Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — The son of a snake-handling Kentucky preacher who died from a snakebite says he's recovering from his own rattlesnake wound.

Cody Coots tells the Lexington Herald-Leader (Months after snake-handling preacher's death, his son recovering from snakebite | State | Kentucky.com ) he was bitten on a finger as he removed snakes from a cage on Monday.

Son Of Snake Handler Killed By Snake Gets Bitten Too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 12:41 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
I used to live in Lexington and travelled into the eastern Kentucky mountain country where snake handling is prevalent in rural churches.

The sad thing is that those folks base their doctrine on words found in Mark 16: 9-20. Unfortunately those verses are not found in the earliest manuscripts of Mark. The entire section was an addition probably placed there to satisfy early Christians who may have been upset by the startling end of the original writings that ended with verse eight.

And it is a prime example why no one should attempt to read and understand scripture without a foundation in textual criticism. That poor preacher died for nothing.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I used to live in Lexington and travelled into the eastern Kentucky mountain country where snake handling is prevalent in rural churches.

The sad thing is that those folks base their doctrine on words found in Mark 16: 9-20. Unfortunately those verses are not found in the earliest manuscripts of Mark. The entire section was an addition probably placed there to satisfy early Christians who may have been upset by the startling end of the original writings that ended with verse eight.

And it is a prime example why no one should attempt to read and understand scripture without a foundation in textual criticism. That poor preacher died for nothing.
What do you mean, he died for nothing? Just because his rituals differ from your and don't make much sense to you doesn't mean he died for nothing. He professed God's word. He loved Christ. One day, Christ choose him to join Him in paradise. You call that "Nothing?"

Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
I saw a TV report about snake-handling churches once, and I have to say, at least these folks looked like they were having fun at church. The church my mom took me to was like going to a funeral every Sunday. I couldn't imagine why people seemed to actually WANT to go there.

There's a store in Frederick, Maryland, that sells alcoholic beverages, called "Trout Liquors". It made me try to write a song about a religious cult of "Trout Lickers", but I couldn't get anywhere with it.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
if the snake handlers are trying to show that they can handle snakes and not get injured, then i think their demonstration failed. probably because they were not rightly dividing the Word of God, and using it for entertainment and ignorant purposes (ignorant because they really do not understand what that verse truly means)

Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
if the snake handlers are trying to show that they can handle snakes and not get injured, then i think their demonstration failed. probably because they were not rightly dividing the Word of God, and using it for entertainment and ignorant purposes (ignorant because they really do not understand what that verse truly means)
They are drawing attention to themselves. Next it is a bit phony as they take in the poison in small doses to build up immunity. They know it isn't God doing it and they will run from a truly deadly snake such as a Black Mamba. They know better.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
If someone has a need to demonstrate their faith, I think there are much more sensible ways to do it.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Cody Coots
You can't fix stupid.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:31 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Once I seen the white serpent in the spirit and it came and bite me on the hand , and boy did it hurt for and few minutes ..... In the authority of the spirit the white serpent represents strife and contention and it rules over false religions .... See this preacher handles snakes in the natural where some Christians have to deal with snakes in the spirit , as theses snakes in the spirit are fallen angels

Old 05-28-2014, 03:41 PM

16,672 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — The son of a snake-handling Kentucky preacher who died from a snakebite says he's recovering from his own rattlesnake wound.

Cody Coots tells the Lexington Herald-Leader (Months after snake-handling preacher's death, his son recovering from snakebite | State | Kentucky.com ) he was bitten on a finger as he removed snakes from a cage on Monday.

Son Of Snake Handler Killed By Snake Gets Bitten Too
Shouldn't that boy get at least an honorable mention in the annual Darwin Awards ceremony? I mean, he ALMOST improved the gene pool by removing himself from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity