Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,773 times

Advertisements

Let me review each of these:

The one thread using the Baptist name is referring to one policy, drinking. It does not question the validity of the religion.

Next, the gambling question is questioning a policy regarding gambling, it does not question Christianity.

The Oral Roberts thread is questioning a business practice at his university; it does not question Christianity or any specific religion.

The Church of Christ thread will qualify, but it has not been perpetuated. You will note, the Mormon thread never seems to go away.

The Public Apology thread is complaining about the behavior of the Pastor, it has nothing to do with the faith itself.

The Pure Hate thread condemns that particular sermon and the statement of one of its members, but I see no attack in the Baptist faith. There is a statement from one poster that indicates the content of the original post is a reason he or she is afraid of Christianity.

The Speaking in Tongues thread, says nothing about a particular faith.

The Women’s Role in Church thread, does not attack any particular faith or denomination.

Different Religion's Beliefs! What are they? This thread does not target any one faith.

In short, Alpha, with the exception of the Church of Christ thread, none of those you have posted even comes close to the nature of the threads, which have been posted regarding the LDS faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 PM

230 posts, read 583,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Maybe it is because Methodists dont want to convert everybody! Maybe it is because they dont have to tell everyone that they belong to the only real/right church and why you need to join to be saved.
Maybe it's because not enough folks are interested in what Methodists believe.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
That is not the SUBJECT of this thread. Do you want to start another thread about the errors within the churches of Christianity? There are many, I agree. That is why I am an independent--I belong to no denomination.

I focus solely on LDS doctrine when that is the subject of a thread!

Preterist
Since you state you are bound and obligated to point out the errors of faiths that are not Bible based, I expect you to stand behind your words and do as you have stated. I absolutely expect you to start additional threads focusing on what you believe are the fallacies of other faiths.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
The key thing here is "who" the works are being done by. Ask yourself this question tonight, if you are able to get to Heaven based solely on your ability, why did Christ come here?

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Are they being done by ourselves, or by God(Through the Holy Spirit). That's one of the problems I have with Mormon doctrine(not Mormons themselves). God is working through us, but we ourselves can do nothing on our own. It defeats the purpose of Christ if we attribute our salvation to our own merit. We're essentially glorifying ourselves, and not God if we believe salvation is primarily based on our own human efforts.
Wow. You said a lot, but you didn't specifically say what problem you have with the mormon doctrine.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Have to disagree with that. There's nothing we ourselves are doing..it's the work of God, or faith..that's doing everything for us.

John 6:29
Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

So even our faith in itself is coming from God. Now does this mean that by simply believing in the existence of God - we are saved? Well according to the Word no. As spoken through James, this is what it states -

James 2:18
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

So the true faith in God, produces the works. We don't produce the works on our own. If we attribute the works to ourselves, then we are glorifying ourselves and not God. likewise though, if the works themselves aren't manifest - then our faith is a dead one. There's a balance that needs to be achieved in the teaching and professing of doctrine. Many times people(I have done so myself at times as well) will take one verse - and base an entire doctrine off of it. As we grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord..he will gradually lead us to the entire picture of his salvation through his Word.

Blessings,

Stephen
How can you say it's nothing we are doing? If when God works His spirit through us, choosing to accept that and allowing His spirit to work through us still takes work on our part. In accepting His will, whatever it may be, takes work: choice. Making a choice or accepting His will is a choice: choice = work.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Tell us about "reformed Egyptian," what a crock. Tell us about the incident in Kirtland, Ohio, between Smith and Smith's teenaged housekeeper Fannie Alger (and Smith's wife's reaction), which presaged Smith's "revelation" about plural marriage. Tell us about the similarity of the idea in the Book of Mormon about Israelites being the forefathers of American Indians with the same thesis found in the book Views of the Hebrews, written by the pastor of the church where Oliver Cowdery (primary scribe of Book of the Mormon) attended in Vermont before ever meeting Joseph Smith, Jr. Tell us about Smith's ordering the unconstitutional smashing of the printing press of the "Nauvoo Expositor" newspaper, a publication of Mormon dissenters, after Smith started to let out his idea about plural marriage while the LDS faithful were in Nauvoo, Illinois. Then tell us again how Smith was a prophet and "man of God."
Park, you constantly refer to these topics. It seems to be your particular mantra, so, please, using your extensive background in language, both Eqyptian and Hebrew, tell us all about Reformed Eqyptian. Please, tell us all about Fannie Alger, Please, tell us all about the similarity between the Book of Mormon and the idea that American Indians were one of the lost tribes and show that Joseph even knew about this idea. Please, tell us all about the Epositor incident. I'll bet you a million bucks you don't know any more than I. I'll bet you a million bucks you don't don't know anymore than the thousands of linguist, both LDS and not, with PhDs behind their names, who admit the Book of Mormon follows the pattern of the Hebrew language.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:48 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
Gee. Is it wrong to want to share what you believe if it's what makes you happy, brings you joy? I don't know what other churches teach, but thanks for letting me know that Methodists don't want to convert or teach what they believe to everyone. I'll remember that the next time I'm shopping and a person of the Methodist faith tries to give me a flyer about coming the their church. I'll let them know that a Methodist person told me that Methodists aren't interested in converting everyone, so just leave me alone. I'll tell them that a Methodist person told me that they don't believe their church is the only real/right church so why should I even bother? So, the if the Methodist doctrine does not try to convert everyone or say their the only church, then should a Methodist not come on the board and try to convert me? It seems like a waist of time if that's the doctrine. I don't want to be a member of just any church that's why I searched for so many years. I want to go to the right church. Yes, that sounds arrogant to even my family, but it's what I believe and not ashamed to say it. I would, however, be ashamed to go around and speak ill of other doctrines, claim their false and such. I can only say what I believe. Isn't that what we're supposed to do? Also, We are only encouraged to tell folks what we believe if and only if they are interested. We want to be the ones to represent ourselves.

Dannnnnnng!!! Why all the Methodist bashing!! As a fellow Methodist I'm hurt..

Old 01-14-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

Dude, I'm only responding to what a person just told me Methodists don't do. That's all. Go back to the thread I'm responding to and you'll see that I'm going by exactly what the person said Methodists don't do. I wonder if the person who said that is even a Methodist. I guess it goes all around.

Last edited by annibelle; 01-14-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

Well, you know what they say about them Methodist..................

Old 01-14-2008, 12:57 PM

479 posts, read 1,141,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
How can you say it's nothing we are doing? If when God works His spirit through us, choosing to accept that and allowing His spirit to work through us still takes work on our part. In accepting His will, whatever it may be, takes work: choice. Making a choice or accepting His will is a choice: choice = work.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Whether the choices we make are good or bad, God's always using us for his glory and for the good of those who love him. Our choices or works have no effect on God's ability to give Grace. So perhaps the better phraseology would be, it is not of our own will that we are saved, it is of God's will. This is but one of the flaws with Mormon doctrine. Attributing salvation to the "will of man" instead of the "will of God." If by our own works we are saved, we're limiting the atonement power, grace, and power of Christ's sacrafice.

This is not to say that we should cease in doing good, it's just demonstrates that God is in control of everything despite what we do. If we understand this, it should give us a sense of contentment knowing that we serve a loving God, who has power and control over all things be they deemed good or evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity