Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM

230 posts, read 583,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
No, I think it is more that they do not PUSH themselves onto others unwantingly. Like the mormons do.
If you had that experience, I feel bad for you. Just because I didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen, but if it did, I seriously am shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 04:35 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
I don't believe you at all when you say missionaries spent hours telling her the flaws in her beliefs. Missionaries are not allowed.
It matters not to me whether you believe me or not.

I'm speaking the Truth, regardless of who embraces it and who doesn't.

I have no argument with you, but to call me a liar isn't very fair.

Good day.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:40 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,439,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Annibelle, are you telling us that you don't try and correct those who are in error?

Exactly what is it that you think Mormon missionaries do?

Do they only witness to people who have NO belief?

I have a friend whose mother had been Baptist all her life, these Mormon missionaries spent hours telling her about the flaws in her belief system until she became a Mormon.

Can you give us your address so we can send these missionaries to you for you to straighten out? They shouldn't be doing that, right????
My husband went on his mission to Alabama ( over 20 years ago )
he had to do just that! That is why they are sent out to save everyone they can and if they are not baptizing many it is questioned as to why they are not converting.
I have had them come to my door and do the same thing. Home teacher assigned to our family the same thing to convert me. He said to me before we moved are you going to let me get you baptized before you move I am getting questioned about it, as he was my neighbor for 5 yrs!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM

255 posts, read 608,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
There is a man who just began attending my church. He is former-LDS. He has decided to be baptized in our church. Since making this decision, he has been notified that once he is baptized in our church, he will be excommunicated from the LDS church.

I know that there are obvious differences, otherwise the debate would not exist. My question, is this: If we are all Christians, why does it matter if he attends another Christian church? Why does he have to be excommunicated?
Attending another church isn't grounds for excommunication. And it used to be that joining another church wouldn't get you excommunicated either.

If you click here
you can read a talk by M. Russell Ballard from 1990 where he says, "Nor are they [disciplinary councils, where decisions are made about excommunications] held for members who demand that their names be removed from Church records or who have joined another church; that is now an administrative action." (And that also ties into a discussion SergeantL and I were having earlier.)

However, I've been hearing that this was changed about a year ago and that Mormons who join another church are getting excommunicated. I don't have first-hand knowledge of this policy shift, but if you don't have other reasons to doubt this man's word, I would believe him.

I'll let others speak to the why.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It matters not to me whether you believe me or not.

I'm speaking the Truth, regardless of who embraces it and who doesn't.

I have no argument with you, but to call me a liar isn't very fair.

Good day.
I and anyone knows from reading the board that most folks, not all, whole purpose is to try and disprove lds doctrine. Good luck. But seriously, no one can cram something down someones throat. Besides, if that did happen, I have no control over it. If you're really concerned when that happens, all you have to do is find out who their leaders are and they'll be in trouble. But since people have an unfair advantage over lds people as far as speaking negative, I'll question it. Didn't you say it happened to a your mother's friend? Were you there or is it another bad lds story you heard from someone?

Last edited by annibelle; 01-14-2008 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
My husband went on his mission to Alabama ( over 20 years ago )
he had to do just that! That is why they are sent out to save everyone they can and if they are not baptizing many it is questioned as to why they are not converting.
I have had them come to my door and do the same thing. Home teacher assigned to our family the same thing to convert me. He said to me before we moved are you going to let me get you baptized before you move I am getting questioned about it, as he was my neighbor for 5 yrs!
There is nothing wrong with sharing your faith with others. Everyone does it. Baptists, Catholics, Jehovah's Witness. Mistake me if I'm wrong, but I thought that that's what Christians do. Whats wrong is to go up to someone, without them even asking for your opinion and saying, "Your doctrine has flaws or your doctrine is wrong." I'll say it again, the country was founded on religious freedom. Lds believe all should have the right to worship as they please. If someone is interested in the lds gospel and they ask the missionaries to explain what's the difference between the lds doctrine and others or what makes the lds doctrine different, of course it makes sense to give an answer. What is wrong is to try to become a representative of someone else's beliefs. Like I said, I'd never try to tell a Baptist or any other religious person how to worship. If they're interested in how I worship, then of course I'll share it. If you are Catholic and someone wants to know your views on religion of Catholics, by all means you should share it, but to say Muslims are evil or something is not fair. Also, if you don't want a home teacher then why don't you tell them that. In our ward, we have families on do not call lists if that's what they ask for. You don't get a visit anymore if you tell the bishop that you don't want them. What's hard about that?

Last edited by annibelle; 01-14-2008 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
I and anyone knows from reading the board that most folks, not all, whole purpose is to try and disprove lds doctrine. Good luck. But seriously, no one can cram something down someones throat. Besides, if that did happen, I have no control over it. If you're really concerned when that happens, all you have to do is find out who their leaders are and they'll be in trouble. But since people have an unfair advantage over lds people as far as speaking negative, I'll question it. Didn't you say it happened to a your mother's friend? Were you there or is it another bad lds story you heard from someone?
I didn't 'say' anything.

I typed that it happened to a friend's mother.

Forget it. The love of Christ you (fail) to reflect tells me how serious to take you.

Thank God Sarge and coolcats are here to represent the LDS.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
Attending another church isn't grounds for excommunication. And it used to be that joining another church wouldn't get you excommunicated either.

If you click here
you can read a talk by M. Russell Ballard from 1990 where he says, "Nor are they [disciplinary councils, where decisions are made about excommunications] held for members who demand that their names be removed from Church records or who have joined another church; that is now an administrative action." (And that also ties into a discussion SergeantL and I were having earlier.)

However, I've been hearing that this was changed about a year ago and that Mormons who join another church are getting excommunicated. I don't have first-hand knowledge of this policy shift, but if you don't have other reasons to doubt this man's word, I would believe him.

I'll let others speak to the why.
Thanks for your honesty in not having full knowledge as a non member. I did ask a leader. It's incorrect. No one is excommunicated unless they officially ask to be excommunicated in writing or if they did something very serious. For example, if they committed adultery or child molestation or if they associate with something like a hate group, something like that would be grounds for getting exed. Even then, it's only after the church makes several attempts to meet with the member, discuss it. It's nothing something that just occurs out of the blue and boom your exed. It's a very, lengthy process. He's maybe leaving something out for fear of embarrassement because, if you get exed, it's something serious. You have to stay out of membership for at least a year and even then, you can't come back to full fellowship without counseling from leaders.

Last edited by annibelle; 01-14-2008 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I didn't 'say' anything.

I typed that it happened to a friend's mother.

Forget it. The love of Christ you (fail) to reflect tells me how serious to take you.

Thank God Sarge and coolcats are here to represent the LDS.
Why is it okay for people to say the most negative things over and over again about my faith, my doctrine, my most personal beliefs and share any negative experience they've had with lds folks from over 20 years ago til now, but you consider all of that to be normal, okay or reflecting Christlike love ? Yet, as soon as I say something about it ( not so patiently as Sarge and coolcats) then I'm accused of not reflecting Christlike love? Why does every negative mormon experience have to be true, but as soon as a mormon speaks truthfully of their doctrine and beliefs, it's questioned to the upteenth? If it's okay and fair to have my faith questioned then others should not take it so hard when what they say is questioned. It's that simple.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, she did become lds....interesting story.

Her son had gone to Brazil and came back with these Mormons. They stayed int he home for an extended period of time and she did convert, her husband did not.

Then, a few weeks ago, all the missionaries came back and told her that they had serious doubts about what they had told her and that they were leaving the LDS church and urged her to do the same.

She did.

Anyway, Mormon missionaries DO try and teach people they feel are in error, whether you do personally or not.
Thanks for sharing. I absolutely believe you. Folks leave churches all of the time. Yes, I totally agree with you that all mormons try to teach people they feel are in error of lds doctrine whether you do personally or not. Seriously though, exactly what would you like for me to say? Would you like for me to say, "Oh, yeah lds doctrine, the very doctrine I believe in, is wrong and not true?" Is that what you'd like for me to say? If that's what you're looking for, I can't help you there. And if you expect me to have the patience of Job while you recite whatever negative experience with lds and just believe all of it, that's not fair either. Yet, you feel it's fair game to question.

Last edited by annibelle; 01-14-2008 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: additions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity