U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,863,037 times

Advertisements

Call me crazy for making an issue of it, but I've been wondering about this song and the singer ever since I first heard it. I'm talking about a Shakira song; it can be found on her latest English language album, Oral Fixation 2.

Shakira was raised Catholic and as far as I know, she still identifies with Catholicism. However, this song of hers is surprisingly critical of God. I discussed this with another Shakira fan and that person didn't think these lyrics were inappropriate for a Catholic. I didn't think this kind of accusatory questioning was permitted, honestly. I know it's technically allowed, but isn't it frowned upon? I'm not trying to purport that someone is or is not a Catholic (she can call herself whatever she likes...that should be her right), but I was wondering what the rest of you thought of the lyrics...do they signify a person moving away from Catholicism? Moving away from theism in general? Or (if you are Catholic), do you identify with this song? Thanks for reading and sorry this wound up being so long.

"How Do You Do" (written by Shakira, save for the obvious parts that are not)

Forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who have trespassed against us
Give us this day our daily bread
Daily bread, daily bread

In Cello et In terra fiat Voluntas Tua Gloria Spiritui Sancto

What language do you speak
If you speak at all?
Are you some kind of freak
Who lives to raise the ones who fall?

Moderator cut: copyright violation-please post link to lyrics

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-17-2007 at 09:04 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM

21,282 posts, read 25,293,477 times
I am Catholic. I read the lyrics. I have no idea what she's talking about. But I wouldn't put too much stock in theology from pop singers.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:31 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,640,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Call me crazy for making an issue of it, but I've been wondering about this song and the singer ever since I first heard it. I'm talking about a Shakira song; it can be found on her latest English language album, Oral Fixation 2.

Shakira was raised Catholic and as far as I know, she still identifies with Catholicism. However, this song of hers is surprisingly critical of God. I discussed this with another Shakira fan and that person didn't think these lyrics were inappropriate for a Catholic. I didn't think this kind of accusatory questioning was permitted, honestly. I know it's technically allowed, but isn't it frowned upon? I'm not trying to purport that someone is or is not a Catholic (she can call herself whatever she likes...that should be her right), but I was wondering what the rest of you thought of the lyrics...do they signify a person moving away from Catholicism? Moving away from theism in general? Or (if you are Catholic), do you identify with this song? Thanks for reading and sorry this wound up being so long.

"How Do You Do" (written by Shakira, save for the obvious parts that are not)

Forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who have trespassed against us
Give us this day our daily bread
Daily bread, daily bread

In Cello et In terra fiat Voluntas Tua Gloria Spiritui Sancto

What language do you speak
If you speak at all?
Are you some kind of freak
Who lives to raise the ones who fall?

Moderator cut: copyright violation-please post link to lyrics

I am Catholic. I am not familiar with her music. Is this her normal 'tone' of lyrics? I personally do not see that the words in any way speak of Catholicism. She quotes some verses from The Lord's Prayer. This is not a Catholic prayer. It is a prayer given to all from Jesus Christ as an example of how we should pray. She speaks some words in Latin. Again, this does not mean that she is speaking of/referring to The Catholic Church. Personally, I don't think that the lyrics mean that she is turning away from God. Most of her questions are things that I have wondered myself. Does God cry? I believe that he certainly must feel our pain. However, I do not believe that God has/does/will ever make mistakes. I think that it is simply a song that she hopes will bring her some income. I don't think that I would read anything more into it than that.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-17-2007 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I am Catholic. I am not familiar with her music. Is this her normal 'tone' of lyrics? I personally do not see that the words in any way speak of Catholicism. She quotes some verses from The Lord's Prayer. This is not a Catholic prayer. It is a prayer given to all from Jesus Christ as an example of how we should pray. She speaks some words in Latin. Again, this does not mean that she is speaking of/referring to The Catholic Church. Personally, I don't think that the lyrics mean that she is turning away from God. Most of her questions are things that I have wondered myself. Does God cry? I believe that he certainly must feel our pain. However, I do not believe that God has/does/will ever make mistakes. I think that it is simply a song that she hopes will bring her some income. I don't think that I would read anything more into it than that.
As for the tone question, I'd say no, with a few exceptions. She wrote and recorded a song in 1996 called "Se Quiere, se Mata" which criticized a woman for having an abortion. In '98 (I think it was), her song "Donde Estan Los Ladrones?" was some kind of social commentary on how anyone, including people of authority we sometimes trust, can sometimes act without concern for morality. The same album included "Octavo Dia," a song she wrote with the premise that on the eighth day, God came back to see how the world He created was faring, and He was very disappointed to see that people had already turned from Him and started worshiping false gods. She used this song during her Tour of the Mongoose to criticize George W. Bush for his policies regarding the war in Iraq. (I guess she meant to insinuate that Bush is not a Christian). But these are exceptions, I think. The vast majority of her songs are simply romantic.

But I was wondering if people would say that the questions she asks are the same ones that they have asked as well--so thanks for responding on that subject.

I didn't think the Lord Prayer's was specifically Catholic, but wasn't sure.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,842 times
I think Shakira is merely a confused person, like so many others. I don't blame her for asking some of those questions. It probably resonates with many people, but does she have to ask God if he is a freak? I think that is stepping over the lines, showing that she has no reverence or respect for God. If she was raised a Catholic, or any kind of Christian, she clearly must have moved away from what she was brought up to believe.

Good luck Shakira, in finding the answer to your questions. I pray that God Himself will answer them..

By the way, the Lord's prayer is not a Catholic prayer, but a prayer given by Jesus for all believers to use..

Old 07-27-2010, 09:02 AM

4,238 posts, read 6,611,861 times
I think Madonna was also raised "catholic"

Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,511,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I think Madonna was also raised "catholic"
'Nuf said.

This thread is kind of silly. It's like getting your politics from Hollywood stars. Not really a good idea.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 PM

4,238 posts, read 6,611,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
'Nuf said.

This thread is kind of silly. It's like getting your politics from Hollywood stars. Not really a good idea.

Nuf said?

(I was hoping to distract from the et/ur debates)

Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,511,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Nuf said?

(I was hoping to distract from the et/ur debates)
Sorry.......yea, I don't understand these lyrics, it's just not like a good Catholic. What was she thinking?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Actually, the Lord's Prayer is a Catholic prayer considering that Jesus founded the Catholic Church and it was the Catholic Church that gathered the Scriptures and canonized them. Really, sometimes I think Protestants believe that Church history began at the Reformation. Church history begins at the Incarnation and was 100% Catholic until the Great Schism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity