Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
We have learned to die rather than live so we leave this experience on earth far to soon.

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither-- whatever they do prospers. Psalm 1:3
I agree camps, we have learned to die, now it is past time we learn to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 09:33 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I agree camps, we have learned to die, now it is past time we learn to live.
Christians of all people should be living longer prosperous healthier lives. Fear of death takes its toll on a person, knowing we have passed from death to life(1 John 3:14) as the opposite effect.

With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation. Psalm 91:16

and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. Hebrews 2:15.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:34 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Hey, gotta go. I'll respond later. Happy 4th to whomever is celebrating!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I have never understood the mentality of:

"Choose this day, whom you will serve; lest you die forever."

The highest culminating point of man’s Religion is sin and death?

Quote:
don't recall ever reading that scripture Jer, can you supply ch. and verse please.

could be just a different translation then the ones I have, but would like to read it.
You won't read it in the context of Scripture that way - "lest you die forever."
It's predicated on the mentality of those who have come to fear their own mortality.

As stated:

"The Pinnacle of Sin and Death is the highest culminating point of man’s Religion."

In essence, it's the fear of the unknown, which is yet over the horizon; as men speculate.
A swarm of butterflies would appear as floating flowers, when seen from a distance.

Last edited by Jerwade; 07-04-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
As far as we know Enoch, Moses and Elijah did not die.
Enoch "walked" with God but he like the others, experienced the state of dying?
Do we now, move from one extreme to that of another, or is there an intermediate?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Enoch "walked" with God but he like the others, experienced the state of dying?
Do we now, move from one extreme to that of another, or is there an intermediate?
He probably lost his birthday suit in the transition.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
He probably lost his birthday suit in the transition.
What? No undergarments?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You won't read it in the context of Scripture that way - "lest you die forever."
It's predicated on the mentality of those who have come to fear their own mortality.

As stated:

"The Pinnacle of Sin and Death is the highest culminating point of man’s Religion."

In essence, it's the fear of the unknown, which is yet over the horizon; as men speculate.
A swarm of butterflies would appear as floating flowers, when seen from a distance.
What I am saying has nothing to do with fear of death or my own mortality brother, what I am trying to show is that death and mortality is swallowed up in Christ, we are now a NEW CREATURE in Christ Jesus, death and mortality have no hold on us.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:08 PM

there is a story in the OT that I believe shows the two different perspective very well.

1. perspective: we do not have to die but can have resurrection life right now, we can inherit the promise.
2. perspective: we have to die in order for our spirit to be set free, we have to die first to inherit the promise.

The story.

When the people of Israel came to the land of Canaan ( the land of promise) Moses sent spies into the land to search out the land. Joshua and Caleb being among the spies.

All the spies, save Joshua and Caleb, came back and said we cannot enter the land right now as there are to many giants in the land.

Joshua and Caleb said we are well able to go up and take the land.

Now because of the unbelief that they could not enter into the land of promise all those who disbelieved died in the wilderness.

Joshua and Caleb who believed they could go up and take the land were the only ones of their generation who entered the land of promise and did not die in the wilderness.

Brothers and sister, are you like Joshua and Caleb who believe we can enter into the promise land right here, right now or are you like those who in unbelief will die in the wilderness?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
What I am saying has nothing to do with fear of death or my own mortality brother, what I am trying to show is that death and mortality is swallowed up in Christ, we are now a NEW CREATURE in Christ Jesus, death and mortality have no hold on us.
I understand, but to be born again carries the connotation of "anew."
In other words, a renewing of the mind and heart in this life.

The life hereafter is predicated on the suppositions of men.
However, I truly believe that nothing dies forever.

I further believe that Christ Jesus exemplified that of having no fear:

"For death is but a moment in the path of our journey."

There is no reason to wonder in the wilderness, if you have this knowing.

Last edited by Jerwade; 07-04-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity