U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 PM

8,581 posts, read 8,877,456 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear from other Christians, your thoughts or opinions of him, I am impressed with his knowledge of the Bible, and always intriged by his view of current and future events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,621,352 times
Don't like him, his wife, or his phony ministry. Ever hear his announcer? Sounds like he's introducing and new movie very fake. Brother, don't be to impressed anyone can read a teleprompter.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,238,556 times
I happen to enjoy watching JVI. Call me what you will but I like him

Old 12-13-2007, 12:21 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,602,426 times
Many years ago he and his wife Rexella came to Anchorage, so I went to hear him. I didn't think he was "phony". Seems I recall somebody saying he has memorized over 5,000 scriptures (something like that), so people were calling him "the walking Bible". Whenever I see him preaching on TV, he is always quoting the Bible...like hardly a minute goes by and he is saying "the Bible says this, the Bible says that...". I don't think a charlatan would bother with that level of memorization. I like him.

Bud

Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,749,062 times
He is like most televangelist who sell God. I have this very important cd or book that you have to have if you want to understand God and the end times,it is absolutely crucial to your walk with God and your understanding of scriptures. It can be yours,all you have to do is send in 25.00 bucks and I will get it right out. I believe all you need is the bible and a tender heart for God. If what they have is so important to you and your salvation or understanding of God then how can they sell it? God is not for sale and neither is his truth. I know.. I know..that is how they buy tv time blah blah blah. I have never seen a poor televangelist.They are all the same send in your money,send in your money,go to your phone right now,don`t wait,don`t put it off. They should save some of that money and not have an elaborate set, and a special announcer. Jesus didn`t go around selling his parables and his special knowledge. He wasn`t selling prayer clothes and oil. He didn`t say for a limited time I`m putting all of my parables in a special leather bound binder with color codes and this money is going to help me get a donkey so I can travel better and get the word out and reach souls.Obviously I`m being sarcastic but televangelist really strike a nerve with me. What...you couldn`t tell? I`m not saying Van Impe isn`t sincere in what he believes but I think he is like a lot of those tv guys. They start out with good intentions but then the money and fame start rolling in. Rich man,camel, eye of a needle ring a bell? He has made predictions in the past about God`s return..I think it was in the 80`s. Obviously it didn`t come true,so what did that make him..a false prophet? we know what God said about false prophets. I remember y2k and how he thought this was going to be devasting,he said he felt it from the Holy Spirit. don`t be deceived by someone just because they have a bible in their hand, remember the pharisees of Jesus`s day? If someone is making a prediction and they are telling you they are hearing from the holy Spirit and it doesn`t come true...run!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:44 AM

2,408 posts, read 9,626,983 times
Van Impe lost a lot of credibility when he predicted Jesus' second coming (parousia) around the time of the millennium, and then changed his predictions when the second coming didn't happen according to his schedule.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 AM

14,837 posts, read 19,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Would like to hear from other Christians, your thoughts or opinions of him, I am impressed with his knowledge of the Bible, and always intriged by his view of current and future events.
I think the dude is a total nut, but a totally lovable nut. His interpretation of Biblical prophecy is way off base.

But I can't help but be charmed by his enthusiasm, and I've never detected a malicious bone in the man's body. I wouldn't believe anything he says, but he's still a fun way to pass a half hour once in a while.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 AM

919 posts, read 2,847,142 times
good lord, this man is scarier than any harry potter movie or such I ever read or experieced...if he is right here, gosh...I do not even know what to say, hell on earth maybe?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,062,113 times
The man doesn't impress me in the least. In fact, he and his wife are simply irritating. But, that may not say much, as I am not overly impressed with most tv evangelists. They generally make me grind my teeth, some more than others. JVI and wife spend so much time on talking about end-times, and putting their own spin on the news, that it seems like they don't give much thought to the here and now. The only one worth his salt is Billy Graham, and he doesn't even preach anymore. The only other one I can handle listening to, (for a few moments, at least. That's about my limit), is that younger guy, what's his name, Joel Osteen? Although, I know many folks don't like him, because they think he preaches too much of a feel-good sort of thing. But, since I'm not into the hell-fire and brimstone kind of preaching anymore, that doesn't particularly bother me.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:07 AM

8,581 posts, read 8,877,456 times
I understand and agree with a lot of your posts. Also realize it is up to each of us to discern the truth. I dont watch him a lot but, the other night he was basically making the case, because of the events happening in the middle east with Israel & in Russia that WWIII could break out by 2012 and the Cristians will be raptured before that. Pretty provacative to say the least, he did say he was not making a prediction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or