Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:40 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,808 times

Advertisements

You’ll never believe what’s drawing Millennials to church…by Meredith Flynn

Quote:
Capitol Hill [Baptist Church, Washington, D.C.] isn’t doing what most churches do to try to reach Millennials. Lately, the normal prescription is a relaxed dress code, coffee bar in the lobby, and maybe a violinist in the worship band. But here in Washington, what’s reaching Millennials is orderliness. And 5-minute prayers (four of them). And a 55-minute sermon based on one chapter of Psalms.

Praise the Lord. Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 05:29 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
I think people are sick of the religiosity of Christianity. I think things such as a relaxed dress code is a good idea. The Lord repeatedly talks about the important thing being a clean heart. Modest dress is the only thing really that has Biblical merit. I personally don't care for the idea of these huge churches with the great stained glass windows and all that make people marvel at the works of Man. On the other hand, I don't care for the intentional brick-layer building for the purpose of being super bland. I don't think God's worried about the building but the people in the assembly. I think it's a good idea to help make things more comfortable for people like this for the physical setting. As long as they are preaching the word faithfully feeding the sheep with God's truth preaching repentance and faith to a living relationship with God in Jesus Christ I think it's good.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I think people are sick of the religiosity of Christianity. I think things such as a relaxed dress code is a good idea. The Lord repeatedly talks about the important thing being a clean heart. Modest dress is the only thing really that has Biblical merit. I personally don't care for the idea of these huge churches with the great stained glass windows and all that make people marvel at the works of Man. On the other hand, I don't care for the intentional brick-layer building for the purpose of being super bland. I don't think God's worried about the building but the people in the assembly. I think it's a good idea to help make things more comfortable for people like this for the physical setting. As long as they are preaching the word faithfully feeding the sheep with God's truth preaching repentance and faith to a living relationship with God in Jesus Christ I think it's good.
Men in shorts, jeans, sandals, etc are common in my church. Women also dress very casually. Sunday clothes disappeared from my parish years ago.

However, parishioners like the more traditional stuff.

Modern music does not cut it. They prefer the classics. And some still prefer the Latin language.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
I absolutely refuse to "dress up" for church. HATE it. i only dress up for work. after that, those clothes stay in the closet.

I am seeing various news articles about millenials who were deemed as shallow now are stepping up and actually embracing some traditional things in politics and now here.

I think people tried a lot of gimmicks to bring people to church, (like the coffee or the violin thing) but now i see in this picture the people really want solid bible teaching, which gives me hope for the millenials who were talked bad about not too long ago. maybe they are maturing.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:39 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,992 times
Churches have always been social gatherings.

The difference lies in the mores and standards of the time.

As today's society is more relaxed, so have churches become.

It's natural and expected.

If you want casual, take a look at Pope Francis. Not of the bling of the past.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:20 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,576 times
I play violin in a worship band. :-)

Old 06-29-2014, 02:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I play violin in a worship band. :-)

Old 06-29-2014, 03:27 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
That describes every megachurch. The difference is the megachurch has grown so much it has it's own teen ministry.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:39 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
God looks more at the heart not the external. What you wear on the outside at a church or what musical instruments are used is not important. It's what you wear on the inside that matters. It's what's going on inside your heart and how you make that connection. God takes you as you are if your willing to trust to give him your heart.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:58 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
As I said, folks in Catholic Churches often dress casually, but I cannot stomach men in shorts and sandals or women in scraggy sweat pants with dirty tennis shoes.

SOme young women dress in very short skirts with high heels too-------the whole spectrum is there. The more conservative men and women still wear Sunday clothes. Jeans for church are a no no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity