Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 12:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The horror....
Meh. We all get to choose how we set the "About Me" section. We all get to choose what we put on it.

If someone with a "Friends Only" profile wants to use it to 'get the goods' on his fellow posters.... whatever. I liken it to peeking on your neighbors while hiding behind the curtains.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:52 PM

76,823 posts, read 47,136,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Meh. We all get to choose how we set the "About Me" section. We all get to choose what we put on it.
I highly recommend adding nothing there, and restricting the viewing of your profile.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:53 PM

63,354 posts, read 39,631,847 times
Quote:
All I see a complete is non-issue. It's amazing what people will complain about these days.
It is hypocritical . . . but you are right it is a non-issue. What is on the profile is determined completely by the member . . . so no secret or unnecessarily identifying information need be posted. I just find it telling that fundamentalists seem to be ashamed to let anyone visit their profile and personal messages. I have no idea why.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:00 PM

31,374 posts, read 19,992,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is hypocritical . . . but you are right it is a non-issue. What is on the profile is determined completely by the member . . . so no secret or unnecessarily identifying information need be posted. I just find it telling that fundamentalists seem to be ashamed to let anyone visit their profile and personal messages. I have no idea why.
It's fear.

Fearfulness is part and parcel of the fundamentalist mindset. They fear hell. They fear their god. They fear Muslims. They fear gays. They fear Science. They fear their government. They fear "otherness."

Old 06-13-2014, 01:02 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,737,594 times
Quote:
You have no idea why - and yet you claim they are ashamed and it is based on fear - but you have no idea.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I highly recommend adding nothing there, and restricting the viewing of your profile.
That is certainly one way to foster fellowship.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You have no idea why - and yet you claim they are ashamed and it is based on fear - but you have no idea.
I truly have no idea. I only assume they are ashamed. I said nothing about fear. That was Trout . . . see below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's fear.
Fearfulness is part and parcel of the fundamentalist mindset. They fear hell. They fear their god. They fear Muslims. They fear gays. They fear Science. They fear their government. They fear "otherness."

Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's how some show the love of God they claim to have.

Thinking people recognize that there are actually a few bad people floating around on the internet looking for personal information. Then of course there are the anti- everything crowd that will use it as well. Mind you I do not normally check a persons profile unless they are someone I have come to know and know they won't mind. If they post nothing, fine as I can email them if I really wanted to.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It's how some show the love of God they claim to have.
Thinking people recognize that there are actually a few bad people floating around on the internet looking for personal information. Then of course there are the anti- everything crowd that will use it as well.
But the information posted is completely determined by the member . . . so there is no danger that anything they don't want known would ever be seen. It is a puzzlement.
Quote:
Mind you I do not normally check a persons profile unless they are someone I have come to know and know they won't mind. If they post nothing, fine as I can email them if I really wanted to.
It is a public profile so it can be assumed they don't mind you viewing it. Those who do mind obviously restrict it . . . though I question why they would even post anything in the first place.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,155,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I liken it to peeking on your neighbors while hiding behind the curtains.
Peekaboo ...I see you! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity