Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
and what I learned of the Coptic is:
The first translation into the Sahidic dialect was made at the end of the 2nd century in Upper Egypt, where Greek was less well understood. So the Sahidic is famous for being the first major literary development of the Coptic language
now think this through:
One of the idlest Translations (probably the first language the NT was translated into from Greek), the Coptic, ....... was produced " in Upper Egypt where Greek was less well understood."
in other words claims of Coptic being .... is probably more none sense propaganda floated out there by the clueless for those who really want it to be truthful.
Gotta give me a link so I can have a good laugh.

Coptic was the written language of Egypt since Alexander's time. It is Egyptian written with Greek characters, with a few new ones for unique sounds and borrow words from Greek. These were scholars who did the translating and such Coptic MS are one of the best tools we have to see what was believed in that time.

By the way I have studied Coptic and done translating work as part of a committee translating the Coptic NT into English, so I do know a bit about it. You obviously do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus prefaced His response with the phrase, “I tell you the truth” (“Verily I say unto thee” in the KJV). Many scholars have noticed that Jesus uses this as a prefix phrase when He is about to say something that should be listened to with care. Seventy-six times in the New Testament, Jesus uses the phrase. Interestingly, no one but Jesus ever says it. When the Lord says “I tell you the truth,” He is affirming that what He is about to say is worthy of special attention. It was Jesus’ way of saying, “Listen up! What I’m about to say is very important and should be listened to carefully.” We’re too used to hearing the phrase to appreciate the astonishing authority it expresses and the often solemn nature of the announcement that follows. In every one of the 76 times Christ uses this introductory phrase, He simply says it and then makes a startling statement.

Read more: What did Jesus mean when He said, "Today you will be with me in paradise"?
Interesting BUT, every use of the structure, as i posted earlier< fits the application of the comma after Today, not before. The grammar requires it. Yes Jesus was making a point, but since he wasn't in paradise that day, neither was the thief. Paradise was/is a future eventuality.

From a link on that site:

What is paradise? Is it different than Heaven?

Question: "What is paradise? Is it different than Heaven?"

Answer:
Paradise is a place of blessing where the righteous go after death. The word paradise is usually used as a synonym for “heaven” (Revelation 2:7).

When Jesus was dying on the cross and one of the thieves being crucified with Him asked Him for mercy, Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43). Jesus knew that His death was imminent and that He would soon be in heaven with His Father. Therefore, Jesus used “paradise” as a synonym for “heaven.” The apostle Paul wrote of someone (probably himself) who “was caught up to paradise” (2 Corinthians 12:4). In this context, paradise obviously refers to heaven.

http://www.gotquestions.org/paradise.html

Jesus was not in heaven till he went their 40 days after his resurrection (see acts 1. So NOT "today".

They don't read their own posts.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:53 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Jesus was not in heaven till he went their 40 days after his resurrection (see acts 1. So NOT "today".

They don't read their own posts.
Where did I post this?

*there

Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Gotta give me a link so I can have a good laugh.

Coptic was the written language of Egypt since Alexander's time. It is Egyptian written with Greek characters, with a few new ones for unique sounds and borrow words from Greek. These were scholars who did the translating and such Coptic MS are one of the best tools we have to see what was believed in that time.

By the way I have studied Coptic and done translating work as part of a committee translating the Coptic NT into English, so I do know a bit about it. You obviously do not.
Moderator cut: deleted
[/indent]Jesus has eternal life in the present tense in other scriptures, and remembering that Jesus being the same yesterday, today and forever .... and Jesus says that" scriptures not to be broken", means (in English) that Jesus is understood to be saying
"I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise" .... present tense.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-02-2014 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Sarcastic comments within posts are deleted and from this point on, will be infracted.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise .... present tense.
No comma:

I tell you today you will be with me in paradise
.... future tense.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
No comma:

I tell you today you will be with me in paradise .... future tense.
Why? Says who?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Where did I post this?

*there
You posted the following as post #37
:
Originally Posted by jimmiej
Jesus prefaced His response with the phrase, “I tell you the truth” (“Verily I say unto thee” in the KJV). Many scholars have noticed that Jesus uses this as a prefix phrase when He is about to say something that should be listened to with care. Seventy-six times in the New Testament, Jesus uses the phrase. Interestingly, no one but Jesus ever says it. When the Lord says “I tell you the truth,” He is affirming that what He is about to say is worthy of special attention. It was Jesus’ way of saying, “Listen up! What I’m about to say is very important and should be listened to carefully.” We’re too used to hearing the phrase to appreciate the astonishing authority it expresses and the often solemn nature of the announcement that follows. In every one of the 76 times Christ uses this introductory phrase, He simply says it and then makes a startling statement.

Read more: What did Jesus mean when He said, "Today you will be with me in paradise"?

When you go to the site linked at the bottom is:

That takes you to

Then read to the 2nd paragraph. In fact the 3rd really confuses the issue.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Why? Says who?
The Greek text. The word use of being with Jesus is future tense not present.

esn (a form of eimi) verb indicative future no voice stated 2nd person singular

Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Moderator cut: deleted
[/indent]Jesus has eternal life in the present tense in other scriptures, and remembering that Jesus being the same yesterday, today and forever .... and Jesus says that" scriptures not to be broken", means (in English) that Jesus is understood to be saying
"I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise" .... present tense.
There is no comma in Greek. Thus "truly I tell you today you will be with me in paradise is the phrase, where a comma goes is based on grammar and in every instance of this construction it would be after "today". Context also counts and Jesus was not in paradise that day (including in the site the one poster supplied) he was in the Grave/hades.

Jesus knew what he was saying and so did those listening to him, as they also knew the language. PLus the word sued of Jesus being there is future tense not present.

1. Grammar
2, Context
3 Word choice

Three strikes.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
You posted the following as post #37
:
Originally Posted by jimmiej

When you go to the site linked at the bottom is:

That takes you to

Then read to the 2nd paragraph. In fact the 3rd really confuses the issue.
I'm not seeing what you quoted earlier. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity