroying the kingdoms of this world that will not submit to the order of a Godly and moral world. We just happen to be living in the time when these things are taking place.
Wow, awesome post trumpethim! You really know what is going on.

Because of the greed of the elite, and the general apathy of the population, we are going to destroy ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity