Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:26 PM

217 posts, read 146,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
But it's OK for you to make incorrect and ignorant comments about Reformed believers. What hypocrisy you display. We have absolutely no idea at all who God will call to himself and we are totally under the command to "Love our neighbour". Not just to love our Brother, even the pagans do that.
What is my incorrect and ignorant comment that you call me a hypocrite on? I did not call anyone foolish. You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth, by the way. Niagara Falls is one of my favorite vacation spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 03:17 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
I wanted to step back for a few days and reconsider much of what I wrote.

First of all it was DEAD WRONG of me to have called Paul a "no-good SOB". I apologize profusely to those I offended for that crass remark. It popped out in the last seconds of the OP and that's no excuse, but I was impulsive.

Paul may have been rash in his methods of trying to win souls to Christ, so fervent was his convictions. Often in someone's mind the end justifies the means. Was that the case with Paul? We won't know till we get the chance to ask him. It's an unresolvable question and some will believe one way (he was deceptive) while others will believe another (his methods were perfectly honorable, if misunderstood).

Now as far as 1 Corinthians 10:13 being a failed promise, I have read two opinions: 1. overall, the promise fails--that's my opinion and a few here agree with me, and 2. the promise does not fail; we fail God. This is expressed by the quotes below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
So GOD is not failing Christians. He is Faithful in what He promised, but sometimes WE aren't faithful to Him.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post

First of all, didn't Jesus teach MANY would come ' in his name ' but prove false in Matthew chapter 7 ?
So, the suicide rate is among ' professed Christians ' in general [ fake weed/tares Christians ]

The clergy of Christendom [ Acts 20 vs 29,30 ] have proved to be false shepherds.
They have often partaken of the symbolic table of demons - 1st Cor. 10 vs 20,21
They often sit themselves in the ' temple ' [ houses of worship ] as if they are God when in reality they are anti-God.
Now Matthew 4:4 I think is wrong to equate Christians who commit suicide as being the tares that Jesus spoke of in Matthew 7. Jesus was referring to believers and professed "unbelievers", not sincere believers and insincere ones. That aside, it's completely unrealistic and downright insulting to those Christians who did commit suicide in the throes of despair to automatically assume they are tares and fit for burning simply because despair overwhelmed them to the point they took their own lives, not to mention automatically assuming they failed God and God is inculpable of their deaths simply because Paul wrote it therefore it must be the true word of God.

Many of these Christians who either left the faith or committed suicide were just as faithful, true good Christians as the best of the best of them, but certain psychological issues overwhelmed them and they couldn't go on with their lives. Ultimately, we cannot put the blame on the Christians who killed themselves, as Matthew 4:4 tries to do. I mean they can't ALL be fake/false Christians. Nor can we put blame on God, who is without reproach. So responsibility in the end has to fall to Paul for writing something that cannot possibly be a cure-all for Christians ills as many believe it to be.

Those who want to let Paul off the hook say that it is the fault of Christians for misinterpreting the verse; that God gives every Christian a way out but that Christians fail to take it. I find it very difficult to think that all Christians who are dead from suicide or reprobate did what they did because they misinterpreted a single verse. In the final analysis they couldn't get hold of themselves and sought the best way out their addled brains could think of.

So for me the verse doesn't fail all Christians maybe, but it definitely fails some and frankly, if it fails even one, let alone tens of thousands, it doesn't belong in Holy Scripture.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
1 Corinthians 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21] to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22] To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.

You don't understand and are therefore distorting what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:20-22. He was simply referring to his differing approaches to Jews and Gentiles, and to the weak, in order to gain a hearing for the gospel message. 'To those are without law' is a reference to the Gentiles. He did not become as a drunk, or a murderer, or the other things you listed.
9:22. In his references to Jews and Gentiles in the preceding verses, Paul explained his voluntary restraint of freedom in order to reach unbelievers with the gospel. Some suggest that the weak in this verse refers to Jews and Gentiles together in a state of unbelief and so was intended to summarize Paul's previously stated convictions (cf. Rom. 5:6 where ''the weak'' are also called ''the ungodly''). It is more likely, however, that Paul was referring explicitly to the weak Corinthians described in 1 Corinthians 8:9-11 (cf. Jew, Greeks, and the church of God in 10:32). His concern to win them was not in the preliminary sense of justification as in the case of unbelieving Jews and Gentiles (9:20-21) but to win the Corinthians in terms of sanctification and maturity in Christ (cf. Matt. 18:15) --- and so to save them for God's ongoing work in their lives (cf. 1 Cor. 5:5; 8:11). Paul's condescension to the scruples and customs of all men (cf. ''everyone'' in 9:19) found application on a momentary case-by-case basis since it would be impossible to satisfy simultaneously the penchants of both Jews and Gentiles alike.

[The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty, pp. 524-525]
Man's opinion...

Old 07-01-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
For you to conclude that then we too must reiterate the same condolences
You are just a poor child that doesn't realize that you've been led astray...I feel so sad for you...
Tsk tsk...

Old 07-01-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus was replying to someone who thought that He must keep the law to be saved, and so told him what he had to do under the law to be saved. But no one can keep the law perfectly and so no one can be saved by trying to keep the law.

As recorded in John 6:27-29, Jesus corrected the crowd who thought there were works of God that they could do to be saved by telling them that there was only one thing they could do to be saved. And that one thing was to believe in Him.
So, we are not under the Law?...

Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

(I love it that I'm not the only one who gets words mixed up sometimes when posting on here. )
It was deliberate...

Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

First of all it was DEAD WRONG of me to have called Paul a "no-good SOB". I apologize profusely to those I offended for that crass remark. It popped out in the last seconds of the OP and that's no excuse, but I was impulsive.
Matthew 12:34b - For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.

Matthew 15:18
- But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.

No need to apologize for being yourself and continuing to accuse the brethren. Others just need to make sure they see you for who you are.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:22 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No need to apologize for being yourself and continuing to accuse the brethren. Others just need to make sure they see you for who you are.
The Christian love and charity that exudes from these fundies is unbelievable!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Christian love and charity that exudes from these fundies is unbelievable!!!
What should I have said? I suggested he keep being himself.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:31 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
What should I have said?
"It is Okay, brother. We all just witness to our understanding and sometimes we get carried away by our emotions. Peace." . . . something like that would have been more appropriate for a Christian response in "love of God and each other," IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity