Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,644,620 times

Advertisements

Thrill, I'm not particularly enamored with Paul's writings either---particularly when it is so easy for fundies to cherry-pick them and elevate those pickings above Jesus' teaching. But he was a fallible man doing his best to express the faith that he discovered---like all of us.

On the other hand, the suicide rate among "Christians" may be high, because those killing themselves have been deeply involved with religion, without ever having been deeply involved with Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:23 PM

63,367 posts, read 39,631,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Thrill, I'm not particularly enamored with Paul's writings either---particularly when it is so easy for fundies to cherry-pick them and elevate those pickings above Jesus' teaching. But he was a fallible man doing his best to express the faith that he discovered---like all of us.
On the other hand, the suicide rate among "Christians" may be high, because those killing themselves have been deeply involved with religion, without ever having been deeply involved with Christ.
Amen, Warden. It is all too easy to become depressed beyond reason when you have been told from an early age that all your normal feelings and desires . . . not to mention foibles and failings . . . are "filthy rags" and you are a pathetic wretch deserving of eternal torment if you don't reject them and believe whatever nonsense the flavor is of the religion you are raised in. Religions have a heavy burden and a lot to account for. Christ would NEVER have wanted the evil, condemning, intolerant nonsense that passes for religion today.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,243,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen, Warden. It is all too easy to become depressed beyond reason when you have been told from an early age that all your normal feelings and desires . . . not to mention foibles and failings . . . are "filthy rags" and you are a pathetic wretch deserving of eternal torment if you don't reject them and believe whatever nonsense the flavor is of the religion you are raised in. Religions have a heavy burden and a lot to account for. Christ would NEVER have wanted the evil, condemning, intolerant nonsense that passes for religion today.
Wasn't it Jesus who said this:
“If another believer sins against you, go privately and point out the offense. If the other person listens and confesses it, you have won that person back. But if you are unsuccessful, take one or two others with you and go back again, so that everything you say may be confirmed by two or three witnesses. If the person still refuses to listen, take your case to the church. Then if he or she won’t accept the church’s decision, treat that person as a pagan or a corrupt tax collector."
I put it in red, because it's red in my Bible, meaning Jesus said it. He also told the adulterous woman to 'sin no more.' Jesus frequently passed judgment on various people because of their sin.

2 Timothy says:
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
The new-age liberal churches today that have watered down the perfect righteousness of God and replaced it with a false idol of empty love and superficial tolerance preach a perverted gospel that makes excuses for their own sinful lives. They have turned away from the truth, that we are not to be of this world, we are to be set apart and holy.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:16 AM

37,336 posts, read 28,038,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Wasn't it Jesus who said this:
“If another believer sins against you, go privately and point out the offense. If the other person listens and confesses it, you have won that person back. But if you are unsuccessful, take one or two others with you and go back again, so that everything you say may be confirmed by two or three witnesses. If the person still refuses to listen, take your case to the church. Then if he or she won’t accept the church’s decision, treat that person as a pagan or a corrupt tax collector."
I put it in red, because it's red in my Bible, meaning Jesus said it. He also told the adulterous woman to 'sin no more.' Jesus frequently passed judgment on various people because of their sin.

2 Timothy says:
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
The new-age liberal churches today that have watered down the perfect righteousness of God and replaced it with a false idol of empty love and superficial tolerance preach a perverted gospel that makes excuses for their own sinful lives. They have turned away from the truth, that we are not to be of this world, we are to be set apart and holy.
I will not share what actually happened, but a family member of mine did something to me just over 2 weeks that you would be astounded if i told you. I am neither waiting for him to say sorry nor am i treating him like a pagan or tax collector, i have no hard feelings whatsoever. If i can walk in unconditional forgiveness towards another how much more can our Heavenly Father?.

Jesus did not pass judgement up on the woman who the fundamentalists threw at his feet. If you believe Jesus was threatening her not to sin no more, you need to change what you are using to read through. She had a life changing moment just like the woman at the well and in doing so were going to sin no more( leaving their life of unbelief to one of faith in God).

Did God say to you when you believed, go sin no more ?.

Last edited by pcamps; 06-29-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 AM

32,529 posts, read 21,825,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Just about everything that you post!!! This new thread of yours for example.

No, he did not admit to lying to get people into the kingdom.
1 Cor. 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21] to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22] To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.
Excerpt:
'He adapted his teaching to their thought in their culture to reach them. He divides the world into the religious with the law, (Jews) and the Gentiles, without the law.'
What did Paul mean by- he became all things to all men

That is not lying. Paul was saying that he taught in different ways in order to reach different people and cultures.

A person's failure to apply the Word of God to their life does not negate the reality of a promise that God made. Any temptation can be met and endured by depending on God who is faithful.

Your constant attacks on the Bible, and on the apostle Paul are very telling about you. And your name calling - you just called Paul a ''no good son of a *****'' , is uncalled for.
When one is not honest about who they are or what they represent, how is that not lying or deception?...

Old 06-29-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Thrill these threads make you look foolish, no offense but picking one verse and coming out with a crazy thought especially on a person like Paul who was changed dramatically by the Holy Spirit.
How do you know he was changed?...

Old 06-29-2014, 07:55 AM

32,881 posts, read 26,100,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
When one is not honest about who they are or what they represent, how is that not lying or deception?...
Paul never compromised the gospel message which is salvation by grace through faith, and not by works, whether speaking to the Jews or to the Gentiles. He was never dishonest about what he represented. While not under the law, when trying to gain a hearing with the Jews Paul was willing to subject himself to the scruples of the Jews as in Acts 21:20-24.

Last edited by Michael Way; 06-29-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Paul made no such promise. He said that God provides a way out of temptation. Providing a 'way out' is not a promise that you will be forced to take it. It's just common sense.

The fact that people choose by their own will not to take the way out is not the fault of God, nor any problem with Paul.

As for your other cherry-picking, a study of the full passages, including context shows that you are misinterpreting the text.
James 1:

*12* Happy the man who doth endure temptation, because, becoming approved, he shall receive the crown of the life, which the Lord did promise to those loving Him.

*13* Let no one say, being tempted--`From God I am tempted,' for God is not tempted of evil, and Himself doth tempt no one,

*14* and each one is tempted, by his own desires being led away and enticed,

*15* afterward the desire having conceived, doth give birth to sin, and the sin having been perfected, doth bring forth death.

*16* Be not led astray, my brethren beloved.

It seems James states the opposite of Paul...

Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Paul never compromised the gospel message whether speaking to the Jews or to the Gentiles. He was never dishonest about what he represented.
Being double tongued is okay in your book?...I become all things to all people so that I might save some, to the drunkard, a drunkard, to the homosexual, a homosexual, to the murderer, a murderer, to the pedophile, a pedophile, to the cereal killer, I become as a cereal killer, all that I might save some...And this line of thinking is not deceptive to you?...Are you telling me that Paul was the first undercover agent in history?...One does not jump into shark infested waters to save a person, they throw that person a life preserver with a rope tied to it in order to pull that person to safety...Just as one is told to shake the dust off of one's feet and move on, not to pretend that you are one of them...

Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Paul never compromised the gospel message which is salvation by grace through faith, and not by works, whether speaking to the Jews or to the Gentiles. He was never dishonest about what he represented. While not under the law, when trying to gain a hearing with the Jews Paul was willing to subject himself to the scruples of the Jews as in Acts 21:20-24.
Mark 10:
17 And as he is going forth into the way, one having run and having kneeled to him, was questioning him, `Good teacher, what may I do, that life age-during I may inherit?'

*18* And Jesus said to him, `Why me dost thou call good? no one is good except One--God;

*19* the commands thou hast known: Thou mayest not commit adultery, Thou mayest do no murder, Thou mayest not steal, Thou mayest not bear false witness, Thou mayest not defraud, Honour thy father and mother.'

*20* And he answering said to him, `Teacher, all these did I keep from my youth.'

*21* And Jesus having looked upon him, did love him, and said to him, `One thing thou dost lack; go away, whatever thou hast--sell, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, be following me, having taken up the cross.'

Luke 18:
*19* And Jesus said to him, `Why me dost thou call good? no one is good, except One--God;

*20* the commands thou hast known: Thou mayest not commit adultery, Thou mayest do no murder, Thou mayest not steal, Thou mayest not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.'

*21* And he said, `All these I did keep from my youth;'

*22* and having heard these things, Jesus said to him, `Yet one thing to thee is lacking; all things--as many as thou hast--sell, and distribute to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, be following me;'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity