Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:21 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,189 times

Advertisements

Credo-Paedo Baptism Debate: Dr. Thomas Schreiner and Dr. David VanDrunen

http://www.petrik.com/GRC/02%2020081...sSchreiner.mp3

http://www.petrik.com/GRC/03%2020081...dVanDrunen.mp3

Baptism Q & A
http://www.petrik.com/GRC/04%2020081...tism_Forum.mp3

Last edited by Cephas40; 05-28-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 10:30 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Default Is baptism by immersion Biblical?

The question for Christians SHOULD be "Is baptism by immersion Christian?" Christ is the ultimate arbiter for Christians . . . NOT the bible.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:04 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The question for Christians SHOULD be "Is baptism by immersion Christian?" Christ is the ultimate arbiter for Christians . . . NOT the bible.
Agreed. Thus, the ultimate answer for me comes down to personal revelation from God and not "is it Biblical."

Old 05-29-2014, 04:54 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Are you implying religious superiority?
No Julian, that would be you who continually implies that.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
2) I stand by what I quoted Jesus saying in Matthew 12:36 in response to your careless comparison of Biblical Baptism to being baptized by Mormons after their death
Define biblical baptism. I believe it means adult baptism, which I was NOT talking about. Do you believe baptizing a baby or a dead person saves them?

Quote:
3) I'll go further to say it is alarming you would use such animosity towards what Scriptures teach about baptism.

the making of disciples Matthew 28:19
  • is commanded by Christ Matthew 28:19
  • It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 1 Peter 3:21
  • make her (the Christian Church) holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, Ephesians 5:26
no Finn, out of love and zeal for the truth I need to repeat to you the warning of Jesus in Matthew 12:36
Animosity? That is a strange accusation, since I specifically said every Christian should get baptized. You have your view, and I do not agree with it, but that does not mean I have something against baptism in general. I chose to get baptized as an adult, and I recommend every believer does the same, but I do not believe their salvation depends on it. the Bible repeats some 200 times the only requirement is faith. Those are not empty words, so you can quit suggesting I am guilty of saying empty things (Matt 12 36). I asked you to clarify Mark 16:16 by showing me what it says about people who believe, but have not yet been baptized, but you were not able to, and I think that should make you wonder, but instead, you throw false accusations at me.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
OK, you need to look at baptism in historical context. The first Christians were likely baptized as adults by immersion or by kneeling down while water was poured over the head.
The first Christians believed that baptism was necessary for salvation and baptisms at the death bed were common. Sometimes Christians would die without a baptism and that was considered a tragedy. So you can imagine why the church decided to perform baptisms at an earlier age.

Infant mortality was high during those days so it was decided to baptized newborns ASAP. This was ALL done because the consensus among Christians was that baptism was necessary for salvation.

It is easy for you to say they are wrong, but remember, these folks lived in another era. And------ there were many bible verses that suggested the necessity of baptism.

Later the church stated that baptism by intention was good enough for salvation, but staunch Christians of that era wanted their kids baptized just in case.

Within this context one could understand the rite the Mormons perform regarding baptism for those that died without baptism.

Each religion is different and each religion interprets the bible differently.

I think it is difficult to look at the bible and Christianity in the 21st century while ignoring the Christianity of 2,000 years past.
I think the "they do it just in case" pretty much sums it up.

I did it out of obedience, some others do it 'just n case'.

There is no harm done by baptizing a baby, or a dead person, so although the Bible does not teach infant baptism, it also does not say you should not do it. However, if you do it and claim it saved the baby, then you are teaching a false message.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-29-2014 at 05:43 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:49 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think the "they do it just in case" pretty much sums it up.

I did it out of obedience, some others do it 'just n case'.

There is no harm done by baptizing a baby, or a dead person,
Exactly!

Quote:
However, if you do it and claim it saved the baby, then you are teaching a false message.
Easy for you to say that. However, Christianity in the first centuries thought otherwise. Most reformers thought otherwise. Your concept is quite new and hopefully you will not use your views to judge others.

Claiming the truth and saying that others have a false message is basically playing the game "my religion is better than yours". I see it differently and have no issues with all the different forms of baptism. And if the mormons do what they do more power to them.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Easy for you to say that. However, Christianity in the first centuries thought otherwise. Most reformers thought otherwise. Your concept is quite new and hopefully you will not use your views to judge others.

Claiming the truth and saying that others have a false message is basically playing the game "my religion is better than yours". I see it differently and have no issues with all the different forms of baptism. And if the mormons do what they do more power to them.
You are the only one going on about denominations. Who told you early Christians taught infant baptism is enough to save a person?

Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,249 times
Quote:
You are the only one going on about denominations. Who told you early Christians taught infant baptism is enough to save a person?
The Catholic Papacy taught him that and he believes whatever they say or whatever they wrote.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Baptizing a baby is same as baptizing a dead body like the Mormons do. In both cases the person being baptized has no knowledge of what is happening.
Mormons do not baptise dead bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity