Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yep.

And then they copy/paste those flaccid arguments from Creationist sites and think they're making a point.
And the utterly dumfounding thing about that is that they just can't comprehend that the stuff they copy and paste is just pure nonsense - all they know is that it agrees with what they already think, so they assume it must be some sort of evidence or something. They just can't grasp that it makes no sense at all, because they don't understand what they're talking about.

Don't get me wrong; a lot of these people are really decent human beings - very sincere, well-meaning, and goodhearted. I've got nothing against them personally, nothing at all. I like them and respect them, and deeply admire their faith. On one level, I feel like a creep arguing with them.... but they're trying to get this crap rammed down the throats of young children in our public schools, and that just has to be stopped. And the only way to stop it is to speak out against it, and shout it down. We have to do everything in our power to snuff it out whenever and wherever we can.... I just wish we could do it without arguing with such nice, well-meaning people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:39 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
And the utterly dumfounding thing about that is that they just can't comprehend that the stuff they copy and paste is just pure nonsense - all they know is that it agrees with what they already think, so they assume it must be some sort of evidence or something. They just can't grasp that it makes no sense at all, because they don't understand what they're talking about.

Don't get me wrong; a lot of these people are really decent human beings - very sincere, well-meaning, and goodhearted. I've got nothing against them personally, nothing at all. I like them and respect them, and deeply admire their faith. On one level, I feel like a creep arguing with them.... but they're trying to get this crap rammed down the throats of young children in our public schools, and that just has to be stopped. And the only way to stop it is to speak out against it, and shout it down. We have to do everything in our power to snuff it out whenever and wherever we can.... I just wish we could do it without arguing with such nice, well-meaning people.
Amen.

Except, I find the ones who argue against common sense to be not always very nice at all. Quite a few are spiteful and small-minded - much like the God they worship.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:46 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Amen.

Except, I find the ones who argue against common sense to be not always very nice at all. Quite a few are spiteful and small-minded - much like the God they worship.
That's true; some of them are quite nasty and smallminded, and that just seems to be who they are. But then there are others who seem as though they could (and sometimes do) go either way, and I have to put myself in their position. Some of us get pretty harsh sometimes in how we attack the very foundation of their entire belief system, and I have to remind myself that that's the sort of thing that can bring out the very worst in someone. So I feel I have to cut them some slack on that.

But your point does stand, nevertheless. It's deeply disturbing to see how many people are drawn to Christianity just for the "smiting of the evildoers" part. They don't want any part of this candy-assed "love thy neighbor" crap; they want to get right to the part where they get to burn old ladies at the stake for having too many cats. Those are the ones who make me vomit at the very thought of Christianity ever getting its bloody fingers wrapped more tightly around the throat of the 21st Century American social structure.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:12 AM

153 posts, read 150,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
God wouldn't need to "guide" evolution. Evolution works according to an elementary principle, which, left alone, will continue to favor species who have characteristics that are useful to survival in a competitive ecosystem. Species with the speed to run away from predators would continue to do so without God's personal intervention, thus increasing their chances of survival. It is impossible to imagine life on earth (or anywhere else) without those fundamental laws in place of who survives and flourishes, and who doesn't.

Just as God would not need to guide Gravity, as massive objects would continue to attract each other without His personal intervention regulating every pin drop. Every pin behaves according to a law that is so simple, it can be described in about ten words (depending on language), without a single amendment or codicil.

You may, if you wish, hold that God set in place all these natural laws of the universe, but you must agree that only those laws, at the outsset, are all that is needed to make the universe run as it does. There is a very tiny number of "laws of the universe", and once comprehended, it is very easy to see how everything works as it must work, without any day-to-day tinkering. In fact, they work so well that God could have just stood back and watched chaos, and said "Wow, I don't have to do anything with this. Look at all those slow animals getting gobbled up, I bet they won't last long.".
The laws are like those of a well run school , or indeed a programme , in which the learner moves on and up,as they learn positively , and downward as they make wrong choices ,causng pain at first ,and then destruction if ignored .
If someone is feeling pain ,whether of a physical kind or a mental one ,it is a sign of being very much alive ,but not quite on the correct path,but when there is no longer any pain only dullness and corruption.

However although it is evident that there is evolution,is this upwards or downwards,one has to ask.
Is what we are seeing,punishment for breaking God's laws,and so dropping downwards, as in 'devolution'.
Is it really upwards evolution we are seeing ,or is it downwards towards 'hell' ?

Old 06-18-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
That's true; some of them are quite nasty and smallminded, and that just seems to be who they are. But then there are others who seem as though they could (and sometimes do) go either way, and I have to put myself in their position. Some of us get pretty harsh sometimes in how we attack the very foundation of their entire belief system, and I have to remind myself that that's the sort of thing that can bring out the very worst in someone. So I feel I have to cut them some slack on that.

But your point does stand, nevertheless. It's deeply disturbing to see how many people are drawn to Christianity just for the "smiting of the evildoers" part. They don't want any part of this candy-assed "love thy neighbor" crap; they want to get right to the part where they get to burn old ladies at the stake for having too many cats. Those are the ones who make me vomit at the very thought of Christianity ever getting its bloody fingers wrapped more tightly around the throat of the 21st Century American social structure.
I note how full of hate are the words that you use "assed","crap","vomit","smallminded","nasty".e tc.
Yes I wish certain types of so called christians were not so afraid of opposition,for if they were sure of the truth of christianity,as I am they would be more relaxed.
But is a side of fundamentalism practised by humans of any belief ,when they do not have the larger part of the truth,and get stuck in what 'feels 'comfortable for them ,and do not want to open up and 'change'.
Christians nowadays are in full challenge, of true change,while 'liberal progressists' fear the inner changes they will have to make, if they are to grow.
They don't yet realise, that they are the true reactionaries,who do not want to evolve to a higher state of being .
I hope they awaken before it is too late .

Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
But it is not God that made all those negative situations,but human disobedience, and corruption of
Gods laws,which are based on perfect justice,love and creativity,and allow all, who are not ego maniacs to live lives , in an ongoing existence,which is full of joy, creativity ,adventure,loving relationships ,beauty
into eternity .
The laws of God pertain to everything in the universe,from the laws of physics,the turning of the planets,
to human society.There is a small inbuilt amount of invidual flexibility,which allows for human free will ,but it is limited, and when the line is crossed ,disaster comes ,often suddenly.
All societies which suddenly end have crossed the LIMIT.

To your first question ,it is evident that you have chosen to read only small parts of the bible ,fitting to your already decided philosophy.
In the old testament people saw God as angry ,but God is not angry ,He is frustrated and probably very sad to see humans destroy themselves,and others with, their ignorance(of Him) and how He works,and then like the murderesr who ends up in jail ,blames everyone but themselves.
You see when we go it alone without the protection and guidance of God (the Light within),we become but animals,and live in darkness .We act like beasts,and mistakenly blame it on God;
This is where the belief by even some christians is wrong ,for God only allows bad things to happen ,He never ever does bad things.
Why He allows bad things to happen, is to allow us to chose to be in His Light or in dark chaos ;He allows us to chose, and so we go up or down in the system of 'evoluton .

Last edited by june 7th; 06-18-2014 at 04:33 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:

Agreed. Some people get very defensive when presented with information they see as threatening their faith. Advances in science and technology are frightening to them, because they are not comfortable with change and with gray areas, but instead want to have a book that tells them in black and white just how things are. I have tried to argue to embrace science and technology, and be open-minded as to how that can help to re-interpret their faith. I still believe that religion and science can coexist.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,242,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Agreed. Some people get very defensive when presented with information they see as threatening their faith. Advances in science and technology are frightening to them, because they are not comfortable with change and with gray areas, but instead want to have a book that tells them in black and white just how things are. I have tried to argue to embrace science and technology, and be open-minded as to how that can help to re-interpret their faith. I still believe that religion and science can coexist.
GINOLJC,
I don't mean to get into your conversation. but you're correct in saying, "we as Christians should embrace science and technology". yes, that's true science, for the Christian have nothing to be afraid of in TRUE Science. 1 Timothy 6:20 "O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called”. true science is perfect with God.

be blessed.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:47 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomTooth 359 View Post
But it is not God that made all those negative situations,but human disobedience, and corruption of
Gods laws,which are based on perfect justice,love and creativity,and allow all, who are not ego maniacs to live lives , in an ongoing existence,which is full of joy, creativity ,adventure,loving relationships ,beauty
into eternity .
The laws of God pertain to everything in the universe,from the laws of physics,the turning of the planets,
to human society.There is a small inbuilt amount of invidual flexibility,which allows for human free will ,but it is limited, and when the line is crossed ,disaster comes ,often suddenly.
All societies which suddenly end have crossed the LIMIT.

To your first question ,it is evident that you have chosen to read only small parts of the bible ,fitting to your already decided philosophy.

I've read the bible, front to back, and compared it in two languages, taken college level courses, in addition to studying the comparison of the two languages, a 7 volume concordance.

I suspect that is more than 95% of any god fearing christians who depend on what is preached from the pulpit for their understanding.

Regardless, even if what I bolded was true, what difference would that make? First of all, it is a standard and favorite christian practice (just look how often it happens in this forum), and secondly, those passages demand an answer.

I notice no one will answer the tough passages.... but obfuscate with comments similar to what you have just done..

Why won't you, or others, answer those tough passages that do not conform with what christians THINK is contained in bible?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
GINOLJC,
I don't mean to get into your conversation. but you're correct in saying, "we as Christians should embrace science and technology". yes, that's true science, for the Christian have nothing to be afraid of in TRUE Science. 1 Timothy 6:20 "O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called”. true science is perfect with God.

be blessed.
There is only one scientific method.

This illustrates the difference.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity