Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:53 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,454 times

Advertisements

Some people take one commandment and turn it into a theology of it's own but neglect all the others. The first and greatest commandment is to love God as Jesus said. He said to abide or remain in His love not agape love. Never said it. He said, "Abide in my love. You will abide in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Father's commandments and live in His love. " He describes what the commandments are when He said that the Father commanded Him what to say. Those are the commandments. Whatever God told the son to say is what God commanded. Since the son is the truth, the word of God, then the commandments or what God commanded the son to say is the word of God. So to remain in His love is to remain or abide in the word of God as Jesus did by spreading it. That is why Jesus said His followers were sent into the world as He was sent with the same words and to continue in His word.

Reference;

"The Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment is eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me."

"The man who hears my word puts it to use."

Can you abide in the love of Christ as He did ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:03 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Some people take one commandment and turn it into a theology of it's own but neglect all the others. The first and greatest commandment is to love God as Jesus said. He said to abide or remain in His love not agape love. Never said it. He said, "Abide in my love. You will abide in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Father's commandments and live in His love. " He describes what the commandments are when He said that the Father commanded Him what to say. Those are the commandments. Whatever God told the son to say is what God commanded. Since the son is the truth, the word of God, then the commandments or what God commanded the son to say is the word of God. So to remain in His love is to remain or abide in the word of God as Jesus did by spreading it. That is why Jesus said His followers were sent into the world as He was sent with the same words and to continue in His word.
Nonsense. God IS agape love. That does NOT mean He has agape love. It means that is what He IS and it is not possible NOT to be in His love when we love. Everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. When you are guided by perfect agape love it is not possible for you to sin or harm anyone else and commandments are irrelevant. We are not here to OBEY . . . we are here to LOVE. Unfortunately we do not have perfect agape love for all life . . . but we don't need to be perfect because Jesus achieved it for us all. We just need to achieve some imperfect resonance (harmony) with His love for us all to gain the cover of His grace for our imperfections. That is why He instructed His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when they didn't. If we fail at that our imperfections will be refined out as dross after death and rebirth as Spirit.

Malachi 3:1-3 King James Version (KJV)

3 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts.

2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:39 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:

Reference;

"The Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment is eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me."

The word translated into English as 'love' in John 15:10 is the Greek Noun 'agape.'

John 15:10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love (agapē); just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love (agapē).

Click on the link and read to see the Greek as well as the English. - John 15:10 Interlinear: if my commandments ye may keep, ye shall remain in my love, according as I the commands of my Father have kept, and do remain in His love;

Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
"To remain in love; you must be in love."

Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:

Did you notice that the quote says "commandment" as in singular? Now let's relate that to "commandments" plural as in 10 or even as in 615. Jesus said, "Behold I give you a new commandment (singular)." Now John sort of explained this in 1 John 2 when he said, "7Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard. 8On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining. 9The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now. 10The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him.…"

What we are saying is not that the commandment is new, but that it takes the place of, "fulfills" the purpose and intent of the rest. It is not a matter of laws or rules, it is a matter of the love (agape) that IS the light by which we are guided.

"Can you abide in the love of Christ as He did?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:32 PM

You reject the word of Jesus and His love. God's ways are not mans ways.

He says that the man who loves Him will keep His commandments. The greatest commandment is to love God and He says that to love Him is to keep His commandments. He said that the man who loves Him will keep His word. Put those together as well as the original post and the verses provided and it shows that to keep the word of God and spread it is loving God and your neighbor by providing your neighbor with God's word as Jesus did.

Reference;" The man who loves me will keep my commandments"

"The man who loves me keeps my word."

"My ways are not your ways nor are my thoughts your thoughts. As high as the heavens are above the earth that is how high my ways are above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts."

Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Did you notice that the quote says "commandment" as in singular? Now let's relate that to "commandments" plural as in 10 or even as in 615. Jesus said, "Behold I give you a new commandment (singular)." Now John sort of explained this in 1 John 2 when he said, "7Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard. 8On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining. 9The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now. 10The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him.…"

What we are saying is not that the commandment is new, but that it takes the place of, "fulfills" the purpose and intent of the rest. It is not a matter of laws or rules, it is a matter of the love (agape) that IS the light by which we are guided.

"Can you abide in the love of Christ as He did?
Did you notice He said that He was commanded what to say and sent His followers as He was sent to abide in His word which is the truth, the word of God.

You bend it because you cannot do it.

"Whoever is not willing to follow after me is not worthy of me."

"Whoever would serve me must follow me."

Old 06-28-2014, 06:44 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Did you notice He said that He was commanded what to say and sent His followers as He was sent to abide in His word which is the truth, the word of God.

You bend it because you cannot do it.

"Whoever is not willing to follow after me is not worthy of me."

"Whoever would serve me must follow me."
Well, Peacefiver, as to my capability to follow Jesus, that really isn't the issue. Let me ask you why you think God wants nus to obey Him, keeping in mind that He loves us?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, Peacefiver, as to my capability to follow Jesus, that really isn't the issue. Let me ask you why you think God wants nus to obey Him, keeping in mind that He loves us?
You are thinking like man to try to understand God. It is not possible to understand God unless you think like God. One must seek to find. God is only found by those who serve Him and keep His commandments. Why?

I can only say that it is because that is what He wants. God loves those who keep His word and His commandments. Jesus said that is who God loves and He loves but people try to understand God by thinking in human terms. Can't be done because Gods ways are not mans ways and His thoughts are not mans thoughts.

Remember the verse;

"The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and the man who loves me will be loved by my Father, I too shall love him and reveal myself to him. "

"The man who loves me keeps my word and my Father will love him and we will come and dwell within him."

Old 06-28-2014, 11:53 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:

Agape love vs the love of the Christ

??

Versus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity