Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in global warming?
Yes 19 55.88%
No 15 44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:44 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
If we were to be forced to do so now, it would cost people a fortune because things like solar energy and so forth aren't effective enough and not being mass produced as a result. So it's going to take a new invention to make it effective. I think people need to get on this idea because it would finally free us from corrupt oil companies. I'm thinking though the recent evidence might support man made global warming. They say the sun is not causing the increase in temperature, and other natural sources of carbon dioxide aren't increasing. The only other option is us. I'm just of the belief that we can't keep living like this forever. Pumping all that gas into the atmosphere without it having some kind of adverse effect.
I'm sorry, I just haven't seen that evidence. Does that explain why Mars is also warming? There are no people there.

But back to the point of the technology...historically more advances are made and we get better technology when private enterprise does it. Think about it -- which one do you think is more motivated? The one who is told to invent something by the government? Or the one who stands to be wealthy beyond his imagination if he comes up with the next great thing?

Old 06-04-2014, 10:15 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
The scientists I've seen talk about this issue don't talk about whether climate change is real; that is a given. They talk about what we can do about it.

Here's something from the American Association for the Advancement of Science:

Quote:
The overwhelming evidence of human caused climate change documents both current impacts with significant costs and extraordinary future risks to society and natural systems. The scientific community has convened conferences, published reports, spoken out at forums and proclaimed, through statements by virtually every national scientific academy and relevant major scientific organization—including the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)—that climate change puts the well-being of people of all nations at risk.
http://climatenexus.org/wp-content/u...ow_3.17.14.pdf

Old 06-04-2014, 10:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
If we were to be forced to do so now, it would cost people a fortune because things like solar energy and so forth aren't effective enough and not being mass produced as a result. So it's going to take a new invention to make it effective. I think people need to get on this idea because it would finally free us from corrupt oil companies. I'm thinking though the recent evidence might support man made global warming. They say the sun is not causing the increase in temperature, and other natural sources of carbon dioxide aren't increasing. The only other option is us. I'm just of the belief that we can't keep living like this forever. Pumping all that gas into the atmosphere without it having some kind of adverse effect.
I agree, and getting away from oil (and being forced to bow down to Saudi Arabia over it) can only be a good thing. Many people where I live have solar panels and like them. We're considering it. We also recycle and drive high MPG vehicles.

I'm not a meteorologist or weather expert, so I'm like most people and have to take scientist's word for it. I know the earth has cooled/warmed in the past and things naturally change. Haven't there been massive volcano eruptions that caused climate change in the past? Considering how much pollution we've been putting into the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution, it wouldn't surprise me that humans are causing climate change.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:28 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
I'm sorry, but I am totally baffled as to how a belief in Jesus Christ is supposedly incompatible with a belief in global warming. Could somebody please explain.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The scientists I've seen talk about this issue don't talk about whether climate change is real; that is a given. They talk about what we can do about it.

Here's something from the American Association for the Advancement of Science:

http://climatenexus.org/wp-content/u...ow_3.17.14.pdf
Since that fits Rev 11:18, I have no problem with it.

Where it becomes an issue is when politics and fanaticism come in.

As an example there are laws to reduce automotive emissions 50% being promoted. Great right? Nope since emission systems first were put on, emissions have dropped 98%. They really want to spend billions to fix one more %. That will do exactly ............................ nothing. There are two major sources of emissions that are creating problems today.

1. Nature through volcanic eruptions. Not much we can do about that and one eruption throws more carbon into the air than man does in years.

2. Countries like China and India that do NOTHING about emissions and won't.

All the posturing on Weather Change (New name since Global Warming had problems) is that nothing the US can do will make any significant difference, but it keeps money flowing into Politicians and Environmental groups pockets.

The answer is not man, as man won't Change, it is God's Kingdom

Pray for it to come Matt 6:9,10.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Is the planet warming? Yes - we are coming out of a mild ice age cycle from many centuries past. There are also smaller (decade long) cycles of warming and cooling based on sun cycles. The sun is the largest contributor to the planet's temperature. (duh)

Are humans causing the planet to warm? Doubtful. There are local effects - its hotter in a parking lot than a forest. Therefore its hotter in most cities than out in the country. But there are bigger things to worry about.

Are humans causing damage and pollution to the earth? Absolutely. The recent gulf oil spill, the ongoing Fukishima disaster, and Monsanto GMO crops are examples of real threats to humanity that are definitely caused by humans, and that we should be doing something about.

Conclusion: its easier for the mainstream media and elites to use the perceived "global warming" threat as a way for control (fear - the sky is falling!) and to make money (carbon taxes) than to actually do something about the real dangers like Fukishima or Monsanto GMO crops killing off the bees which could result in large scale decimation of the population.

FYI Fukishima has been dumping radiation into the Pacific ocean for 3 years straight. Now it is reaching the west coast of America, fish and birds are dying off. Shouldn't that get a tiny bit more coverage than any so-called global warming?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

FYI Fukishima has been dumping radiation into the Pacific ocean for 3 years straight. Now it is reaching the west coast of America, fish and birds are dying off. Shouldn't that get a tiny bit more coverage than any so-called global warming?
No money in it for politicians and environmentalists.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I agree, and getting away from oil (and being forced to bow down to Saudi Arabia over it) can only be a good thing. Many people where I live have solar panels and like them. We're considering it . We also recycle and drive high MPG vehicles.

I'm not a meteorologist or weather expert, so I'm like most people and have to take scientist's word for it. I know the earth has cooled/warmed in the past and things naturally change. Haven't there been massive volcano eruptions that caused climate change in the past? Considering how much pollution we've been putting into the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution, it wouldn't surprise me that humans are causing climate change.
Mt. St Helens did more damage to the ozone than everything man has possibly ever done. But the ozone bounced back from that. Do a little research on the effect of that eruption and you will find so much so-called science was proven wrong that if they admitted it they would be rewriting text books til this day.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
There are some Jesus freaks who say there is no global warming, there are devout atheists who are environazis, the extremists almost never represent the views of the majority.

Faith and reason are not necessarily mutually exclusive and a lot of Christians are concerned for the environment.

Besides, the people who drive SUVs that get 8 MPG and live in McMansions that use 1500 cf natural gas to heat in the winter and 4000kWh in the summer to cool are really serving the mammon anyway.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
God causes the climate to change today, just as He has throughout human history.

woxyroxme wrote:

Quote:
Besides, the people who drive SUVs that get 8 MPG and live in McMansions that use 1500 cf natural gas to heat in the winter and 4000kWh in the summer to cool are really serving the mammon anyway.
You mean like Al Gore, who flies around in a private jet and has 3 homes, including a mansion that uses 12 times the electric power of an ordinary house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity