Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
So you didn't answer me, just more empty double-speak.

Is it love to turn your back on a brother or sister in Christ who has become ensnared in sin? Yes or no?
Yes it is. For i trust that the Father can do what i cannot. It is the goodness of God that causes a man to repent. Go and read the parable of the prodigal son, and tell me where it states that someone went to him and showed him is fault. You won't. I have no doubt whatsoever that his Father saw him on a daily basis returned to the fold. Like i said faith calls the things that are not as though they are.

You know what you have not answered anything i asked you. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 01:36 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Oh please, do not pretend you love someone for telling them their fault. The Father gave his prodigal son his inheritance and let him go, why is it you bible fundamentalists cannot do likewise and have faith that the love of the Father will bring him back to his senses ?.
So according to your version of love, you would let them drown in sin and do nothing because God will take care of it? That is the complete opposite of what Jesus taught in Matthew.

Did Jesus teach us to simply wait for the lost sheep to return? I'll let you answer that one.

Honestly, I dot believe you understand confronting someone in love. It is not judging, it is caring for their walk with God. We are to help each other, lift each other up, hold each other accountable so that we may grow in our walk with God.

There is no love in what you are preaching.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. For i trust that the Father can do what i cannot.
Jesus said, "If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother."

You are at odds with the Word of God, never a good place to be.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:45 PM

63,778 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I asked JMaxx how he would treat tax collectors and pagans, not what the bible says. Are you saying that if don't think the bible addresses a specific group of people, you don't know how you should treat them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What I said is in the part you edited out. If you had not removed it you would not have to ask what I was saying. As for Matthew 18, reading about Jewish customs might help you understand what Jesus meant.
Again you miss the point, Finn . . . you are compiling quite a record of doing so. The point is the question in bold. Are Christians not able to know how to treat people if they are not mentioned in the Bible??? Do you see the absurdity of such a view? We know how to treat people because Christ told us to "love God and each other."

Old 06-30-2014, 01:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, a group of people listening to what they claim is the Spirit give them different answers to the same question.
In exactly the same way that a group of people who claim authority for the Bible fail to come to an agreement on what it means?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Again you miss the point, Finn . . . you are compiling quite a record of doing so. The point is the question in bold. Are Christians not able to know how to treat people if they are not mentioned in the Bible??? Do you see the absurdity of such a view? We know how to treat people because Christ told us to "love God and each other."
You do realize that love take many forms? When I punish my son for disobedience, that is love. When I take my son fishing, that is love. When I sacrifice for him, that is love. When I bail him out of jail, that is love.

Jesus told us to treat those who refuse to repent of sin as tax collectors and pagans. How is that? Look to the example of Jesus. We should continually show them the love of God through our witness and testimony! However, God says in His word that you will 'know them by their fruits' and if someone is living in unrepentant sin, their fruit is wicked and they are removed from the church, but not from our hearts.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Yes it is. For i trust that the Father can do what i cannot. It is the goodness of God that causes a man to repent. Go and read the parable of the prodigal son, and tell me where it states that someone went to him and showed him is fault. You won't. I have no doubt whatsoever that his Father saw him on a daily basis returned to the fold. Like i said faith calls the things that are not as though they are.

You know what you have not answered anything i asked you. Lol
Yea .. why don't you read the parable of the prodigal son.
Nowhere does it hint that the Father welcomed the son back until the son first repented.
“When he came to his senses, he said, 'I will set out and go back to my father and say to him:Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.' "

>>>>> So he got up and went to his father. <<<<<<

“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ "
gee ... wonder why Jesus message was that of "r e p e n t a n c e"
gee ... wonder why the Apostles preached " r e p e n t a n c e "
Acts 2:38
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 20:21
I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Acts 26:20
First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Jesus said, "If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother."

You are at odds with the Word of God, never a good place to be.
You are at odds with what Jesus taught in the parable of the prodigal, and assuming you have the right and authority to judge another, is an extremely dangerous place to be, especially trying to justify it by saying you are doing it in love. There is no one to change but self(let this sink in) . I can actually hear the prodigals brother saying " i always knew he was no good, he took his inheritance and lived it up, did everything i would never have dreamt of doing what he's done", not knowing the whole time that his Father was seeing beyond all that and seeing his prodigal son at his table once more. Now this takes faith.

By the way, i have no doubt Jesus said about going showing your brother his fault was for the purpose of those who do not understand how much they have been forgiven.

Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."

Old 06-30-2014, 01:57 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Don't waist your feeling sorry for me, your believing in a half truth is still a full lie that Satan uses to mislead people.

Jesus didn't say "You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?" if it wasn't factual when Jesus also said:
But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed,
has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

Okay, I think you're right that feeling sorry for people isn't productive. I like pcamps idea better. I will see you (and all of us) fully comprehending the breadth and length and depth and height of the love of Christ which passes knowledge, and being filled with the fullness of God.

As far as fearing "him", immediately following Jesus says we should fear not since we are so valuable to God. So, this passage, as I see it, is obviously not talking about fearing God. God is not the destroyer ... satan is. Satan, the Adversary: those false beliefs that separate us in our mind from the love of God.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Yea .. why don't you read the parable of the prodigal son.
Nowhere does it hint that the Father welcomed the son back until the son first repented.
“When he came to his senses, he said, 'I will set out and go back to my father and say to him:Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.' "

>>>>> So he got up and went to his father. <<<<<<

“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ "
gee ... wonder why Jesus message was that of "r e p e n t a n c e"
gee ... wonder why the Apostles preached " r e p e n t a n c e "
Acts 2:38
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 20:21
I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Acts 26:20
First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.

Do you not know that it is the goodness of God that leads a man to repentance( back to himself) ? It is right there in your bible you claim you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity