Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM

16,595 posts, read 15,537,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Because there are two distinct doctrines that define the Christian:

By Grace and the Triune God.
From my observation here in this forum, not every Christian agrees with you, particularly about the Triune God, and some may say there is more than Grace required to be a real Christian.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,437,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I believe in what the KJV Bible says, I don't have any need for organized religion.

I don't know much about other religions, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. Must be the culture I was born in I suppose.

The bible is the only "holy book" that starts with the story of creation In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.... Jesus rose from his tomb, Mohammed, Buddha, Ganesh, Confucious, etc. are still in theirs.

Are you suggesting that all claims in a holy book are valid, so you chose the one with the best claims?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 12:00 PM

122 posts, read 98,051 times
I don't believe it or disbelieve it, the whole area is god's job.

Last edited by Drew K; 06-16-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 12:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,761,879 times
As usual, Mike555 is on target!

Being a Christian is NOT about believing that one’s faith (or religion) is the ONLY true one. It’s about believing and trusting in the one true Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Here is a related question that may clarify the issue, with a slightly different slant:

"If you do not trust and believe in Jesus Christ as the one and only living Lord and Savior .... are you truly a Christian?" --- The truth is NO! -- (So, in this regard, 'Yes', even though Jesus Christ came as the 'Savior of Mankind', actually being a 'Christian' requires an 'exclusive' belief system).

Today, many folks are confused about this ... thinking that a 'Christian' can be almost anything: ... a 'good person', 'one who attends a Protestant church,' 'an American who is not a Muslim or some other world's religion', 'anyone who believes that God exists or that God loves them', 'someone who tries to keep the Ten Commandments,' 'someone who grew-up going to Sunday School' or 'whose father/grandfather was a preacher,' 'one who believes Jesus Christ existed or was a great teacher or prophet,' etc, etc. -- While a Christian may also fit into any of those statements, NONE of them make one a Christian (aka: follower of Jesus Christ).

Last edited by jghorton; 06-16-2014 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,278,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
As usual, Mike555 is on target with my beliefs.

Here is a related question that may clarify the issue with a slightly different slant:
"If you do not trust and believe in Jesus Christ as your one and only Lord and Savior .... can you truly be considered a Christian?" --- My vote is NO!
Gotta include the one who saved Jesus.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:19 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
As usual, Mike555 is on target with my beliefs.

Here is a related question that may clarify the issue with a slightly different slant:

"If you do not trust and believe in Jesus Christ as your one and only living Lord and Savior .... are you truly a Christian?" --- The truth is NO!

Today, many folks are confused about this ... thinking that a 'Christian' can be almost anything: ... a 'good person', 'one who attends a Protestant church,' 'an American who is not a Muslim or some other world's religion', 'anyone who believes that God exists', 'someone who tries to keep the Ten Commandments,' 'someone who grew-up going to Sunday School' or 'whose father/grandfather was a preacher,' 'one who believes Jesus Christ existed or was a great teacher or prophet,' etc, etc. -- While a Christian may also fit into any of those statements, none of them make one a Christian (aka: follower of Jesus Christ).
Thank God that the ONLY one who knows the answer to this question is God . . . NOT you or any other biased human being pretending to know the truth that IS Christ.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,898,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june01 View Post
What is the main reason that you believe traditional Christianity is the true faith of God?

I suppose this question is mainly directed towards the fundamental/evangelical believers. (That could include members of any denomination who believe that way.)
Please define your terms. What do you mean by "traditional Christianity"? Do you mean the present day traditions or the pre-Nicene traditions?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:28 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,898,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton Here is a related question that may clarify the issue with a slightly different slant:
"If you do not trust and believe in Jesus Christ as your one and only Lord and Savior .... can you truly be considered a Christian?" --- My vote is NO!
Is that what the apostle Paul, the apostle of the nations told us?

Please see Romans 4:

Wherefore, also, it is reckoned to him for righteousness." Now it was not written because of him only, that
it is reckoned to him, but because of us also, to whom it is about to be reckoned, who are believing on Him
Who rouses Jesus our Lord from among the dead." Who was given up because of our offenses, and was
roused because of our justifying." (Romans 4:22-25)

Notice nothing in that which is saying "If you just trust and believe in Christ Jesus as your one and only Lord and Saviour . . . ."

Old 06-16-2014, 12:34 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,434,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
From my observation here in this forum, not every Christian agrees with you, particularly about the Triune God, and some may say there is more than Grace required to be a real Christian.
It's like the illustration that I made in a different post

it is doctrine that determines the truth as to the who have the true the true Christian faith .... not somebody simply claiming it.

As was pointed out in an other OP... there really are but only six main tenants of Christianity in which they agree among themself as to the core principles. The core beliefs are:

1 ....... the Bible is the true word of God.
2 ....... God is Triune ..... Jesus is God
3 ....... the message of the cross
4........ Jesus rose physically from the dead
5 ....... By grace we are saved
6A ..... Saved through faith
6B ..... Works are the reflection \ the result of faith, not the contributing to being saved.

Last edited by twin.spin; 06-16-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 12:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,278,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It's like the illustration that I made in a different postit is doctrine that determines the truth .... not somebody simply claiming it.
The mentality of "well you are because you claim so ... so who am I to say otherwise" is really an admission of spiritual laziness or admission of wanton apathy for the truth.

As was pointed out ... there really are but only six main tenants of Christianity in which they agree among themself as to the core principles:
  1. the Bible is the true word of God.
  2. God is Triune ..... Jesus is God
  3. the message of the cross
  4. Jesus rose physically from the dead
  5. By grace we are saved
  6. Saved through faith
Those are your 6, but not the Bibles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity